• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I am loving anything on a Volquartsen Mk3 or 22/45 frame... These things are too much damn fun:

A933509C-BAA1-48DF-9F29-1F2AA705B420_zpsot5j5l4i.jpg

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Ruger Old Model Single Six

Excellent action and trigger. Looks cool. Two cylinders for .22LR/L/S and .22 magnum. Cylinders are easy to swap out. A real joy to shoot.

I say Old Model because I have never shot a New Model.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    Colt 1911 rail gun 22LR (made by Walther)
    Full size and weight 1911...very accurate and has the feel and action of a 1911, well, except less firepower

O1980RG.jpg

Bagpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Haltom City, Tx
    Over the years, I've had several .22 pistols and revolvers; and out of all of them, I have three that I would hate to chose between: a Ruger Mark II Target with the 6 & 7/8 inch barrel, a Dan Wesson with a couple barrels, and a Thompson Super '14 Contender with a 2X Leupold scope. My daughter leans toward the Ruger, though.

TxTsar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2014
    Mine is a pre-WWII S&W five screw. Only six shots but accuracy can not be beat!
    I would recommend any S&W revolver chambered for 22lr.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    #1 S&W Model 41

#2 High Standard Supermatic Citation

#3 S&W Mod 17 K-22 revolver.

#4 Ruger Mark 2 Slab side Governent model

Two of these are shown in the picture above although I prefer the 5" (or 5 1/2") model 41. The Ruger is of the same breed as the slab side but shorter and in blue.

Flash

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    My favorite .22 lr handgun I have shot is Ruger's Old Model Single Six.

Excellent action, good feel, good trigger, good accuracy, good looks.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    The model 41 is definitely a thing of beauty. I've owned a number over the years and believe through personal experience the Bangor Punta era pistols from about 1970 to 1980 were the best of their kind.

The model 17 is hard to argue with. It and it's variations have been in continuous production for about 80 years. Of the breed, I prefer the 4" model 18 over the model 17 for balance. It resolves the muzzle heaviness of the 18 while maintaining the swiss watch like clockworks.

If you're going to mention wheelguns, the Ruger Single Six Convertible is worthy of note, only because in .22 magnum it's probably unbeatable.

I've always been an admirer of the Ruger Mark line of pistols. Say what you will about them, they are probably the most reliable, ammo tolerant .22 auto loader out there. My favorite of these is the MkII Competition Target, while the MKIII Target has really grown on me if for no other reason than the mag release button. In all it's forms it delivers reasonable accuracy at an affordable price.

A couple not pictured are the Colt Woodsman 2nd series Match Target and the High Standard HD Military. The 2nd Series Woodsman was arguably a better pistol than the 41, better balance and point-ability, less ammo sensitive and more accurate. The HD Military equaled the 2nd Series Woodsman in all these respects and I'm always on the look out for another -- mostly for the magazines, as the originals are the only ones that work and are almost impossible to come by without a pistol attached.

With the recent popularity of 1911 subcaliber units and dedicated .22/1911 type pistols, it is worth bringing up Bob Marvel's marvel. Of all the types of subcal 1911 units and the slew of .22/1911 types I've tried, the only one I've gotten to perform consistently and well is a Marvel. The particular one here was made during his partnership with Advantage, designed and tuned by him and sold through STI. It sits on a Clark pre-70 govt frame. This is the one I drag out when someone gripes about not being able to obtain accuracy and reliability from this type of gun.

With proper feeding, the Hammerli Trailside is perhaps the best and most accurate of them all. This gun was designed for standard velocity only and when properly maintained and properly fed can and does give the shooter some idea of what a $3,000 .22 target pistol can be while costing 1/3rd that amount. It's not the one I want to be lost in the woods with, but if we are betting on who's buying lunch at the range -- this is the pistol.

DSCN0833_zps987b3c49.jpg

Last edited:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The model 41 is definitely a thing of beauty. I've owned a number over the years and believe through personal experience the Bangor Punta era pistols from about 1970 to 1980 were the best of their kind.

The model 17 is hard to argue with. It and it's variations have been in continuous production for about 80 years. Of the breed, I prefer the 4" model 18 over the model 17 for balance. It resolves the muzzle heaviness of the 18 while maintaining the swiss watch like clockworks.

If you're going to mention wheelguns, the Ruger Single Six Convertible is worthy of note, only because in .22 magnum it's probably unbeatable.

I've always been an admirer of the Ruger Mark line of pistols. Say what you will about them, they are probably the most reliable, ammo tolerant .22 auto loader out there. My favorite of these is the MkII Competition Target, while the MKIII Target has really grown on me if for no other reason than the mag release button. In all it's forms it delivers reasonable accuracy at an affordable price.

A couple not pictured are the Colt Woodsman 2nd series Match Target and the High Standard HD Military. The 2nd Series Woodsman was arguably a better pistol than the 41, better balance and point-ability, less ammo sensitive and more accurate. The HD Military equaled the 2nd Series Woodsman in all these respects and I'm always on the look out for another -- mostly for the magazines, as the originals are the only ones that work and are almost impossible to come by without a pistol attached.

With the recent popularity of 1911 subcaliber units and dedicated .22/1911 type pistols, it is worth bringing up Bob Marvel's marvel. Of all the types of subcal 1911 units and the slew of .22/1911 types I've tried, the only one I've gotten to perform consistently and well is a Marvel. The particular one here was made during his partnership with Advantage, designed and tuned by him and sold through STI. It sits on a Clark pre-70 govt frame. This is the one I drag out when someone gripes about not being able to obtain accuracy and reliability from this type of gun.

With proper feeding, the Hammerli Trailside is perhaps the best and most accurate of them all. This gun was designed for standard velocity only and when properly maintained and properly fed can and does give the shooter some idea of what a $3,000 .22 target pistol can be while costing 1/3rd that amount. It's not the one I want to be lost in the woods with, but if we are betting on who's buying lunch at the range -- this is the pistol.

DSCN0833_zps987b3c49.jpg

Incredible post for pics and content. Well done sir. You need to make it to a Houston Range Day next time we do one. Lots of rimfire fans in our group with some crazy rimfire toys.

Top Bottom