• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    you know that only happened because of political pressures and idiots in the field saying the rifle didn't need to be cleaned along with the ammunition manufacturer using a different powder which caused more fouling combined with the humid conditions which didn't help, but no, you can still parrot fuddlore and myth to hold onto your fossil of an old rifle that the Italians still made better.

View attachment 285969
    It doesn’t matter why. What matters is at the time, the troops in the field clamored for the return of their trusty M14’s.

By the way, the M16’s main failures were switching powders (the switch to ball powder was a huge fiasco) and increasing the twist rate unnecessarily. But the point is, at the time, soldiers and Marines would have rather had their hands on an M14.
    Guns International

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    It doesn’t matter why. What matters is at the time, the troops in the field clamored for the return of their trusty M14’s.

By the way, the M16’s main failures were switching powders (the switch to ball powder was a huge fiasco) and increasing the twist rate unnecessarily. But the point is, at the time, soldiers and Marines would have rather had their hands on an M14.
    the powder fiasco and twist rate all happened because of assholes with clipboards and spreadsheets lmao

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    the powder fiasco and twist rate all happened because of assholes with clipboards and spreadsheets lmao
    That’s untrue. It happened because of Army bureaucracy, an unwillingness to deviate from norms and an entrenched desire to keep the weaponry “in house”. Had the Army brass simply adopted the AR platform as designed by Stoner, along with the Remington ammunition loaded with IMR-4475 (as the USAF originally did under Gen. LeMay), things would have been much different.

Alas, generals always fight the current war as they did the last one…until they learn the hard way.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    it still doesnt help the case of the M14, the shortest used service rifle while the M16 and its variants are still used today en masse.
    That has more to do with the M14 coming out at the end of an era and at the beginning of a shift in philosophy from lessons learned in WWII and Korea.

Much like some great planes that appeared at the end of WWII they were quickly superceded by turbine powered planes, some of which are still in use like the B-52 which replaced the B-36, which was great plane for its day "could" still fulfill many of the missions a B-52 does, if they were around.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    You really are an ass.

So some fucking respect to those that have been there and done that you little twirp

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Ill respect people when they don't flaunt their military service as some form of "superiority" because they decided to fight for dow chemical and raytheon, but that's neither here nor there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have no dog in this fight. As I never owned an M14 or M1A. I did own a very nice Garland rifle. I do own a M16A2 & a H&K G3K both being NFA.

When I was looking at my H&K there were a few select fire BM59 on the market. BM 59 were priced slightly cheaper, so I was very interested. In my research the BM59 had much higher magazine cost+ the cracking of receivers.

I have never been in combat! I have carried shot both 5.56 & 7.62 and carried them in the field. I have shot and killed game with both calibers. And I have shot hard targets most people seldom get to.

No military is best served with one caliber or platform. No battle grounds offer the same challenges.

The very first AR-15 I shot was a Colt SP1. I did not care for it, choosing an H&K 91 over it. At 18 carrying the extra weight of the 7.62 just seemed a no brained. This was long before owning NFA!

Many years have passed since then. I’d like to think I have grown wiser. The AR/M16 platform has evolved! I can do more with with my M16 then my G3. The G3 is still in use and has seen upgrades, not unlike the M14. In most cases the upgrades on both come with added weight.

Todays AR/M16 offers way more advantages with less massive gains in weight. To configure an M16 from a 9mm sub gun to some of the latest greatest heavy long range calibers is really special! Surely nothing a BM59, M14 or G 3 is capable off.

BrianMDTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Conroe
    Todays AR/M16 offers way more advantages with less massive gains in weight. To configure an M16 from a 9mm sub gun to some of the latest greatest heavy long range calibers is really special! Surely nothing a BM59, M14 or G 3 is capable off.
    I can’t find fault with that statement. It’s a very reliable and adaptable platform.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Dude guys who have served deserve way more respect then that! America has been a waring nation for our brief history!
    I'd be inclined to agree but not all vets or soldiers are created equal, but that is just my opinion.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Okay, but this thread is about "What is your favorite M1A?" Not "why I think there are better rifles than the M1A"

I will interrupt my popcorn consumption reading this thread to throw in that FWIW, 1911 guys here do this all the time in threads about polymer pistols. Muh two wurled wars, etc etc. :)

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I will interrupt my popcorn consumption reading this thread to throw in that FWIW, 1911 guys here do this all the time in threads about polymer pistols. Muh two wurled wars, etc etc. :)
    well if there is one thing between guys who like M1As and 1911s is that they are usually old and wear rose tinted shades. :roflfunny:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Since someone wants to make this thread all about themselves, why? What is your beef with people who served? Why do you assume who was and wasn't a good service member based on a single forum post?
    maybe you should re-read what I said again and then you will understand.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would love to hear your expertise explanation of how an M1A, or an M14 loses zero field stripping it for cleaning.

So your friend owns one. That is the extent of your experience? Seriously? I know, that far out-weighs mine, or anyone else's experiences, that have actually owned one, or several.

We shall now bow before your expertise!
    Same way the M1 or Mini loses zero, every time you take it out of the stock, you loose zero. It is a very well known problem, and references to said problem date back to the US Army's experience in Guadalcanal, if not earlier.

Even bedding the stock, or replacing wood stocks with polymer or metal only solves half the issue

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Same way the M1 or Mini loses zero, every time you take it out of the stock, you loose zero. It is a very well known problem, and references to said problem date back to the US Army's experience in Guadalcanal, if not earlier.

Even bedding the stock, or replacing wood stocks with polymer or metal only solves half the issue
    thats what I said but you could probably show him the evidence of such things right in front of the man but he probably would still ask for some source even though I gave him five

I still stand by the fact that the BM59 is the best M14/M1A
    BM59 semi right side.png

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

Never had this problem with a M1A or multiple Mini 14s/30s. Sounds like fake news.

Top Bottom