• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I went there once to shoot with an old family friend (I don't live in Houston). I was surprised to have to pay per gun but I only had 2 .22's. The female behind the counter asked to see them so I put my case on the counter and opened it. She freaked out because the actions were closed. I had to go outside and open them. That's all I needed to know about the place. All of these other experiences would be almost unbelievable if I hadn't experienced their stupidity first hand.

I got yelled at at another range for walking in to pay with a 1911 in my hand - with the action locked rearward.

Eli
    DK Firearms

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I tried to buy my first AR at Carter's... Salesman was helping another couple in the section with the AR's, he said he'd be just a minute. No problem I thought. He walked the couple up front with their new purchase and I waited. And waited. And waited.

There were two other employees within 20 feet of me, never a word was said. So I walked out. I've been back once with my, now, wife to shoot, since I lived in Humble. Now we always shoot at ASC, much better range and people!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I tried to buy my first AR at Carter's... Salesman was helping another couple in the section with the AR's, he said he'd be just a minute. No problem I thought. He walked the couple up front with their new purchase and I waited. And waited. And waited.

There were two other employees within 20 feet of me, never a word was said. So I walked out. I've been back once with my, now, wife to shoot, since I lived in Humble. Now we always shoot at ASC, much better range and people!

I've experienced this exact issue myself.
    I believe its because the salesmen work on commission and to assist another salesperson customer is a no-no.

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    I've had good and bad experience there.

The most memorable was good...

LSS, the new Beretta 92 I purchased from Carter's was HORRIBLY inaccurate. Come to find out, the barrel was only partially rifled. I took the gun and a few recovered bullets (with partial rifling) to Carter's, and they were quick to let me exchange it for whatever I wanted. Handling the situation immediately, and preventing me from having to deal with the BS Beretta warranty, was GREATLY appreciated.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Running a gun store but not giving a tinker's damn about the 2nd Amendment. This is one we've seen repeatedly with CC and I just can't wrap my head around it.

I think with Bill Carter, he was one of these holier-than-thou big-time Safari Hunters and felt like other than for hunting, the 2A can really just go away. It amazes me how many old school hunters don't think the 2A is of CRITICAL importance to all of us, and not just hunting season.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Back when I still went there occasionally, it was an endless source of amusement to bring some strange single-shot pistol, clear it for the cease fire, then walk away and observe from a distance. Since the gun owner wasn't nearby to provide assistance, the RSOs would inevitably do a great impression of that "apes discovering the monolith" scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey. :)

It would be fun to go in there with some odd/uncommon items; My old LeMat, dArmi's pepperbox, a rolling block, your single shots...

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    Being from Spring Branch, I never had any use for CC on the Katy Freeway, though before I knew better, I bough several guns from them back in the mid 1990s.

I will say that the Stafford store is actually okay. The people there are night and day different from I-10. I actually don't hate going there, though there are places I much prefer to visit instead.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Interesting thread.

I've only been to CC (Spring area) a few times, and never to shoot. Just to look around. Here's my take:

1. Lots of dead animals. Pretty neat stuff and well displayed. But it's almost overwhelming. It must be a showplace for the owners passion for hunting.
    2. Didn't know they made that many bullets for reloading! HUGE selection.
    3. Prices: I'm learning that the prices aren't the best and that's been echoed on this board.
    4. Nice open air feel. Academy feels like a supermarket with high tight shelves. CC was almost the opposite. Low shelves so you can see the whole store.
    5. I wasn't shopping for anything so I don't like to waste the clerks time, but I was asked more than a few times if I needed any help.
    6. Trap/Skeet ranges look okay. They have about 5 of them.

Now, if it's true that they charge more for ARs, then WTF? I'd think they'd charge less! You should shoot more ammo! That's more ammo sales, more target sales, and more business. Why charge more? Not sure of the logic.

If they allow you to shoot steel case stuff, that should be a huge plus. Most ranges won't. And they'll tell you "it's for safety." BS. it's for the recycling value of brass. Scrap is like $2.30/lb and if they sell it to reloaders, it worth even more. I know guys who shoot Lapua brass and they won't shoot at those ranges that tell them they can't keep their brass.

If salesmen are trying to sell you something, well, what do you expect? They have to sell stuff to make money to keep the store open. now, if they lie to you to get you to buy, that's different. But if they are "upselling" and that offends you, well, then you've never worked in sales before.

A few people talked about going in to check stuff out. I hope if they gave you the service of seeing somethign in person then you bought it there and not online. That's the added value of having a LGS. You should pay extra for that. I bought a DD M4V7 from Tomball Pawn, even though I could have bought it online for $100 cheaper, because they had the V5 also and I thought I wanted the V5 until I held the V7. That hands on experience was worth $100 extra to me. If you're just price shopping, that's one thing. But LGSs aren't museums. If you want to see what a reticle looks like in person and CC has it in stock and that helps you decide to buy it, then you should buy it from them even if it costs a bit more.

As for the owner being anti AR? Shame on him. As for him being anti gunshow, well, do you blame him? That's competition. If you have a restaurant and you start losing business because some taco truck parks down the street and doesn't have the same overhead you do, of course you might be in favor of "taco truck bans". That's just natural. Frankly, I think the gun shows are a ripoff. They almost universally charge a credit card fee where LGSs don't. They are usually higher, or much higher, on stuff. I know a guy who will try to buy out hard to get ammo like 22, 22WMR, etc and then mark it up at the gun show. He gets off on trying to make something out of stock locally. $16/box 22WMR he buys at the LGS he sells for $23 at the Conroe show. Really? Lots of effort for $6. Meanwhile, regular shooters can't find 22WMR anywhere. Reloading powder is the same thing. Much higher at the gun shows than at the LGSs. Not sure how it compares to CC, but gun shows always seem high. I just don't know why people pay to go to the gun show and then pay a premium for modern guns that you can buy locally for cheaper. If you're looking for rare parts, or collectables, or jerky, or Ron Burgundy, ...then go to the gun show.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've only been to CC (Spring area) a few times, and never to shoot. Just to look around.
    Go for something more than to look around and things will become clearer. Go to buy a firearm and enjoy the free ton of condescension you get with each purchase. Go to shoot and enjoy being treated like an idiot by everyone you have contact with, except for the RSOs who will be absent whenever anyone is pointing a gun at your head.

As for him being anti gunshow, well, do you blame him? That's competition.
    Lots of LGSs have the smarts to run a table at local gun shows. Carter didn't want to conduct his business with the integrity required to compete; he just wanted the government to crush his competition for him.

I have no problem with a gun shop owner disliking the fact that gun shows exist. I'm sure every gas station hates the fact that another one is open across the street. But they deal with it. A business owner shouldn't refuse to compete then go whining to the government to get changes in the law to put the other guy out of business...unless they're a complete piece of crap.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I get some powder from CC from time to time. They're one of the few places around that has it. Only other places are a lot further away and involve a trip down the beltway with the associated tolls/time/gas/etc. They're more pricey than the other places, but once you add the other costs, it's better for me to grab it there.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Go for something more than to look around and things will become clearer. Go to buy a firearm and enjoy the free ton of condescension you get with each purchase. Go to shoot and enjoy being treated like an idiot by everyone you have contact with, except for the RSOs who will be absent whenever anyone is pointing a gun at your head.

Lots of LGSs have the smarts to run a table at local gun shows. Carter didn't want to conduct his business with the integrity required to compete; he just wanted the government to crush his competition for him.

I have no problem with a gun shop owner disliking the fact that gun shows exist. I'm sure every gas station hates the fact that another one is open across the street. But they deal with it. A business owner shouldn't refuse to compete then go whining to the government to get changes in the law to put the other guy out of business...unless they're a complete piece of crap.

But keep in mind Carters really wanted to stop resale because the profit margin
    For used guns is much higher than used and they are unregulated. If he sold say a new gun for $400 and a used one for $300 he would only give your $150-200 for your "trade in". Contrast with you flipping your gently used gun for $300 and pocketing about double the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As for him being anti gunshow, well, do you blame him? That's competition. If you have a restaurant and you start losing business because some taco truck parks down the street and doesn't have the same overhead you do, of course you might be in favor of "taco truck bans". That's just natural. Frankly, I think the gun shows are a ripoff.

So a monopoly is better? Competition is how the free market works, and if you can't keep up then you're in the wrong business.

And it's funny but I find that gun shops tend to be the bigger ripoff. I got to larger gun shows and find better deals by shopping around. Plus, it's easier to handle firearms without having to deal with annoying salespersons who many times don't know what the **** they are talking about. Plus you can usually negotiate prices at gun shows a lot more than you can at shops.

Sure, some of the same bullshit occurs at gun shows; but I find it's more common at brick-and-mortar shops and while I've never been to Carter's, I have walked out of similar stores for the exact same reason.

I am all for supporting local gun stores as long as they support shooting; but when they pull such antics as badmouthing certain manufacturers simply because they don't carry their wares, or charge more for an "assault rifle" despite knowing it has no greater capacity to fire rounds than a sporting firearm, or steal your brass at the range all of which Carter's has been accused of, then they don't deserve anyone's support or money!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lastly, online vendors probably "steal" more customers from Carter's than local gun shows; although they can still soak people with inordinate transfer fees for simply filling out some paperwork and maybe making a two-minute phone call.

Does Carter's want to stop people from buying guns and supplies off the Internet as well?

Such mentality only demonstrates they will do everything to stop the competition except lower their prices! :(

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have been to Carters numerous times to shoot their trap/ skeet range with friends. I have bought one gun from them at it was a Remington SPS 308 which was on special at the time. I usually buy hard to find 22LR rounds from them. No complaints from me but I will say the only range I will avoid is Thunder Gun Range as the owner is a weird as hell and useless.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Lastly, online vendors probably "steal" more customers from Carter's than local gun shows; although they can still soak people with inordinate transfer fees for simply filling out some paperwork and maybe making a two-minute phone call.

Does Carter's want to stop people from buying guns and supplies off the Internet as well?

Such mentality only demonstrates they will do everything to stop the competition except lower their prices! :(

When Carter was alive and politically active there was very little impact from the Internet. One could usually find a better deal on most guns and ammo at a show. Carters didn't want to lower prices and he had the ear of the powers that be in Houston. A (non) shooting at a gun show in the early nineties was used as the excuse to shut them down in Houston. The city lost the lawsuit and had to allow the shows to come back. (but with really stupid rules)
    Today I doubt Carter would care about the ghosts of gun shows past that are in this area today. Carter's offer some good deals in their ads that IMHO beat the shows. I still shoot there to use up my steel cased ammo. And I'm going to try another a gun show this weekend. There is one at the American Legion in Crosby of all places. I still enjoy the small show in Pasadena so I'm hoping this one will catch on. Even Spring Guns and Ammo will have a booth. (as High Noon range)

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have been to Carters numerous times to shoot their trap/ skeet range with friends. I have bought one gun from them at it was a Remington SPS 308 which was on special at the time. I usually buy hard to find 22LR rounds from them. No complaints from me but I will say the only range I will avoid is Thunder Gun Range as the owner is a weird as hell and useless.

I don't usually just +1 a post but I agree with you. Been to Thunder twice and left both times thinking there's something wrong with these folks.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I don't usually just +1 a post but I agree with you. Been to Thunder twice and left both times thinking there's something wrong with these folks.

You are not the only one who thinks like that. I have talked with many coworkers who swore never to go back.

Top Bottom