Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I guess I'm the one in a million.
    In more ways that one.

There's no smiley after that sentence because that's a genuine, heartfelt compliment, Cam. If anyone could go with the flow at Carter's, take the good and gloss over the bad, it would be you. You're just good people.
    Hurley's Gold

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    1. I also remember Carter's sales people bad mouthing Glocks - until they got a good enough deal from the distributor to start selling them at a fat profit! Overnight, Glocks became wonderful.

2. Bait-and-Switch. I've heard stories, and I know of people who have accused them of such, but they did it to me and I took it very personally. A shotgun was advertised in the newspaper and a number of copies of the ad were on counters around the store. It happened that I wanted that model, so I went to the store and asked to see one. The particular one in the rack had a vent rib that wandered all over the place, so I told the salesman I'd take one if he had one with a straight rib. He said he did and disappeared in back. A few minutes later, he came out and went around the store with a magic marker changing the ads laying on the counter. Then he went in back and brought me out a completely different model shotgun. He claimed the ads were wrong, but they had been "fixed". I walked away and bought that shotgun at a different store.

3. I've seen the range officers refuse to confront unsafe shooters (gang bangers), but yet they don't have a problem hassling other shooters about ridiculous things (like you can't use the Shoot-n-See stickers that you buy in the store on the range. Where is that posted? Nowhere. Then the RO said, "I'll let it go this one time. I know you old guys have trouble seeing downrange." I calmly explained that he was about to have an old guy's foot up his ass.) Also had them come up behind me while I was shooting and pick up my brass.

4. Sales people are often rude. Seriously rude.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Both times I went there, I was greeted with friendly staff. Seemed like good people, but I never engaged in enough dialogue to get anyone lying to me.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I didn't read through the whole thread. But basically they are assholes and stupid rules like; no gun bags on the range. Ever try carrying 3 rifles, a shotgun, and several pistols with ammo without a bag?

hoothrewpoo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Dripping Springs
    I bought my first three pistols there (there being the I-10/Spring Branch store) in 1998 during one of their zero finance sales. Ruger Vaquero in .45colt, Ruger SP101 in .357magnum and a Kimber Pro Carry in .45acp. Spent $1800 out the door. The SP101 was a great deal at $398 plus tax (new in box). While purchasing those 3, I asked the manager (Ronnie at the time - tall balding fellow) if he could order me one of the fancy new Glocks in .357sig (Glock 33 specifically)... his first response was " Carter's Country does not and will not EVER sell Glocks. They're unsafe and prone to blowing up.". He then told me that the .357sig round was a fad, and that I shouldn't waste my money.

There was a time when you couldn't beat the Carter's Country sale ads in the Chronicle/Post. Not the case now.

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    The above mentioned issues are undeniable. But the thing about Carter's that bugs me the most is the black rifle hate.

Not only does it cost more to shoot my AR, but there's also a part of the range thats blocked off and has a "No Assault Rifles Allowed" sign.
    Not cool, and it clearly shows that "Ole Bill" doesnt support the fight.

Sent from my cellphone by TapaTalk

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    There was a time when you couldn't beat the Carter's Country sale ads in the Chronicle/Post.

I left Houston in 1997, so it hurts to read all of this. My experiences are waaay out of date, but I bought my first handgun from CC ('84 I think?) when the range was new and pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Hurts to read of a Houston institution going bad.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Take the polygraph, answer every single question with the answer "I am the Great Cornholio! Are you threatening me? "

Cost them money.
    I second this practice.

When I was a youngin, around the time electricity was invented, Carter's was a fun place to go to just wander and shop the eye candy. Of course that was substantially before mail, internet, paper, etc. so comparisons with other places were effectively nonexistent.

The comments about the range sound like a complete nonstarter.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I was reminded today in another thread that not everyone has been around long enough to understand that Carter's Country is a terrible place. They are tolerable for some things but I don't know anybody who actually likes them.

In the interest of educating newbies, state a reason to hate Carter's. Long stories are welcome but I'll start with just a bullet point.

• The salespeople are liars. Before they sold Glocks, they routinely told all sorts of outrageous lies about how Glocks were inaccurate, dangerous, poorly designed, poorly constructed, etc.

Add to the list, folks.

PS - If anybody is actually a fan of Carter's, tell us why. Include some background on yourself, such as what planet you're from.

I very distinctly remember this. I had them tell me things like this repeatedly at the store off of SW Freeway in Stafford.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Last edited:

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Because Bill Carter was an anus that supported the so-called 'Assault Weapons Ban' - I still remember seeing him on TV discussing his support!

Eli
    Ditto.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    You did the last time I went there, about 20 years ago. My son tells me that nothing has changed, there, since.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Wait what, thats just stupid. Do you have to pay by the gun?

Yes is per gun.

And I jinxed myself commenting in the thread. I texted my co-worker yesterday to go shoot. Needed to zero my new optic on my Remington 700 .308 and he bought an AR he wanted to sight in. Since he lives in Kingwood and I'm in Spring, we settled on Carter's as the half way point.

Again... No rifle or gun bags. So we had to go inside and get plastic bags from them to carry our ammo and his mags. Than we go to pay and it was $10.50 for my bolt 700 and $14 for his "Tactical Rifle." Yes... An extra $3.50 because he was shooting an AR. :banghead:

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I went there once to shoot with an old family friend (I don't live in Houston). I was surprised to have to pay per gun but I only had 2 .22's. The female behind the counter asked to see them so I put my case on the counter and opened it. She freaked out because the actions were closed. I had to go outside and open them. That's all I needed to know about the place. All of these other experiences would be almost unbelievable if I hadn't experienced their stupidity first hand.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I bought my safe from them, Amsec very good price and very good delivery guy and install. I know another guy who bought from them with my recommend, and they were happy as well.

Bought a lot of 22 from them, decent prices, not great but decent, and they had it

Would never buy a gun from them

I don't hate them

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "You need to open the action on that?"
    "its a revolver"
    "Open the cylinder"
    "Its a Blackhawk"
    (deer in headlights)
    Back when I still went there occasionally, it was an endless source of amusement to bring some strange single-shot pistol, clear it for the cease fire, then walk away and observe from a distance. Since the gun owner wasn't nearby to provide assistance, the RSOs would inevitably do a great impression of that "apes discovering the monolith" scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey. :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom