• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    In the interest of educating newbies, state a reason to hate Carter's. Long stories are welcome but I'll start with just a bullet point.

• The salespeople are liars. Before they sold Glocks, they routinely told all sorts of outrageous lies about how Glocks were inaccurate, dangerous, poorly designed, poorly constructed, etc.

Well, just as a personal data point, when Glock first came on the scene, they got several LEO's to adopt them. I was living in Aladamnbama at the time and the guy who owned the LGS was a Sheriff in Jefferson County. He told me how great and reliable the Glock was. I bought one from him. Damn thing wouldn't hardly get through a magazine without a stovepipe. Bang, bang, stovepipe, clear, bang, stovepipe......and on and on. He even came out and shot it, same thing. It went back to Glock TWICE. Same results. Sold it and bought a Walther that ran smooth as silk.

Fast forward to today. The MUCH better half has a G19 and it's flawless. So I obviously got a lemon way back. But had you told me about how crappy Glocks were before she got hers, I'd have believed it.
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...had you told me about how crappy Glocks were before she got hers, I'd have believed it.
    Valid viewpoint. If Carter's had had a blowup on the range or had had a bunch of returned, defective guns, I'd be willing to cut them some slack. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Carter's bad-mouthed Glocks just because they didn't sell the brand. It was just Carter's being their normal, asshole selves.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Valid viewpoint. If Carter's had had a blowup on the range or had had a bunch of returned, defective guns, I'd be willing to cut them some slack. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Carter's bad-mouthed Glocks just because they didn't sell the brand. It was just Carter's being their normal, asshole selves.

Just so outside of your online persona to use derogatory profanity to describe someone or something. It completely makes me want to stay out of CC.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    His other post gave me the same feeling.

It's the only time I've gotten an "angry" vibe from one of Bens posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just so outside of your online persona to use derogatory profanity to describe someone or something. It completely makes me want to stay out of CC.
    Or maybe I'm overstating things. The longer this thread runs, the more it embarrasses me a bit. My direct experience with Carter's is so out of date that I'm willing to reconsider.

Having personally witnessed such horrific behavior from them in the past, I freely admit to a long-running bias.

I have an open mind and will listen to anyone who feels.their current retail business model and/or range SOPs are good things. The recent couple of points about being a decent place.to shoot shotguns and having reloading components in stock, for example, are probably valid. I've never shot shotguns there and when I have bought reloading components, I've gotten non-obnoxious service. I guess they figure if you know enough to.reload, they shouldn't be so condescending.

But no matter what the current state of Carter's, derogatory profanity is not the tool I prefer to use when making any point. I feel a.bit chastised and, I believe, deservedly so.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I have no problem with a gun shop owner disliking the fact that gun shows exist. I'm sure every gas station hates the fact that another one is open across the street. But they deal with it. A business owner shouldn't refuse to compete then go whining to the government to get changes in the law to put the other guy out of business...unless they're a complete piece of crap.

In some industries, it's par for the course! Remember the movie Pretty Woman? I'm sure you do ;) Richard Gere's character tied up the other guys contract with the navy by influencing some senator. That's just the way those guys play hardball. I don't care for that type of business, personally, but you better believe it happens. And if you don't think the big box stores leverage their influence and campaign contributions to their favor, you're naive. They all do it. Big businesses lobby the congress to impose things like $10mm surety bond requirements which effectively puts small guys out of business. They might insist on benefits or controls that small business cannot manage. Government compliance is a big deal for many small businesses. I don't see big business lobbying to change those laws. Natural barriers to entry are fine, but government regulation for the most part isn't in my opinion.

As for gun shows, though, it never made sense to me why an FFL would have to run a background check when a private person wouldn't. Seems like if you sell to a relative, well, okay. Even if your relative is crazy, you could still do it. But if you go to a gun show and sell to a stranger, how is that consistent with the reason why an FFL has to run a NICS? Maybe we shouldn't gripe about needing checks at gun shows but rather that all FFLs shouldn't have to run checks either! Right now, it's not consistent. Also, it seemed to me last time I went to Conroe's show that 99% of the vendors are FFLs anyway. Not sure why CC would have an issue. it's not like hundreds of new Glocks are being sold below MAP by unlicensed individuals. In fact, with the extra fees, gun show prices are usually higher! Now, some of that is because a single 8' table at a show is $80 and then you have set up and break down time and employee costs away from the store. So you have to make probably $600 in extra profit just to pay for 5 tables and one employee to run it. That means you have to sell 15 Glocks just to break even at the show. However, if CC doesn't want to go to the show, fine. Doesn't mean others shouldn't go. So I'm with you on them being babies about the show existing. It's just a false argument for them to say it's because of all the unlicensed "dealers".

Curious1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2016
    Texas
    Have been to their Treachwig location a few times. They are abrasive and not very friendly. Perhaps the place is run by an old school manager.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    CC salespeople are usually ok.
    Don't expect an expert because you aren't going to get one.
    There are the idiots of course but they're not limited to CC.
    Most any gun shop is going to have at least one Counter Commando.
    You know. The guy who was CIA in Laos fighting Apaches during WW2.5 before the Cossacks bombed the World Trade Center. And he KNOWS his Mossbergs.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    CC salespeople are usually ok.
    Don't expect an expert because you aren't going to get one.
    There are the idiots of course but they're not limited to CC.
    Most any gun shop is going to have at least one Counter Commando.
    You know. The guy who was CIA in Laos fighting Apaches during WW2.5 before the Cossacks bombed the World Trade Center. And he KNOWS his Mossbergs.

That guy now runs a range on US183.

mkupka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2016
    My 2 cents. After I came back from active duty and Before I moved from the Humble/Kingwood area more than 25 years ago, I used to go to the Treaschwig store usually once a week to shoot. I bought a Beretta 92F, Glock17, Colt Python Ten Pointer and Desert Eagle.44 Magnum from Carters. All of these were on sale with really good prices. I used to talk with Billy Jr. I was always treated well and found the staff to be friendly, helpful and courteous.

The last time I was there was probably 2 years ago when I took my nephews who live in Humble to shoot there. It was around Christmas time and the store was very crowded. I did not see any good deals at the time. I was disappointed to see that they no longer ranges and are now limited to 100 yards.

I had no idea that Bill Carter had supported the Assault Weapon Ban back in the 90's, if I had known that, I would never have gone back. When Bill Ruger also supported the AWB, I did not buy another Ruger firearm until he passed away.

I now live in Nacogdoches and we have 160 acres. We have our own 100 yard range and 25 yard steel pistol range. I buy most of my guns at gun shows or order them online and do the transfer at a local shop.

I'm sad to hear so many complaints about what used to be one of my favorite gun shops in the Houston area.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning

I now live in Nacogdoches and we have 160 acres. We have our own 100 yard range and 25 yard steel pistol range.
    If you ever want to host an East Texas meet-up, you can make a few dozen friends in short order. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Told my mother her s&w d/a revolver hammer should be kept on an empty cylinder.

iWKad22_zps4d1786a7.jpg

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    This thread has been both enlightening and amusing. And Ben, don't feel like you did any wrong by letting a few "usually not you" words slip. You were talking from experience and probably saved someone from a bad purchase or other less than stellar outcome. Thanks for the "Heads Up". Hubby and I will go visit other stores when we come to Texas for our Wild a Hog hunts.

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    CC was the only range I have any memory of going to as a kid (mid-late 90s and early 00s) - probably because it was close to our house and it's where my dad went. I remember thinking some of the rules seemed over the top, but it was all I knew. Looking back on it (with more experience at other places), they were really silly rules. Charging per gun also seems particularly bizarre. I've never run across another range with that business model.

I bought my first three pistols there (there being the I-10/Spring Branch store) in 1998 during one of their zero finance sales. Ruger Vaquero in .45colt, Ruger SP101 in .357magnum and a Kimber Pro Carry in .45acp. Spent $1800 out the door. The SP101 was a great deal at $398 plus tax (new in box). While purchasing those 3, I asked the manager (Ronnie at the time - tall balding fellow) if he could order me one of the fancy new Glocks in .357sig (Glock 33 specifically)... his first response was " Carter's Country does not and will not EVER sell Glocks. They're unsafe and prone to blowing up.". He then told me that the .357sig round was a fad, and that I shouldn't waste my money.

There was a time when you couldn't beat the Carter's Country sale ads in the Chronicle/Post. Not the case now.

Well, he was half right.

"You need to open the action on that?"
    "its a revolver"
    "Open the cylinder"
    "Its a Blackhawk"
    (deer in headlights)

This is hilarious.

Top Bottom