• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I've spent time in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New York, Texas, etc, and BY FAR the scariest driving experiences I've had are from Florida.

Imagine out of control young male drivers who are always 20+ mph above the speed limit, and then sprinkle in 80+ year old retirees who are constantly 20 UNDER the speed limit. Imagine the chaos.

I-95 in Florida is one of the deadliest highways in the entire country (seriously, look it up).

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've spent time in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New York, Texas, etc, and BY FAR the scariest driving experiences I've had are from Florida.

Imagine out of control young male drivers who are always 20+ mph above the speed limit, and then sprinkle in 80+ year old retirees who are constantly 20 UNDER the speed limit. Imagine the chaos.

I-95 in Florida is one of the deadliest highways in the entire country (seriously, look it up).
    When I was working on the USS John F. Kennedy (Mayport) in 2003 we used to make jokes that the people there got their driver training at Daytona. If a car was in the right lane and you speed up because your right turn is coming up, they'll speed up too. They hate to give up the lead.

Also: every other person in Florida had a Nascar number sticker in their window.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    When I was working on the USS John F. Kennedy (Mayport) in 2003 we used to make jokes that the people there got their driver training at Daytona. If a car was in the right lane and you speed up because your right turn is coming up, they'll speed up too. They hate to give up the lead.

Also: every other person in Florida had a Nascar number sticker in their window.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Closest I ever got to being injured in an auto accident happened in Miami. Came off I-95 to the Dolphin Toll Road and some 85 year old guy is taking the turn at literally 25mph. :mad:

I had to lock up my brakes and pray the guy behind me kept a reasonable difference. Barely missed the old guy's back bumper, and then to top it all off, the young guy behind me rips around me and the old geriatric who almost got me killed, and he flips ME off. :laughing:

Gotta love Flori-duh.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    drivers that are more dangerous than Washington drivers? That’s insane. That’s scary. Just suggesting such should be grounds to revoke all drivers license in Florida.
    Granted my experience in Washington was limited, mostly getting on 520 and going back and forth between downtown Seattle and Bellevue. It was a pleasant commute for the most part.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Granted my experience in Washington was limited, mostly getting on 520 and going back and forth between downtown Seattle and Bellevue. It was a pleasant commute for the most part.
    I’m 40. At 16 my uncle let me do landscaping for summer money in Seattle. He had this 1980’s Mitsubishi manual truck. West Seattle. How I learned to master the clutch. He would actually just leave me at clients and tell me to drive back.

I5 from pdx to kelso was really bad in recent years. Once seen a woman merging onto i5 while having her back turned and texting.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m 40. At 16 my uncle let me do landscaping for summer money in Seattle. He had this 1980’s Mitsubishi manual truck. West Seattle. How I learned to master the clutch. He would actually just leave me at clients and tell me to drive back.

I5 from pdx to kelso was really bad in recent years. Once seen a woman merging onto i5 while having her back turned and texting.

**** West Seattle, **** the bridge to West Seattle, and **** the guy who designed that bridge and the route on and off it. And **** the Seattlite yuppies who make that drive suck so hard, and WADOT for it perpetually being under construction.

PDX to Kelso...yeah, there's a reason I always took Hwy. 30 up thru Columbia County to get there. Might have been slower outside rush hours, but it usually was faster during the rush, better scenery, and far fewer bad drivers trying to kill you.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    **** West Seattle, **** the bridge to West Seattle, and **** the guy who designed that bridge and the route on and off it. And **** the Seattlite yuppies who make that drive suck so hard, and WADOT for it perpetually being under construction.

PDX to Kelso...yeah, there's a reason I always took Hwy. 30 up thru Columbia County to get there. Might have been slower outside rush hours, but it usually was faster during the rush, better scenery, and far fewer bad drivers trying to kill you.
    West Seattle? What the hell were you doing in West Seattle? Even us that were Seattlites avoided West Seattle. The only thing I remember liking about West Seattle is that it was a great place to see the downtown Seattle skyline.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I suspect the only good places are out of most of our price range. I can only imagine how terrible the already bad areas became.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Comparable to SoCal? yeah it's not that bad. But that was 12 years ago. Not sure what it's like now.
    Well, I remember when the 520 floating bridge was a toll bridge.

ETA: After looking it up, I guess they built a new bridge since I last drove across it. It's a toll bridge again.

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Well, I remember when the 520 floating bridge was a toll bridge.
    I do miss some aspects of Seattle (before it go too "liberally").

I used to live in Tower 801 on Pine Street, and "back then", Pine Street was clean compared to a place like LA or SF. Didn't smell like piss when walking down the street, and I would walk after work to Beecher's to get a Turkey Panini, a soda, and I'd sit at Victor park and watch the ferries come and go.

Don't know if that area is nice anymore since ANTIFA took over the city but Seattle had its charm back in the day.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I do miss some aspects of Seattle (before it go too "liberally").

I used to live in Tower 801 on Pine Street, and "back then", Pine Street was clean compared to a place like LA or SF. Didn't smell like piss when walking down the street, and I would walk after work to Beecher's to get a Turkey Panini, a soda, and I'd sit at Victor park and watch the ferries come and go.

Don't know if that area is nice anymore since ANTIFA took over the city but Seattle had its charm back in the day.
    When I was a teenager (17) and moved back to Seattle from Las Vegas, Nev. I lived on Queen Anne Hill with my grandfather. Then moved to Ballard. After I got married, and I was a poor white boy, we ended up at Cherry Park (South Seattle, Beacon Hill). Back then it was the Rainier Avenue ghetto area, which now has been renamed Martin Luther King Blvd.

After living with my parents in the Tri-cities and going to college I moved back to the west side of the state, but it was on the peninsula, about 17 miles across the sound from Seattle.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    West Seattle? What the hell were you doing in West Seattle? Even us that were Seattlites avoided West Seattle. The only thing I remember liking about West Seattle is that it was a great place to see the downtown Seattle skyline.

My first time in West Seattle? I remember it well. I was delivering a 1974 VW Vanagon that belonged to some purple haired chick from SE Portland, to some random ass guy who repaired the things out of his tiny ass one-car garage up there. Street was littered with Vanagons.

Thankfully I've never been to West Seattle when I wasn't getting paid, kinda like a prostitute.

The only "good" part of that trip, is on the bridge and being able to look down into the steel foundry and seeing the molten pot of steel. That was kinda cool. Everything else about West Seattle (Seattle in general) sucks copious amounts of donkey semen.

Top Bottom