Why the big rush for concealed carry?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Texas42, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    First off, I am a big time biever in having a CHL.

I understand why people are buying guns and ammo because of the election. I get that.

As I understand it since the election, there alot more people getting their CHL, and I am assuming the election is the cause.

I just don't get why the election would cause people to get their CHL.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts.

Sorry if this was in the wrong area.

Thanks.

2. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I don't think it has to do with the election as much as it does with the economy people are losing jobs and therefore people may think that others may get desperate and resort to crime.

3. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009

4. Jeff B

Jeff B Active Member

May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    I think there may be some feeling that the new Administration may try to implement some sort of moratorium on new CHL's as they try to figure out how to ban concealed carry on a nationwide basis.

That said, I think that the general uptrend in CHL applicants and licensees is in large part due to concerns about personal safety and protection.

Jeff B.

5. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Those buying guns for the first time are seeing those with CHL's doing cash & carry. I'm glad I don't have to wait on a stupid system that's overloaded.

6. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have to think that part of it goes back to the election. There are so many new gun owners now. It is well documented that guns are selling at a feverish pace, much more so than the previous 8 years. Of these new gun owners, some will elect to have a CHL. I think this influx of additional applicants, coupled with a slow response by DPS to add additional reviewers has created the extended turnaround time people are seeing now. It was never a fast process, I think my first CHL took about 8 weeks.

7. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I don't have a chl although I plan to take the course soon. By your first chl, am I to assume you have to renew it regularly?

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yes, your initial license is valid for 4 years. After that, your renewed licenses are valid for 5 years.

9. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Thanks.:bowdown:

10. CALI

CALI Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    and every fees that you pay is at a half price (renewal).