• leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

BIG 80 this past Saturday.

CC’ing since a very scary incident in Houston late 1980; was only able to get away from a vicious criminal a few days out of Huntsvile, b/c I was in training for the Houston-Tenneco Marathon the 2nd week of January ‘81.

The guy attacked ”Hook” of Hooks Gun Shop on South Post Oak the next morning. Hook was a Special Forces Guy who had lost his left hand in Vietnam, thus the “Hook”. He hooked the BG through his belt & pressed a HI-Power into his forehead until Police arrived. The clerk later told me that when the BG was put in cuffs, he had the little 9mm circle dent in his forehead. BG went back to Huntsville for years, the Judge was not happy with him.

Was advised by two different career HPD Officers to go ahead & CC. We both got the permits when they became available.

Have had a half-dozen incipient street attacks in the 43 years since; but have only “drawn” once, for the pit-bull scare a couple weeks back.

As a kid in a neighboring State, we OC’d legally, often, but back then no-one gave it any notice.

I thank GOD that I’m still up & able for most things after 2 big Cancer surgery ordeals.

The weakness of age plus arthritis means I must use water-pump pliers to open milk jugs.

One of my old Houston MD-Students took over part of U of FL Jacksonville Med and has offered me an 8 hours/week job, working from home, doing brain & spine consults via “Tele-Radiology”. Looking forward to doing a bit of work again.

Been away from Texas almost 15 years, but visit almost monthly and keep the permits current.

leVieux

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    <>

BIG 80 this past Saturday.

CC’ing since a very scary incident in Houston late 1980; was only able to get away from a vicious criminal a few days out of Huntsvile, b/c I was in training for the Houston-Tenneco Marathon the 2nd week of January ‘81.

The guy attacked ”Hook” of Hooks Gun Shop on South Post Oak the next morning. Hook was a Special Forces Guy who had lost his left hand in Vietnam, thus the “Hook”. He hooked the BG through his belt & pressed a HI-Power into his forehead until Police arrived. The clerk later told me that when the BG was put in cuffs, he had the little 9mm circle dent in his forehead. BG went back to Huntsville for years, the Judge was not happy with him.

Was advised by two different career HPD Officers to go ahead & CC. We both got the permits when they became available.

Have had a half-dozen incipient street attacks in the 43 years since; but have only “drawn” once, for the pit-bull scare a couple weeks back.

As a kid in a neighboring State, we OC’d legally, often, but back then no-one gave it any notice.

I thank GOD that I’m still up & able for most things after 2 big Cancer surgery ordeals.

The weakness of age plus arthritis means I must use water-pump pliers to open milk jugs.

One of my old Houston MD-Students took over part of U of FL Jacksonville Med and has offered me an 8 hours/week job, working from home, doing brain & spine consults via “Tele-Radiology”. Looking forward to doing a bit of work again.

Been away from Texas almost 15 years, but visit almost monthly and keep the permits current.

leVieux
    I used to buy a lot of stuff at Hooks in the 80s. Hook would clamp my credit card in his hook when I made payment and would write my info down. When pulled it out of his hook to return it his hook would make very distinct ping sound. For some reason I have never forgotten that.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I used to buy a lot of stuff at Hooks in the 80s. Hook would clamp my credit card in his hook when I made payment and would write my info down. When pulled it out of his hook to return it his hook would make very distinct ping sound. For some reason I have never forgotten that.
    <>

The incident I described was how I met “Hook”. I was Med School Faculty @ UTHSC Hermann in Neuroradiology. The Doc @ Westbury Hospital was a Friend, both mine & Hook’s. They had a new CT Scanner & he was afraid to make an error on a brain exam, so he asked me to go by “on my way home” to check it out. The Circle K or 7-11 was in their parking lot. I stopped to get a 6-pack to take home. The BG was wearing a windbreaker over a green scrub shirt, so I thought he was from the Hospital. He tried to kidnap me at gunpoint. I was able to get away in Jeep, the wire door frame pushed him back, & I was able to leave.

When I called Doc Friend next day, he told me of Hook catching the BG. Hook went to the arraignment, I was “on call” to go to testify. When the Judge learned that the BG had just been paroled from Huntsville 3 or 4 days earlier, he just revoked all parole & probation, BG went back for a long, long time.

Soon, I bought 2 defensive pistols from Hook; a PPKS .380 & a J-frame .38Spl.

We left Houston in late October ‘81, & didn’t live there again until 2005.

leVieux

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    to the OP's title question, sure I'll share my age...you can have 35 years. Thanks I feel so much younger.
    I'm guessing a few of us wouldn't mind giving back some years and starting over. But now that I think about it maybe not because of the way of the world today. I had fun growing up in the 50's 60's, today you would have more to worry about.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom