Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Carrying handgun in car without CCL

Hello,

I live in San Antonio, TX and I carry a loaded 9mm in the glove box of my car and I do not have my CCL yet, it was my understanding that this was legal according to Senate Bill 378 effective September 1, 2007.

I was talking to my coworkers today about this and they swore up and down this was illegal. They said it was ok to transport the gun from the range and back home but it's against the law to have it loaded and hidden 24/7.

I'm pretty sure they are wrong but it does have me wondering.

Does anyone else do this? Have you been pulled over and told the police officer you had a concealed gun with your CCL?

Thanks,

-Mike

Re: Carrying handgun in car without CCL

It's perfectly legal, as long as your not a member of a gang, committing a crime other than a traffic related class C misdemeanor, Yada yada yada.

Your coworkers probably don't own guns and obviously don't understand the law.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samual Adams

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND MY STATE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EITHER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO GTFO

Not sure if your citing the right bill for your argument though but others are better with that part.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samual Adams

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND MY STATE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EITHER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO GTFO

Mosted Hated Member

The bill was codified into the penal code. Google Texas penal code 46.02.
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    *(a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water. (not in effect until 9-1-11)*

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Also note that (in Texas) the State is the only entity that can make laws about firearms (except the Feds). Local government is prohibited from it, so no worry over some unknown ordinance.
    Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I'm on all of the watch lists.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
    Also note that (in Texas) the State is the only entity that can make laws about firearms (except the Feds). Local government is prohibited from it, so no worry over some unknown ordinance.
    isnt that what sa does, makes up their own firearms ordinances?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawico View Post
    He doesn't know how to use the extra features available, like sig lines and avatars.

I think I cited the bill that allows you to use deadly force if you have a concealed firearm in your vehicle without your CCL.

Also I have another question, My girlfriend drives the car without me with the handgun in the car, both the car and gun are in my name.

is it still be legal?

The way I understood it, unless she's a gang member, doing something illegal, or has it in the seat or on the dash, she should be just fine
    Taurus PT1911 9mm
    Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .45ACP
    Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag
    FIE F15 .22LR
    Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223/5.56 NATO
    Savage Mod 64F .22LR
    Glenfield Mod 60 .22LR
    Universal M1 Carbine .30 cal
    Tikka M695 7mm Rem Mag
    Maverick 88 12 ga

Mine stays in the vehicle. It's fine in TX and NM. In OK the chamber needs to be empty but the mag can be full and inserted.
    It ain't about you.
    Get over it.

Mosted Hated Member

Quote Originally Posted by REDinSOXicated View Post
    I think I cited the bill that allows you to use deadly force if you have a concealed firearm in your vehicle without your CCL.
    There was no bill or law that specifies using deadly force in a vehicle, with or without a CHL. The Castle Doctrine gave a presumption of reasonable belief under certain conditions, and in specific locations.

Also I have another question, My girlfriend drives the car without me with the handgun in the car, both the car and gun are in my name.

is it still be legal?
    Look up a few posts where I quoted the actual law for you. If she is in control of the car and meets the other requirements, she is fine.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast