• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Fleeing alone is not justification for deadly force. Tennessee v. Garner established that. There has to be probable cause to belive that there is significant risk of death or serious physical injury to the officer, or others.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. As I mentioned, I do not condone the officer's actions.
    I was merely pointing out that they are lying to us.
    Innocent people don't drop a hamburger and flee from the police.
    And I agree that the officer might be using the line: "he hit me with his vehicle which is assault with a deadly weapon and gives me an excuse to open fire".

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Here's another example for y'all to ponder, where a lapse in good judgement by a veteran LE officer - a Sergeant no less - leads to a shootout.

This woman is stopped in Gladstone, Oregon (not too far from where I used to live) and they find out she has an extraditeable warrant out of Ector County, Texas (she embezzeled 1.4M - why the hell she's slumming around Gladstone is beyond me)

The police agree to stop by her house on the way to jail, to secure her two pitbulls (breed of peace thread relateable!) since she's going to be taking an unexpected trip back to Texas. Instead of calling out the on-duty animal control people to handle the task of collecting the dogs with the consent of the owner - they take her into the home (still handcuffed) to deal with her pitties. She distracts the sergeant while saying she'll get their leashes, retrieves a 9mm pistol, and proceeds to shoot the sergeant in the arm and leg - his leg injury is bad enough he medically retired.

Not sure why we don't get body cam footage from the Sgt, only the officer who initiated the stop. Maybe Sergeant wasn't wearing a camera? Unknown if the doggos survived the shootout - you'd think they'd be barking their damn heads off with all the shooting, but they're silent after the gunshots stop. If I had to guess, they're probably dead.

She's been charged with attempted aggrevated murder, which Oregon's representatives felt compelled to place a 10 year max sentance on. She'll probably serve 3, if she gets convicted on that charge and not allowed to plea it down. Clackamas County - where the incident took place, is one of the more conservative counties in the Portland area, so her chances of getting a jury to acquit is low. Ector County intends to extradite still, upon her release from Oregon's DOC.

If the sergeant hadn't made the decision to allow her back into her home to take care of the dogs, and then allowing her access to a room he hadn't cleared - he'd still be working, they wouldn't have been in a shootout, and the woman wouldn't have been shot. She'd probably still be sitting in jail in Ector County awaiting trial, or already been convicted and taking up residence in one of Texas' fine correctional institutions.

No good deed goes unpunished.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    SAN ANTONIO – Update Oct. 13, 2 p.m.: SAPD confirmed the license plates did not belong to the vehicle Cantu was operating but reiterated that the vehicle was not stolen. “Due to the ongoing investigation, this is all we can provide,” police said.

Brennand said he suspected the car Cantu was driving was stolen, but San Antonio police now confirm that wasn’t the case. “We can confirm that the vehicle was not a stolen vehicle,” a spokesperson with SAPD told KSAT via email.

Highlighted for emphasis. At the time, the officer had legitimate cause to believe the vehicle was stolen given the plates did not match it.

Confirming after the fact that it wasn't stolen doesn't change a thing.

Sometimes I believe the SAPD releases such information in an effort against the truth and their officers!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At the time, the officer had legitimate cause to believe the vehicle was stolen given the plates did not match it.
    I didn't realize it had been verified that the officer knew the plates didn't match before approaching the vehicle.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I didn't realize it had been verified that the officer knew the plates didn't match before approaching the vehicle.
    I hadn't either. That makes it a legal stop. Now whether it was a legal shoot or not is a completely different story. The DA says no. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the trial.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

It wasn’t. He knew they did not match the night before because that is why he made the attempted stop.

But at McD he did not get confirmation it was a mis-match. It is possible he remembered the plates and did know it was same mismatched plates.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It is possible he remembered the plates and did know it was same mismatched plates.
    Yes, I suppose so.

Yet, I prefer to wait on formal confirmation of that. Given the overall incompetence exhibited, I'm not terribly sure I'd be willing to bet on the memory of this guy to accurately recall a semi-random set of letters and numbers from the previous day.

Still, that's a decent theory to hold on to until we know more. I suppose cops are likely to remember plate numbers since they deal with them so often. I know there are formats of numbers that my career pounded into my head. I find I can memorize a new number in those formats surprisingly often so, yeah, I can see where that's possible.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The San Antonio city officials are being way too tight lipped about this case for me to trust them. They know the status of that car, they know everything about the suspect.
    Agreed. I've been saying the same thing. Deafening silence about the kid and the car. 0 information.
    The facts will eventually come out but it takes a while for someone to dig them out while the big blue lid is sitting on it.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    You'll [not] be surprised to know Erik Cantu is a dirtbag and he did indeed flee from the same officer the day before. Still not clear if the car was stolen or just the plates were swapped.

His girlfriend was the passenger, knew he was trouble, and said Erik "kinda dragged" the officer just prior to being shot.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You'll [not] be surprised to know Erik Cantu is a dirtbag and he did indeed flee from the same officer the day before. Still not clear if the car was stolen or just the plates were swapped.

His girlfriend was the passenger, knew he was trouble, and said Erik "kinda dragged" the officer just prior to being shot.

The City of San Antonio doesn't want info to get out that may contradict their narrative...

Time to drop the charges against Brennand, refile the charges against the shitbird and add in felony eluding from the night before. **** Cantu.

Reactions: Eli

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is nothing about the character of the guy who got shot that excuses the insane way the LEO handled the situation.
    I agree with that. These new facts might have made the stop a legal one, but that's not why charges were filed against the former officer. His first volley of shots is hard to justify, but his second volley has absolutely no justification that I can see.

I do agree that the shitbird should still be charged for what he did if he survives though.

Both need to spend some hard time behind bars.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    There is nothing about the character of the guy who got shot that excuses the insane way the LEO handled the situation.
    Prior knowledge can absolutely be a factor in the "totality of circumstances" in why and how you approach or detain someone.

If the new information is true it certainly helps explain the immediate guilty reaction of wanting away from the symbol of authority that suddenly appeared at his door.

I've startled a number of folks doing a number of things and have not yet had someone innocent run from me.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    It seems like someone rich and influential is pulling the strings on this one, trying to keep things on the down low.
    I agree that the more they try to cover it up, the more it smells.
    What are they hiding and why? Whose illegitimate criminal son was driving that night? The mayor's? Beta's? :D

Top Bottom