• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I cued up the video right after he requests backup - dispatch confirms he wants a code 3 response, which our shooter confirms. Right after that he does give the plate to be run, the audio is cut out I'm assuming for privacy reasons. The audio doesn't pick back up until the officer reaches for the door, so we cannot hear what the dispatcher's response was, though we do hear the dispatcher's last syallable right before the cop says "get out of the car"

As the second string of fire is let off, and right after, the dispatcher is communicating with other units. He says something about the return on the plate that I cannot make out. I'd like to see transcripts of the audio log on that to see what was said.

If he ran the plate, it should have come back clear and he shouldn't have proceeded like he did. If he didn't wait for the plates to come back, that's just more screw ups on his part.

I'd also like to see those transcripts. They'll probably come out when/if he goes to trial.
    Military Camp

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If he ran the plate, it should have come back clear and he shouldn't have proceeded like he did. If he didn't wait for the plates to come back, that's just more screw ups on his part.

That's the thing - the audio was cut when dispatch was talking to him - we don't *know* what the plate came back as. And the next time we hear dispatch - he's firing his 2nd string, and then after - and my ears aren't good enough to make out everything dispatch says. I can clearly hear the words plate and return but not the others as dispatch is communicating to responding backup.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Man, that's an insult to buffalo if there ever was one :laughing:
    cenk-uygur-the-young-turks.gif

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Cantu was initially charged by proxy with evading detention in a vehicle and assault on an officer, however, Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales dropped the charges two days after the incident, pending further investigation.

“That’s not to say that charges can’t or won’t be brought against that individual, but for now, that is the decision that we are making,” Gonzales said after reviewing the footage.

The more I ponder this - and the lack of other evidence coming out - the more I suspect that indeed, it'll turn out that this kid is a shitbird, the car was stolen, and his parents are going to claim he was a perfect angel.

Even though the union won't be fighting for reinstatement - Brennand could still sue the PD for wrongful termination (yeah, I know, he was probationary, but if he is vindicated and the investigation ultimately concludes the shoot was legal he could still have a case) and wind up reinstated, or at least given back pay and negative shit removed from his file, so he can get a job with some podunk PD someplace. Or maybe Fort Worth, since they take trade-ins...

McManus' getting out front and claiming the shoot was unjustitifed doesn't mean shit if the investigation or a jury proves otherwise.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That's the thing - the audio was cut when dispatch was talking to him - we don't *know* what the plate came back as. And the next time we hear dispatch - he's firing his 2nd string, and then after - and my ears aren't good enough to make out everything dispatch says. I can clearly hear the words plate and return but not the others as dispatch is communicating to responding backup.

And this just shows his inexperience and he let his temper get the better of him. Time was on the officer's side. Wait for the plates/warrants to come back, wait for backup, but no he just rushed right in.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    And this just shows his inexperience and he let his temper get the better of him. Time was on the officer's side. Wait for the plates/warrants to come back, wait for backup, but no he just rushed right in.

Agree - shudda waited, he had cover coming code 3, they were probably 90 seconds or maybe two minutes out. Kid could've moved on from his double cheese to his fries, or his girlfriend's milkshake and still been sitting there. They could've blocked the car in with one of their cars. Lots that should've been done different.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Even though the union won't be fighting for reinstatement - Brennand could still sue the PD for wrongful termination (yeah, I know, he was probationary, but if he is vindicated and the investigation ultimately concludes the shoot was legal he could still have a case) and wind up reinstated, or at least given back pay and negative shit removed from his file, so he can get a job with some podunk PD someplace. Or maybe Fort Worth, since they take trade-ins...

Never known a probie to get re-instated. They are usually fired for just cause, and there is no way out of it. I am sure he was not fired for the shoot, but for violating dept policy or something that is independent if good shoot/bad shoot.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Never known a probie to get re-instated. They are usually fired for just cause, and there is no way out of it. I am sure he was not fired for the shoot, but for violating dept policy or something that is independent if good shoot/bad shoot.

And that's probably why McManus got out in front and was claiming the shoot wasn't justified - he's probably had command going over everything and writing for policy violations. I don't think the shoot will be deemed unlawful - at least the first string. The second string of fire - a lot more questionable - might arise to assault w/ deadly weapon or attempted murder. Not sure the DA would push for that though - especially if the PD is already understaffed. Politics will play a big role in that decision. I guess part of the question will be - which shots *hit* the kid, the first string, the second string, some of both? How many holes did he wind up with?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I did not see anything that justified the use of deadly force. Every shot was illegal.
    I lean that way too. I don't think the officer getting bumped by the open door is enough to justify deadly force, especially considering that he was well clear of it by the time he fired the first shot.

Facts might later come out to change my opinion of this, but for now, I don't think anything that officer did single thing right. He's a **** up, and for his sake, he better hope that teen makes it or some massive bombshell evidence comes out to clear him.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

“According to SAPD, Brennand was fired for violating departmental tactics and procedures.”

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I guess part of the question will be - which shots *hit* the kid, the first string, the second string, some of both?
    That's something I want to know, too. In line with that (pun intended), how did the girl wind up NOT getting shot? For the first string of fire, aiming at the driver was essentially the same as aiming at the passenger; they were right in line. Boyfriend might have stopped the bullets for her or the officer might have missed with all of those; we don't know yet. But that seems like another potential set of policy/training violations. Except under the most extreme circumstances, you're really not supposed to shoot at someone when an (assumed) innocent is directly in the line of fire, right?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That's something I want to know, too. In line with that (pun intended), how did the girl wind up NOT getting shot? For the first string of fire, aiming at the driver was essentially the same as aiming at the passenger; they were right in line. Boyfriend might have stopped the bullets for her or the officer might have missed with all of those; we don't know yet. But that seems like another potential set of policy/training violations. Except under the most extreme circumstances, you're really not supposed to shoot at someone when an (assumed) innocent is directly in the line of fire, right?
    Pistols vs Cars

Pistol caliber rounds are ALL underpowered/borderline effective at best against barriers

*from what I recall watching once* I think the B-pillar would have provided substantial cover for the passenger on the first string of shots. B-pillars are pretty resistant to pistol rounds,

Even car doors are not something that I would shoot through and expect to get a good penetratve hit against. Door skin, internal frame, window regulator, insulation, interior panel... thats a lot for a pistol to get through before it even has a chance to do real work.

And sometimes you just get lucky...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads