• ...and so much more!
  • Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    TL;DR
    Cop messed up not following procedure, BUT stupid kid decided to play stupid games and try to escape a uniformed Peace Officer.
    Section 9.51
    (c) A peace officer is justified in using deadly force against another when and to the degree the peace officer reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary to make an arrest, or to prevent escape after arrest, if the use of force would have been justified under Subsection (a) and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct for which arrest is authorized included the use or attempted use of deadly force; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes there is a substantial risk that the person to be arrested will cause death or serious bodily injury to the actor or another if the arrest is delayed.
    The 17-year-old driver is in the hospital, most likely at taxpayer expense.
    The probationary officer was fired for policy violations, not legal violations.

Eli

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Since bad tactics by an officer is a big factor in the shooting this topic is based on, what do y'all think of this:

Casper, Wyoming police conducted a traffic stop. It was a pair of officers - I don't know if one is a trainee, or if Casper runs two man cars (small town, I wouldn't think they would be running in pairs) - while one officer returns to the vehicle to try and run the driver and passenger (who claimed to be the owner of the vehicle), the driver abruptly exits the vehicle. The officer who was running the pair then takes control over the driver as the passenger jumps into the driver seat to flee - the officer who had been watching the pair jumps in the vehicle in an attempt to stop him. The guy takes off with him in the car - getting shot just a few seconds later. He died from his gunshot wounds. Had that officer not jumped into the car in attempt to stop the flight - he wouldn't have gone for a joyride, and the situation might've been resolved without killing someone.

Insanity is the obituary for the deceased:
    Thomas Joseph "TJ" Roeber age 42 passed away on May 6, 2021 doing what he always did, TJ loved to live life on the edge.

Only because they wanted to get rid of him ASAP before legal investigation was complete.

He has since been charged for legal violations.
    Which were done improperly, and will be dismissed.

Eli

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Good shoot, but if I was chief I would fire officer, cause in my Dept there would be a hard/fast rule, Never, ever get into a suspect car, do not even reach in such that you could get trapped. By doing this, officer put his life at unnecessary risk, and severely limited his options to only deadly force.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    stupid kid decided to play stupid games and try to escape a uniformed Peace Officer.
    That's an overstatement. In the instant context, the uniform lacked sufficient meaning to be determinative.

No one with a brain recognizes, respects, and obeys a uniform unless the totality of circumstances warrants it. That was not the case here.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That's an overstatement. In the instant context, the uniform lacked sufficient meaning to be determinative.

No one with a brain recognizes, respects, and obeys a uniform unless the totality of circumstances warrants it. That was not the case here.
    The video show a large well lit light to the right of the vehicle. So LEO was backlit and driver may not have even seen the uniform just the gun pointed in his face

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

It's not an overstatement, the uniform identifies the person as a peace officer as a matter of law. Cantu (the driver) identified the officer as an officer - Cantu looked the officer in the eye - and tried to escape in a manner that endangered the officer and the public, justifying the use of deadly force.
    I'm still waiting to hear if it was the same car, and if the driver had any criminal history; and I suspect charges were dropped against Cantu to prevent arrest and county liability for medical care if he were to be arrested.
    ETA: Cantu appeared, to me, to be under the influence, so I'm curious about any tox reports.

Eli

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Yeeeah, that's one for the fucked around & found out thread right there! Tell a cop, any cop "I got a gun and I'm gonna shoot you" and see how that plays out. I think they'd even be OK with that in Seattle.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Great. More leftist propaganda. Emotions over facts, as usual.
    The cop did not shoot an innocent teen eating a hamburger. He shot at a suspect fleeing. (isn't feeling from the police a felony??)
    I do not justify what the officer did. But they are still covering things up. No information on the "innocent" teen and why he ran. They are telling a lop-sided story. There is definitely more to this that we are not allowed to know.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The cop did not shoot an innocent teen eating a hamburger. He shot at a suspect fleeing. (isn't feeling from the police a felony??)
    I do not justify what the officer did. But they are still covering things up. No information on the "innocent" teen and why he ran. They are telling a lop-sided story. There is definitely more to this that we are not allowed to know.
    Yep. The entire basis for the McD stop was officer thought it was same car he chased night before. Since officer called in plates of car night before, they absolutely know if this was same plates or not.

They will not say I am guessing, because it is the same.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How much longer till we can get the truth/facts?

SAN ANTONIO – Update Oct. 13, 2 p.m.: SAPD confirmed the license plates did not belong to the vehicle Cantu was operating but reiterated that the vehicle was not stolen. “Due to the ongoing investigation, this is all we can provide,” police said.

Brennand said he suspected the car Cantu was driving was stolen, but San Antonio police now confirm that wasn’t the case. “We can confirm that the vehicle was not a stolen vehicle,” a spokesperson with SAPD told KSAT via email.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fleeing alone is not justification for deadly force. Tennessee v. Garner established that. There has to be probable cause to belive that there is significant risk of death or serious physical injury to the officer, or others.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    SAN ANTONIO – Update Oct. 13, 2 p.m.: SAPD confirmed the license plates did not belong to the vehicle Cantu was operating but reiterated that the vehicle was not stolen. “Due to the ongoing investigation, this is all we can provide,” police said.

Brennand said he suspected the car Cantu was driving was stolen, but San Antonio police now confirm that wasn’t the case. “We can confirm that the vehicle was not a stolen vehicle,” a spokesperson with SAPD told KSAT via email.

Ok, so it was mismatched plates on the vehicle, BUT

they still will not confirm if it was the same plates as they night before.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Damn…

Going back to this, it opens with:

Editor's Note: This story was edited to reflect that it's unclear from the body-cam video whether the driver put his car in reverse or it rolled backward because his foot left the brake pedal. The word "suspect" has also been removed and other details have been edited to more accurately reflect what can be seen in the video.

Serious? They cannot see his right hand drop the shifter one notch down into "R"?

However, in body-cam footage posted by the department, it appears the teen — who's recovering in hospital — never struck the officer.

Again, it sure looks like the door brushed the officer. Funny, in this case, they claim the video shows the car does not hit officer.

Top Bottom