• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Haven't read the thread, but I will offer this advice. I've actually been indoors once when a 12 gauge was negligently discharged (yes, I'm the idiot and I've told the story here many times). First, I was completely stunned and disoriented after the gun fired. It was so loud, my ears ringed for a few days afterwards. I was so looped out, someone could have walked over to me, pushed me over with 1 hand, and disarmed me. Granted, I didn't have the adrenaline dump going thru me that you would expect to have if someone was about to put you in a life or death situation. Second, Number 2 steel shot (which I kept loaded for self defense so it wouldn't over penetrate) actually made it thru 4 drywall walls and some clothes. I was very lucky it didn't go into an adjacent apartment.
    Target Sports

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    What is YOUR experience?

Bird shot is extremely ineffective as a defensive ammo. Especially against a person heavily clothed.

Are you speaking from experience?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I have probably shot more medium to large animals than 99% of the population. I can assure you that bird shot, while it may eventually cause death in larger animals, is not a stopper.

Oh, I'm assured? Well that settles it.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    There are many accounts of police officers, hunters, and paramedics involving close range birdshot victims and what they say is pretty uniform. Big, ugly, horrible LOOKING wounds, but not life threatening unless left untreated.

I worked in the ICU for years and can recount many GSW patients that didn't make it to us from the ER. Small caliber gut shots (pistol) are far more survivable than a shotgun to the torso at close range. And by close range, I mean across a room. Not 20 yards.

I've also shot more than my share of medium game. I know how to put them down cleanly and quickly. For close range, I don't have any qualms about 12ga birdshot to the head or vitals. It's killed many, many pigs and they weren't even wearing 4 layers of denim.

Have a nice day.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I shot a rabid coon at less than 10yards with a 20ga Remington 1100, modified choke, #7 birdshot.

Didn't blow a hole in him. Rolled him over backwards but showed very little in the way of visible trauma. Definitely didn't blow a hole in him.

But I'm sure 20ga to 12ga makes all the difference.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    No bird shot for HD ever.

And yes, I have "personal" experience - had nothing but birdshot at hand to eliminate a possibly rabid coyote that was chowing down on a fawn (with absolutely no fear of the human who almost literally stumbled upon him) in my dad's backyard. At extremely close range - within 20 feet - it took three rounds of birdshot to take Wile E down. Now, extrapolate from a 40 lb coyote to a 175 lb meth head busting your door down...birdshot's not gonna be something I trust my life to.

I've heard that #4 buck is a good choice where wall penetration is a worry.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    No bird shot for HD ever.

And yes, I have "personal" experience - had nothing but birdshot at hand to eliminate a possibly rabid coyote that was chowing down on a fawn (with absolutely no fear of the human who almost literally stumbled upon him) in my dad's backyard. At extremely close range - within 20 feet - it took three rounds of birdshot to take Wile E down. Now, extrapolate from a 40 lb coyote to a 175 lb meth head busting your door down...birdshot's not gonna be something I trust my life to.

I've heard that #4 buck is a good choice where wall penetration is a worry.
    My gun shop said to use 4 or 00 buck. 4 will create a nastier hole but isn't meant for 25 yds or further.

I can't imagine duck loads or high brass not doing its job within 15-10 feet

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I got my Beretta 1201P loaded with the modern version of that old favorite the buck-n-ball. The Winchester PDX1 load has three 00-buck copper plated pellets on top of a 1 oz slug.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I have shot people and in my experience, penetration (and obviously accuracy) is needed - I haven't shot anyone with a shotgun, but the same terminal ballistics requirements to stop someone still apply.

While I agree that a near-contact wound with bird-shot can be devastating, I'd prefer not to have to close in with the threat just so my mojo starts working, you know?

I don't have kids, so while only my many girlfriends have to worry about excess penetration *cough*, I do feel some sympathy for anyone who does due to neighbors, kids, etc because that could limit your choices - and I'd hate to have to choose between the ability to stop someone vs the risk of over-penetration. If it were me, I'd try to be in some position where I was lower down and shooting angled upwards (or higher up and shooting downward) to minimize the risk to others.

Me, I settled on Federal Tactical #1 Buckshot ammo with FliteControl wad (backed-up with slugs on the side just in case) - I shot this target back in 2013:

1z66nwk.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have shot people and in my experience, penetration (and obviously accuracy) is needed - I haven't shot anyone with a shotgun, but the same terminal ballistics requirements to stop someone still apply.

While I agree that a near-contact wound with bird-shot can be devastating, I'd prefer not to have to close in with the threat just so my mojo starts working, you know?

I don't have kids, so while only my many girlfriends have to worry about excess penetration *cough*, I do feel some sympathy for anyone who does due to neighbors, kids, etc because that could limit your choices - and I'd hate to have to choose between the ability to stop someone vs the risk of over-penetration.

Me, I settled on Federal Tactical #1 Buckshot ammo with FliteControl wad (backed-up with slugs on the side just in case) - I shot this target back in 2013:

1z66nwk.jpg

BAZINGA!

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I forgot to mention - the "Tactical" stuff is usually Low-Recoil, so there's usually less penetration to worry about than normal loads.

WTK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Georgetown, TX
    I agree with the argument that any direct hit form a shotgun from a shotgun, at home defense ranges, is so devastating that barrel length, gauge and load don't make much difference.
    Using birdshot might lessen the damage in the event of a miss or accidental discharge.
    I love pump shotguns but as for the intimidation factor, an intruder isn't likely to laugh at your H&R single shot .410;)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I agree with the argument that any direct hit form a shotgun from a shotgun, at home defense ranges, is so devastating that barrel length, gauge and load don't make much difference.
    Using birdshot might lessen the damage in the event of a miss or accidental discharge.
    I love pump shotguns but as for the intimidation factor, an intruder isn't likely to laugh at your H&R single shot .410;)

All 'Zactly Correct!

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Federal #1 with flight control has been at the top of my list for home defense. I just haven't found it locally yet. Online purchase is kinda high. Sooner or later I will just buy it... lol

the debate is on!

WCDUB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Shortest barrel possible, which would be 18.5in for factory barrels without going to an SBS (short barreled shotgun) which requires the NFA stamp.

Ammo type will be argued to death. I load mine with 00buck, but #4buck would work fine as well. Lots of folks in apartments like birdshot (field/target loads) to reduce the risk of overpenetration. While I do load 00buck in mine, I certainly would not feel undergunned with a 12ga with birdshot. At realistic in-home defense distances of about 15ft, even birdshot will completely f*ck up a perp.

I do not at all agree with the strategy of pumping the action loudly to "deter altercation." Mine is locked and loaded.

Here's mine. 590A1 18.5in
    16333453485_1ef4cd66c0_b.jpg

Great shotgun! What is that light,and what does it cost(with mount)? What is that sling?

Top Bottom