• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm not miltary, but wouldn't the court martial for abusing his wife and child still be counted as a domestic violence conviction? It seems to me that this guy had multiple prohibiting factors he was able to get around. So even if they did just discharge him, I would think the DV conviction would still prohibit him.
    ARJ Defense ad

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Wildcat Diva,

As a mental health professional, What do you think that MIGHT help us deal effectively with such FAR LEFT crazies & VIOLENT haters?

yours, satx

Medications are for mood/ anxiety/ psychosis, not for lack of insight or bad morals or bad beliefs. Therapy is for people who know they have a problem or are at least willing to develop that narrative and want to get better/ make changes.

So much of this evil/ insanity is a moral problem, not a mental health problem.

I can’t fix this shit with therapy.

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    From this morning's press conference:

3 firearms recovered: Ruger .223 rifle at the church and two handguns from his vehicle Glock 9mm, Ruger .22. All purchased by DPK.

DPK called his father during the chase to state he had been shot and wasn't going to make it.

DPK died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

There is video of the shooting from inside the church.

DPK was court-martialed and served time. A DD would make DPK a prohibited person. However the official stopped short of confirming DPK was DD. The investigators are working with .mil to determine this status.

DPK was sending threatening texts to the MIL, who attended the church.

Plate carrier only had a plate in the front; none in the back.

DPK owned four firearms in total. 2 purchased in CO and 2 in TX. One each in 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.

EDIT:
    DPK did not have a LTC.

DPK held an non-commissioned, unarmed security guard license ("similar to a security guard at a concert"). BG check for the license came back clean.

Stephen Willeford used an AR-15 to engage and shoot DPK.

EDIT 2:

Recording of the morning press conference.

DWD

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Medications are for mood/ anxiety/ psychosis, not for lack of insight or bad morals or bad beliefs. Therapy is for people who know they have a problem or are at least willing to develop that narrative and want to get better/ make changes.

So much of this evil/ insanity is a moral problem, not a mental health problem.

I can’t fix this shit with therapy.

Wildcat Diva,

Is it your position that the mass murderer was NOT MENTALLY ILL, as numerous "health professionals" on radio/TV have claimed yesterday/today??

As a retired peace officer, I believe that he was SIMPLY EVIL.

yours, satx

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Another thought. If it’s true that these ex-inlaws of the shooter, if that WAS their church (although they were not in attendance), his motivation may be hate against them, or what represents their person/ values.

I can only imagine their not taking kindly to this man who abused their daughter and I assume grandchild; perhaps the relationship was not a friendly one?

So instead of taking responsibility for his own moral failings, he acts out against who repesents his past conflicts and who he blames for his own hardships?

This is me talking out my ass right now, time will tell details. And the truth may never be crystal clear.

But hate as a motivator is a good bet. People who subscribe to hate don’t usually give it up too easily.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm not miltary, but wouldn't the court martial for abusing his wife and child still be counted as a domestic violence conviction? It seems to me that this guy had multiple prohibiting factors he was able to get around. So even if they did just discharge him, I would think the DV conviction would still prohibit him.

JeepFiend,

YES, a courts-martial conviction is a federal felony & PROHIBITS him from LAWFULLY buying, or even POSSESSING, a firearm.
    (The mass murderer also had a DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE from the USAF, which also PROHIBITS him from owning, or even possessing, a firearm.)

Fyi, criminals, who are convicted of felonies, don't obey laws. That's why they are called FELONS.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    JeepFiend,

YES, a courts-martial conviction is a federal felony & PROHIBITS him from LAWFULLY buying, or even POSSESSING, a firearm.
    (The mass murderer also had a DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE from the USAF, which also PROHIBITS him from owning, or even possessing, a firearm.)

Fyi, criminals, who are convicted of felonies, don't obey laws. That's why they are called FELONS.

yours, satx
    If he bought these guns from stores then somewhere the system failed.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Wildcat Diva,

Is it your position that the mass murderer was NOT MENTALLY ILL, as numerous "health professionals" on radio/TV have claimed yesterday/today??

yours, satx
    Well, I can’t diagnose over the Internet. Would have to see the person, in person. As would anybody else. So I couldn’t say either way.

A person could be of evil motivation with no morals, AND have mental illness on top of that. So it doesn’t have to be either/ or. We are often here conflating morality (or lack thereof), and criminality, with mental illness.

But likely he has some anti-social traits, that’s not ‘rocket-surgery’ (ha) to guess that one.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Wildcat Diva,

yours, satx
    In my opinion, one couldn't be this evil, without having mental issues...

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Cnn is reporting that law enforcement officials said he bought the gun at an Academy store in April 2016.

"Kelley purchased the Ruger AR-556 rifle in April 2016 from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law enforcement official told CNN.

When Kelley filled out the background check paperwork at the store, he checked the box to indicate he didn't have disqualifying criminal history, the official said. He listed an address in Colorado Springs, Colorado when he bought the rifle, the official said."

Dirt n Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    The investigation may unveil a breakdown in data sharing from the military to NICS. As history has shown, government agencies and groups are not good at information sharing and communication. This guy had two offenses that should have prohibited his purchases. If he was actually able to make 4 separate purchases then the system certainly failed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

easy rider,

EXACTLY SO. = That is WHY that having the BATFE in charge of firearms/ammo/explosive is STUPID, as (in my long experience) the average BATF employee is slothful, wasteful with taxpayer's $$$$$, "attention seeking" & INSUFFERABLY ARROGANT.
    (The BATFE agents, that I met "on the job", are more likely to want to be "on TV" than they are to actually do real/boring but necessary police work.)

just my OPINION, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The investigation may unveil a breakdown in data sharing from the military to NICS. As history has shown, government agencies and groups are not good at information sharing and communication. This guy had two offenses that should have prohibited his purchases. If he was actually able to make 4 separate purchases then the system certainly failed.

Dirt n Dust,

It's a POOR & way too expensive system. = IMO, we would do well to abolish ALL federal gun laws & the BATFE & let the 50 state police agencies handle such criminals.
    (Fwiw, I was once a SA/SAA with one of the military investigating agencies & the FBI/BATFE/DEA tried to NOT help us, when we requested assistance . Otoh, the USPS Special Agents & the USMS were VERY HELPFUL.)

Btw, we have 80+ federal LE agencies which each have their own "empire" to protect & we would be 100% better off with ABOLISHING all but ONE or TWO such agencies & turning as much of LE case-load back to the 50 States as is possible. =====> It makes NO difference which badge/credential that a LEO carries.
    (We need >80 federal police agencies like we all need an aggressive cancer.)

yours, satx

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    In my opinion, one couldn't be this evil, without having mental issues...
    Yeah, but even so. What diagnosis? What is the prescribed treatment that would have been effective? What can we do to catch this?

People who don’t want treatment for a diagnosis they don’t want to get assessed or treated aren’t going to be identified and helped. So it will continue. Calling whatever this is “mental issues” isn’t gonna cut it at the end of the day. And having a social stigma on “mental issues” just means most of it goes underground and is buried anyways. Until it pops up and is off the chain.

Top Bottom