• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Wow, this thing sounds nice! I've never heard of these before. It would make cleaning the AR way easier. Can this be safely done indoors, like inside the house? Not the garage.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Can this be safely done indoors, like inside the house? Not the garage.
    Seems most are using water with dishwashing soap, TCP, Simple Green or other common cleaning products so yea, indoor use is good. Disclaimer, read MSDS and follow ventilation requirements. You seem like tha sueing type.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Seems most are using water with dishwashing soap, TCP, Simple Green or other common cleaning products so yea, indoor use is good. Disclaimer, read MSDS and follow ventilation requirements. You seem like tha sueing type.

You don't know me too well if you think i'm the suing type.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    So how would one go about drying water out of every corner and crevice of the gun after using the sonic cleaner? It seems like that could get kind of annoying, and I wouldn't want to rust my firearms.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Did you see the 'BS' flag after sueing type? Come on, pay attention, this ain't rocket surgery here

To dry after cleaning lay in direct sunlight, ample compressed air, radiant heat, etc.

I've handwashed my Glock, never breaking down the slide components, w/soap, water and toothbrush for years and dried as above. After I felt like it was internally dry, I manually manipulate everything to make sure it moves freely. Then lube as required.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    3 minutes is short. I usually run 30 minutes on my cleaner.

The only thing I've lost finish from is my Mark II rear sight base, because the anodizing was badly done. The frames on my Sigs have had no ill effects because the anodizing is Type 3, and done properly. Never lost any finish from the slides, barrels or sights, either. Both Sigs have night sights (Sig, Tru Glow and XS); no issues.

Dan: I field strip my pistol to clean it. I usually do the slide assembly with the barrel next to it, then the frame with fresh water. If you want to try my cleaner, just let me know, you can borrow it.

So how would one go about drying water out of every corner and crevice of the gun after using the sonic cleaner? It seems like that could get kind of annoying, and I wouldn't want to rust my firearms.

You can use it indoors because you are NOT supposed to use flammables in an ultrasonic cleaner. You use soapy water.

Drying isn't hard, since you use HOT water. I boil it in a sauce pan on the stove before I put it in the cleaner with soap. The only thing to remember is that this will take ALL the oil off whatever you're cleaning. The slides for my Sigs come out very obviously dry, so I put some oil back on the surface once they're dry and before I reassemble.

If you think they need a little help drying off, a hair dryer would work fine, but just shaking excess water off and letting them air dry works fine.

I also clean disassembled Mosin bolts, AR bolts, and about anything else that fits. It works pretty well on carburetor parts, too.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Toss the parts on an old cookie sheet in an oven preheated ta 200 degrees - leave in for 30 minutes then remove and allow to cool to the touch. No worries about water inside a small crevice then!

Sheesh.....kids!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Toss the parts on an old cookie sheet in an oven preheated ta 200 degrees - leave in for 30 minutes then remove and allow to cool to the touch. No worries about water inside a small crevice then!

Sheesh.....kids!
    I did this or you can set it on your front porch on a August day in Texas and all water should evaporate in 20 to 30 seconds.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I can see doin' that with Glock parts.......

But with a Taurus or anything better, ya gotta worry 'bout someone stealin' the parts......
    Luckily I could slap the Glock back together and actually have a working gun in 4 or 5 seconds.
    While you are trying to get the 1911 parts together and hoping you have a mag that actually works....I will cover you with my Glock.
    Remember, Colts and Kimbers are for showing your friends....Glocks are for showing your enemies.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ask ChunkyMonkey OR FuelFather how long it takes me ta put a 1911 back together....blindfolded. They had to be able to do the same in order ta shoot my guns - and they shot 'em regularly!

Knowledge of a weapon system is absolutely critical - and if you can't field strip and reassemble quickly, then you're screwed, no matter WHAT make it is. I just figure if I'm gonna shoot somethin', it's gonna be with a *good* gun.
    th_thefinger_red.gif

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Luckily I could slap the Glock back together and actually have a working gun in 4 or 5 seconds.
    While you are trying to get the 1911 parts together and hoping you have a mag that actually works....I will cover you with my Glock.
    Remeber, Colts and Kimbers are for showing your friends....Glocks are for showing your enemies.

Invoking a glock over a 1911 is sacrilegious and brings you bad juju

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    You can use it indoors because you are NOT supposed to use flammables in an ultrasonic cleaner. You use soapy water.
    One trick if you think you need a solvent is to place the solvent and parts in a glass jar with a lid and set it down into the cleaner. Make sure the solvent and water levels are the same, or a little extra solvent - whatever keeps the jar from floating. I have one from HF and it seems to do a decent job, but I haven't had much luck with barrels.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Ask ChunkyMonkey OR FuelFather how long it takes me ta put a 1911 back together....blindfolded. They had to be able to do the same in order ta shoot my guns - and they shot 'em regularly!

Knowledge of a weapon system is absolutely critical - and if you can't field strip and reassemble quickly, then you're screwed, no matter WHAT make it is. I just figure if I'm gonna shoot somethin', it's gonna be with a *good* gun.
    th_thefinger_red.gif

Really? How do you manage putting the slide release through the barrel link? That's the most annoying part for me lol. Sometimes it moves back and you can't slip the slide release through it because it's not aligned with the slide release hole.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Invoking a glock over a 1911 is sacrilegious and brings you bad juju
    So what do I tell my shooting buddies when they are clearing the FTF/FTE from their 1911's (its not one or two of them, its most of them) while I continue to chew up the target with a Glock?

I'm not dissing 1911s just saying they require "maintainence".

How many Glocks get sent back vs. 1911s to get them to feed correctly?

Glocks are ugly but they work...everytime.

Now my apologies for the hijack.....

Top Bottom