• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, I decided not to sell my P938 after all. But I DID still want a shell for my M&P9. If you look at their website, you'll see that they have different styled backings for different sized guns. Basically it's all the same basic shape but with an extension put in at the bottom for longer barrels. You can use a basic backing for a full size frame - you're just going to have barrel sticking down below the backing. I'm ok with that. So I just ordered a shell for my M&P9 for $12 and received it in about a week and a half. In my mind, I basically just got a new holster for $12 that I know I'll enjoy. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1408510253596.jpg
    In this one you can see the old shell next to the holster and the new one mounted. Note how the end of the barrel drops below the backing. I don't even notice it when I'm carrying.

uploadfromtaptalk1408510351198.jpg
    Here you can see how much leather is in contact with the gun and again see how much is poking down.

uploadfromtaptalk1408510418257.jpg
    One thing I learned is both shells are marked for the guns. This tells me they're pre - made and get sent off to another area for assembly or mail out. The way the wait times have been, I thought that as they get your order, then they go create your shell and attach it to the proper backing - really pouring in some personal attention to each order. Now I'm wondering what's taking so long if this is all done similar to the assembly line method of things.
    Military Camp

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I just ordered a shell for my Glock 17 yesterday. I think it will probably be like your M&P9 shell. The original holster leather was for an XDm .38" compact.
    I have a couple other shells too, one for a Shield and one for a S&W model 39. When I ordered those earlier this year, it took 3 weeks just to get the shells. That was just about the same amount of time it took for the complete holster, so a week and a half sounds pretty good.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I just ordered a shell for my Glock 17 yesterday. I think it will probably be like your M&P9 shell. The original holster leather was for an XDm .38" compact.
    I have a couple other shells too, one for a Shield and one for a S&W model 39. When I ordered those earlier this year, it took 3 weeks just to get the shells. That was just about the same amount of time it took for the complete holster, so a week and a half sounds pretty good.

.38" is really compact! You could just carry that in your wallet. :roflsmile:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I love my original AG but I'm considering getting the 2.0 because it uses neoprene composite instead of leather. It's supposedly more comfortable and there's no break-in period. Anyone own one and can vouch for it?

-PAK-

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I own a leather one and don't really know what you mean by "break in period". I've been wearing it since early june and it still looks pretty damn good and it hasn't ever been uncomfortable to wear. I base all this on how I've had to break in several pairs of military leather boots and they always hurt like a summabich the first week or so and in some cases, the leather gets more wrinkly after it's been broken in.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm quoting AG's website. Breaking it in is basically just having the leather conform to the curvature of the body. Mine was pretty stiff for the first week or two. The 2.0 is supposed to have the flexibility of a mouse pad but the strength and dexterity of leather.

-PAK-

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I love my original AG but I'm considering getting the 2.0 because it uses neoprene composite instead of leather. It's supposedly more comfortable and there's no break-in period. Anyone own one and can vouch for it?

-PAK-
    I have the 2.0 and have had other cowhide IWB holsters. Cowhide would be my preference.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Why's that? Can you elaborate a little?

-PAK-
    The neoprene is more flexible, which means it returns to shape after each use and it has to remold every time you put it on. Whereas the leather eventually took the shape or your hip and fit like your favorite pair of jeans. The neoprene is not as comfortable against my skin. The pleather/naugahide backing is thin and seems cheap. I'm waiting on the neoprene & pleather to start unraveling.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    The neoprene is more flexible, which means it returns to shape after each use and it has to remold every time you put it on. Whereas the leather eventually took the shape or your hip and fit like your favorite pair of jeans. The neoprene is not as comfortable against my skin. The pleather/naugahide backing is thin and seems cheap. I'm waiting on the neoprene & pleather to start unraveling.

It was to my understanding that the neoprene was flexible enough to mold instantly to the body every time. Thanks for clearing that up.

-PAK-

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I ordered mine a month ago and just got my second email like this.

We appreciate your order with Alien Gear Holsters. We wanted to ensure you that we have not forgotten or lost your order.

We value your trust in Alien Gear Holsters and will do our best to meet your service expectations. We are working hard to get your order out in a timely manner.

NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Orbitup If you ordered the one with the leather back as opposed to the neoprene one it's going to take a while for them to make it. I'm not sure why it is that way but the same thing happened to me with my holster. I know it stinks waiting for it but the holster is worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Hmmm not sure what's going on then. Maybe they are just super swamped with orders. I had also heard that they had merged with another holster company so getting the production standardized may be causing slow downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom