• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    One of my old high school class mates is diabetic. He was having a diabetic attack in the parking lot of a restaurant that he had pulled into to get off the road. Two Officers pulled him from his truck when he did not respond. He was thrown to the ground ( skinning him up) and was taken to the hospital when he could manage to say the word diabetic. The mistreatment was perpetrated while he was almost comatose. All he needed was a dose of the dextrose packets all first responders should have……the Fire Dept sure has been able to handle a similar event correctly. He didn’t sue because that’s just the guy he is.

Fire Department have medical training. No police I know carry dextrose. Narcan but not dextrose.

What does this have to do with West’s wife? Is she diabetic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There are numerous ailments and medical conditions that can mimic being under the influence, and lead to a driver being impaired.

LE officers are not doctors, or EMT's either. I would guess, or suspect that most probably have the very basics of first aid training and instruction.

Unfortunately, the story @mongoose related is not an isolated or unique experience either. It happens. It shouldn't happen, but it does. Honestly, I don't know what training it would take to keep such an incident from happening.

What I do know is this. When an officer observes a person driving impaired, their first goal is getting that driver off the road and safe. For the safety of the driver and other drivers on the road. What is causing the impairment comes after that.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Fire Department have medical training. No police I know carry dextrose. Narcan but not dextrose.

What does this have to do with West’s wife? Is she diabetic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have no idea if West’s wife is diabetic. Just an example of a medical condition imparing a person. If a Policeman can carry Narcan and are able to make the medical decision to administer it to a peace of shit., then they surely could carry dextrose to administer to a diabetic and make that medical decision. Especially when a person is wearing a medical alert bracelet.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have no idea if West’s wife is diabetic. Just an example of a medical condition imparing a person. If a Policeman can carry Narcan and are able to make the medical decision to administer it to a peace of shit., then they surely could carry dextrose to administer to a diabetic and make that medical decision.
    I can't totally agree with that. That would be asking the officer to make a medical decision that maybe they are not qualified to be making. I'm not even totally comfortable with them using Narcan either.

And again, I think to render such decisions, might need a certain level of training to make that determination to use a particular drug.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I can't totally agree with that. That would be asking the officer to make a medical decision that maybe they are not qualified to be making. I'm not even totally comfortable with them using Narcan either.

And again, I think to render such decisions, might need a certain level of training to make that determination to use a particular drug.
    Then, I would say they need to rethink their training. It’s not rocket science to administer a packet of dextrose.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    As far as the odor of alcohol in the drink, it's pretty stupid to go to lying cop. Especially with the totality of circumstances. Noob confirmation bias or inexperience.

Just sayin.

Haters gonna hate though.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    One of my old high school class mates is diabetic. He was having a diabetic attack in the parking lot of a restaurant that he had pulled into to get off the road. Two Officers pulled him from his truck when he did not respond. He was thrown to the ground ( skinning him up) and was taken to the hospital when he could manage to say the word diabetic. The mistreatment was perpetrated while he was almost comatose. All he needed was a dose of the dextrose packets all first responders should have……the Fire Dept sure has been able to handle a similar event correctly. He didn’t sue because that’s just the guy he is.

That sucks.

Had a crash during DWI prime time where a car ran off the road into a pole. I am first on scene and the guy is moving slow, cant figure out how to open his door, is slurring words to the point of being unable to understand him and he has a lack of coordination... I then saw a test kit on the passenger side and asking he had the diebeetus and he nods. EMS gives him a couple glucose packets and he was fine within seconds. Ask some prelim basic questions because just because he had the diebeetus doesn't mean he wasn't intox. But he was all good. Called a wrecker the truck and his wife picked him up a little bit later.

The reason I found the test kit was the truck had been wrecked and needed to be towed. So per policy I was doing a limited search for valuables for the protection of them since they would no longer be under the control of the owner. Had he been parked, I wouldn't have been able look into his vehicle unless I could have articulated a frisk of the vehicle, which would have been a stretch. No crash also might have meant his vehicle was a greater risk of driving off with a suspected drunk driver at the wheel imparting more urgency to the commands and actions of the officers, possiblly to the point of using force...especially if in the confused state instead of taking of a seatbelt the driver tries to start the car or put it into gear. My interaction with this guy was pretty chill, but under slightly different circumstances it could have been different and I can see a scenario where force would have been justified. Glad everything worked out in the end for your buddy though.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As far as the odor of alcohol in the drink, it's pretty stupid to go to lying cop. Especially with the totality of circumstances. Noob confirmation bias or inexperience.

Just sayin.

Haters gonna hate though.
    Agreed.

The officer could be:

-lying (for what gain?)

-correct

-mistaken

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Then, I would say they need to rethink their training. It’s not rocket science to administer a packet of dextrose.
    What training do you think police have and what do you think police need?

Seriously, you show up to a check welfare urgent in a Whataburger drive through for a person passed out in a running vehicle with the brakes on.

Explain fully how you think an officer with your training should respond and how you think a traditionally trained officer would respond.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The issue with “I smell booze” or “I smell weed” is that unscrupulous cops have used this as an excuse for probable cause.

I bet 99% of the time it’s legit, but I personally know people who have not been drinking, had a cop “smell booze”, they’ve refused the breathalyzer in principle, arrested, had blood drawn and registered 0.00 BAC…and released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The issue with “I smell booze” or “I smell weed” is that unscrupulous cops have used this as an excuse for probable cause.

I bet 99% of the time it’s legit, but I personally know people who have not been drinking, had a cop “smell booze”, they’ve refused the breathalyzer in principle, arrested, had blood drawn and registered 0.00 BAC…and released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Google Chad Harden, Wichita Falls trooper. They ain’t all honest.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The issue with “I smell booze” or “I smell weed” is that unscrupulous cops have used this as an excuse for probable cause…

The bigger issue for me on that topic is the LEO’s presumed credibility as a witness during the trial phase. If the LEO is going to make that statement, uses it as PC, put it in a report, they damn sure better seize the evidence and have it tested so there is objective evidence to support the subjective observation.

Unfortunately, lacking that objective evidence does not generally result in a suppression of the subjective observation since it is presumed the LEO is a credible witness unless proven otherwise by the defense. Good luck with that.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Cops are people. People make mistakes, or have mistaken perceptions. The officer might have honestly thought she smelled alcohol even if it wasn't present and none was there.

I would not venture to the point of saying the officer is lying, but I might say her nose might have lied to her. It happens.

Ad if all tests come back proving that Mrs. West had not been consuming any alcohol, then it just possible the officer made a mistake.

If I'm not mistaken isn't the officer new to the force?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Chain of evidence protocols?
    That's just putting the vial in the right baggy.
    I'd bet they are running a "Hail Mary" desperate
    full toxin screen looking for anything.
    But that fine officer smelled booze in a cup. And that lie
    aint gonna fly.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    aint gonna fly.
    Knowing from all the random drug tests I have had to take over the years, there is very clear chain of evidence in the way the test samples are handled to insure that it's done correctly and fairly.

I would assume with this being a legal issue in the manner of proving or dispelling criminal behavior, that the chain of evidence is even stricter.

This is evidence that could be entered into evidence at a trial.

Hypothetical scenario: Even if Mrs. West were drunker than Cooter Brown, and a blood test was taken, which would prove that point, if that evidence is handled properly, a good defense attorney would have ruled as tainted evidence and have the judge throw it out, and the judge would do that.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    aint gonna fly.
    Biased much?. We all know your opinion of the officers actions, just to be sure why dont you post it a couple dozen more times.

Just sayin.

Top Bottom