• Occasionally

Votes: 41 41.0%

• Total voters

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012

No doubt. LE should be held.to a higher standard. However, based on the frequency LE handles firearms, the mistakes are extremely insignificant as a percentage.

My experience with stupidity with firearms is with the private citizen who think they know firearm safety and the basics of operating a firearm effectively.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My experience is that LEO are no more safe nor proficient with firearms than the general population of gun owners.

I guess our experiences have differed quite a bit.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Based on the shooting and safety performances I have witnessed over the years from private citizens, I would suggest they leave their firearm at home.

So you would rather they be disarmed victims?

Oh, I see what kind of dude you are.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No doubt. LE should be held.to a higher standard. However, based on the frequency LE handles firearms, the mistakes are extremely insignificant as a percentage.

My experience with stupidity with firearms is with the private citizen who think they know firearm safety and the basics of operating a firearm effectively.

Austin cops blew holes in their cop cars/launched rounds into the pavement negligently with shotguns either 2 or 3 times last Fall. That seems pretty significant to me.

The idea that you are proficient at something just because you do it a lot is not true. It also makes you overly confident or sloppy. Watch people "speed holster" for no damned reason. Great way to shoot yourself in the leg, which cops do too.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow! Where do you guys live and hang out that you think you need two guns to be safe? If two is good, why not three? I live in the sticks and have guns around the house and garage as well as one on me most of the time (not necessarily while I'm at the house). Let me ask an honest question, at what point would those of you who feel it necessary to carry multiple firearms, think maybe it's time to move?

That's poor logic. I'm very unlikely to NEED my gun at my local HEB, let alone two or three. So I should carry none?

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014

Maybe things are different in California, but in most places I know officers from, the usual gun handling consists of occasional(if any) required training and annual qualification. Most officers that I've spoken with explain that their peers are not "gun guys" and don't shoot outside of work, because they feel as though they are spending their money(which they are under paid to start with) to do something their work should be paying for. This same experience has been expressed to me by officers from a lot of different places and very well respected trainers(who train LE regularly, in addition to civilians).

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Maybe things are different in California, but in most places I know officers from, the usual gun handling consists of occasional(if any) required training and annual qualification. Most officers that I've spoken with explain that their peers are not "gun guys" and don't shoot outside of work, because they feel as though they are spending their money(which they are under paid to start with) to do something their work should be paying for. This same experience has been expressed to me by officers from a lot of different places and very well respected trainers(who train LE regularly, in addition to civilians).

Interesting post. I will leave it at that.

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX

Agreed,
    I have allot of respect for those who go into harms way for others....However a badge does not denote proficiency any more than a drivers license denotes experienced drivers. There are many who want LEO held to higher standards, I agree there as well, but that is going to take better funding in allot of cases. I guess what could be learned here is that credentials are not the end all be all of any trade or skill.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Interesting post. I will leave it at that.

Please don't. If you have a differing opinion I would love to hear it. This is a discussion forum, if you disagree, I'd like to discuss it and hear your experiences.

I am not a law enforcement officer, never have been one, the information I'm presenting was told to me by officers in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, etc. Additionally, it comes from discussions with Craig Douglas, who has trained over 5000 officers at the academy level and countless more via Shivworks classes. Finally, it comes from seeing local officers pass up on FREE spots to numerous local classes.

I know that budgets along the Gulf are pretty thin, but I'm completely unaware of California's. I do understand that finances ultimately control training and can see where this would lead to officers in some areas being more well trained than others.

Last edited:

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Agreed,
    I have allot of respect for those who go into harms way for others....However a badge does not denote proficiency any more than a drivers license denotes experienced drivers. There are many who want LEO held to higher standards, I agree there as well, but that is going to take better funding in allot of cases. I guess what could be learned here is that credentials are not the end all be all of any trade or skill.

Suffice it to say that in my 27 years of being a state trooper, and since retirement, working with DPS as a contract consultant in regards to DUI enforcement, my experience in the realm of firearms and tactics would reflect that LEOs generally, not absolutely, demonstrate greater proficiency with firearms than the average citizen, as it should be.

My opinion based on extensive experience, should in no way detract from my support of CC for the private citizen. I simply support a more effective training orientation prior to CC. It really is that simple.

As to funding and it's impact.on training, I say yes that phenomena exist but LEOs which are professional and concerned with their safety, have found a way to maintain their skill level. It is all about attitude.

Last edited:

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Suffice it to say that in my 27 years of being a state trooper, and since retirement, working with DPS as a contract consultant in regards to DUI enforcement, my experience in the realm of firearms and tactics would reflect that LEOs generally, not absolutely, demonstrate greater proficiency with firearms than the average citizen, as it should be.

My opinion based on extensive experience, should in no way detract from my support of CC for the private citizen. I simply support a more effective training orientation prior to CC. It really is that simple.

Can we discuss for a second what you mean by "average citizen"? If I am correct the average citizen has really only fired a firearm once every few years, if only a few times in their life. OD we mean average CHL holder perhaps?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

As to funding and it's impact.on training, I say yes that phenomena exist but LEOs which are professional and concerned with their safety, have found a way to maintain their skill level. It is all about attitude.

Going to try and say this deliberately so as to not go off topic or have TXI jump my case.

You support a more effective training program to increase safety. What does that look like? Who pays for it? And do you not see how opening that door can allow for unreasonable levels of training to be imposed to the point where people dont carry?

This being said, I think the average gun owner and concealed carriers especially should both train more and have more realistic views on their abilities and limitations.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Average CHL is what I meant since within context I was referring to CC (Conceal Carry).

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Going to try and say this deliberately so as to not go off topic or have TXI jump my case.

You support a more effective training program to increase safety. What does that look like? Who pays for it? And do you not see how opening that door can allow for unreasonable levels of training to be imposed to the point where people dont carry?

This being said, I think the average gun owner and concealed carriers especially should both train more and have more realistic views on their abilities and limitations.

Gun safety course and some basic pistol shooting certification either through the NRA, or some other effective sponsor, as prerequisite to the CHL class. The private citizen would be responsible for fees, as they are for the CHL class.

Fear of "opening the door" is an excuse to do nothing.

Such an endeavor would positively affect and promote more effective advocacy for open carry. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014

I agree entirely, really it is the same as anyone who carries a gun. Some realize the responsibility they've shouldered by carrying a gun every day and some haven't.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think people should be nicer...maybe we should make mandatory training for that. Several members on here can't seem to figure out where certain keys are on their keyboard...lets make mandatory training for that. At what point do we just abandon personal responsibility and legislate the crap out of people with mandatory trainings to force them to be as responsible and productive as we want them to be? Do you see my point? You can't force someone to take things seriously and approach things correctly. Even if you were to demand stricter training, there would still be those who ignore basic gun safety and shoot their foot off. I also agree with NOLA Jack that your viewpoint is fairly skewed. The state that you spent those 27 years in as a LEO probably has a lot to do with your current mindset.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom