Votes: 50 50.0%
    • Occasionally

Votes: 41 41.0%

• Total voters

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gun safety course and some basic pistol shooting certification either through the NRA, or some other effective sponsor, as prerequisite to the CHL class. The private citizen would be responsible for fees, as they are for the CHL class.

Fear of "opening the door" is an excuse to do nothing.

That is one of the unfortunate issues with firearms training, there is no legitimate certification or standard for instruction. Every yahoo with a beard is peddling his proprietary snake oil technique.
    Capitol Armory ad

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Gun safety course and some basic pistol shooting certification either through the NRA, or some other effective sponsor, as prerequisite to the CHL class. The private citizen would be responsible for fees, as they are for the CHL class.

Fear of "opening the door" is an excuse to do nothing.

Such an endeavor would positively affect and promote more effective advocacy for open carry. Just my opinion.

So what, you think that people should be forced to spend even more money to exercise their 2nd amendment right? Its not enough that we already have to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, a course and receive a license that we should not have to get...now we should spend hundreds more to even be able to do that?

I take several courses a year but that doesn't mean I think that they are necessary as long as people are maintaining their skills and practicing good safety habits. I was shooting for 16+ years before I got my CHL and am pretty sure I was already more than proficient enough to do so without any prerequisite.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    That is one of the unfortunate issues with firearms training, there is no legitimate certification or standard for instruction. Every yahoo with a beard is peddling his proprietary snake oil technique.

I disagree, and statements like yours I see as an excuse to do nothing.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    So what, you think that people should be forced to spend even more money to exercise their 2nd amendment right? Its not enough that we already have to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, a course and receive a license that we should not have to get...now we should spend hundreds more to even be able to do that?

I take several courses a year but that doesn't mean I think that they are necessary as long as people are maintaining their skills and practicing good safety habits. I was shooting for 16+ years before I got my CHL and am pretty sure I was already more than proficient enough to do so without any prerequisite.

Your stated proficiency is more the exception than the rule. Please think beyond yourself.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I think people should be nicer...maybe we should make mandatory training for that. Several members on here can't seem to figure out where certain keys are on their keyboard...lets make mandatory training for that. At what point do we just abandon personal responsibility and legislate the crap out of people with mandatory trainings to force them to be as responsible and productive as we want them to be? Do you see my point? You can't force someone to take things seriously and approach things correctly. Even if you were to demand stricter training, there would still be those who ignore basic gun safety and shoot their foot off. I also agree with NOLA Jack that your viewpoint is fairly skewed. The state that you spent those 27 years in as a LEO probably has a lot to do with your current mindset.

What is my current mindset? Are you upset because I appear not to be participating in "group think"?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Your stated proficiency is more the exception than the rule. Please think beyond yourself.

I disagree...I know quite a few people that fall under the same description. Who determines this level of proficiency? You? A handful of politicians with their "ghost guns"?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    There are many folks that need some training, and there are some that do it more than they need 'cause they like it. But, if the govt. (TX, Calif. Feds, etc.) are in charge of the training, it'll just be another govt. fiasco. Just my two bits.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014

I know this isn't addressed at me, but I'll chime in anyways. The real problem is the utter lack of checks on CHL instructors. Most give bad legal information, are horrible teachers, and are a joke in terms of shooting instruction.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know this isn't addressed at me, but I'll chime in anyways. The real problem is the utter lack of checks on CHL instructors. Most give bad legal information, are horrible teachers, and are a joke in terms of shooting instruction.

Most? Also...are they to give shooting instruction or deliver a course?

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    What is my current mindset? Are you upset because I appear not to be participating in "group think"?

No, if I had to judge him at only his words, he believes that you have succumb to an arrogance that (depending upon who you ask) can be common in LEO's. In my experience those that succumb to the "I am THE LAW" attitude would have been bad at any job they took, and their counterparts exist elsewhere in society.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I disagree, and statements like yours I see as an excuse to do nothing.

You're saying it is an excuse for me to do nothing? If so, you are wildly mistaken. Hell, I've done at least 200 hours of instruction in the last year, I just train with legitimate instructors.

The current situation reminds me of martial arts. Mcdojos preying on the uninformed, lying or misleading about resumes, and forgetting that their bad instruction may cost someone their life. There are real instructors out there, but it is certainly a case of buyer beware.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I'd be hard pressed to say "most" on any type of instructor without some hard numbers or ratings by TDPS. Anecdotal information does not make data. Just sayin'.

Most? Also...are they to give shooting instruction or deliver a course?

You're both right, I should have said that was in my experience and in the experience of others I have discussed this with. I don't see why they can't handle discussing applicable laws and giving basic instruction where needed, they've got all day.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You're both right, I should have said that was in my experience and in the experience of others I have discussed this with. I don't see why they can't handle discussing applicable laws and giving basic instruction where needed, they've got all day.

They've got half a day.

And it is not their job to teach proficiency, only to administer the test of proficiency.

Top Bottom