• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I guess we need some grizzly bears. I'm sick of all the bicycle riders with their "Lance Armstrong Starter Set" of bike and tights who think these streets are part of the Tour de France. Miles of bike trails here, but, no, they have to race through the streets slowing up traffic. The vast majority totally ignore traffic lights or signs. They're a PITA. Then, just to make things special, they hold a big race several times a year and completely screw up traffic all day on a Saturday. Yeah, I would pay to see a grizzly show up and take a few out for dinner.
    Venture Surplus ad

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    1625807825318.png

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The only safety issue when jackholes (not you txhillbilly, just relating my side) driving don't treat cyclists like legally entitled users of the road and try to pass in bad spots or something. Bicycles have been on roads since before cars were invented. I make sure to move over when I can and wave cars around. Lots of folks are scared to drive near cyclists and so won't pass when there is a safe place, clogging up the road for the cars behind, but I also will ride more left when it is a bad place to pass to discourage them so I don't have an oncoming car appear which makes the passing car swerve into me.

There are only so many roads and sometimes you dont have a good choice other than to ride a bad road to get somewhere good and safe to ride.

Stop signs are a case-by-case basis... but if there are other users, I stop and go predictably like any other road user should.

In my experience, real farmers and ranchers and country folk don't have a problem with cyclist on the roads they live on, its new comers and entitled people in an ungodly hurry that want to lump all cyclists into one sub-human road user group to look down on for doing the same thing car drivers do.

Even on a 2 lane road with no shoulder you should be able to pass safely if your driving skills are half-way reasonable. Give a safe distance, don't go by too fast and you're past them in a few seconds, no different that passing a tractor or combine or something...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

I agree that cyclists have the same rights to the road as any other vehicle. But in all fairness, I have to wonder just how many of then actually know that they are required to obey the rules of the road as well.

My point is, if a cyclist wants to be respected for his right to use the same roads as motor vehicles, then shouldn't they be expected to follow the rules of the road as well?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I guess we need some grizzly bears. I'm sick of all the bicycle riders with their "Lance Armstrong Starter Set" of bike and tights who think these streets are part of the Tour de France. Miles of bike trails here, but, no, they have to race through the streets slowing up traffic. The vast majority totally ignore traffic lights or signs. They're a PITA. Then, just to make things special, they hold a big race several times a year and completely screw up traffic all day on a Saturday. Yeah, I would pay to see a grizzly show up and take a few out for dinner.
    Where are you in Texas that has miles of bike trails? Houston is the only place I can think of, but they don’t actually go anywhere.
    Honestly, the amount of vitriol that some of y’all spew about cyclists sounds a lot like the anti gun pukes condemning the 99.9999% of gun owners that did not commit a murder today because of the .0001% that did.
    I wish more cities in Texas were set up like Lincoln, Nebraska in the way of bike trails.
    There is a system of paved trails that will take you almost anywhere in the city as well as a pretty good chunk of the state, as opposed to a couple of dedicated path/trails and a 3 mile track that you have to drive to to ride on( Austin).

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Honestly, the amount of vitriol that some of y’all spew about cyclists sounds a lot like the anti gun pukes condemning the 99.9999% of gun owners that did not commit a murder today because of the .0001% that did.
    Brookshire, Pattison, Monaville FM 359 and 529; the ratio is more like 50/50. It really is pretty bad there on the weekends; the bicycle and motorcycle and hotrod/exotic car traffic + local farmers/ranchers moving equipment, livestock and hay it's wild-wild west some days.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Not funny.

Several years after that crash I built a custom frame for one of the survivors who had significant, permanent disabilities.

I've had more friends killed riding bicycles than I care to sit and count because there are some people I really miss... but not one of them was killed because they were being a jerk or even riding somewhere that was "dangerous" except for the selfish actions of someone else.

Missy Hardeman- killed by a careless driver who struck her from behind because "the sun was in my eyes" and didn't slow to drive to the conditions. I had ridden with Missy a lot and she was a good friend.

Verter- had built him a custom bike a year or so before. Was killed by a driver doing about 60mph up the shoulder to illegally pass stopped traffic on loop-360 and hit Verter from behind killing him

Wayne B- killed by drunk driver in 1997 forgot the details.

Tommy Ketterhagen- hit from behind by a drunk driver and killed. The driver got out, looked at Tommy then drove off. I race with Tommy a lot locally. The photo is his memorial 2300 Patriot Way in Hutto. Notice the wide shoulder...

These guys were my friends and weren't doing anything unsafe except for the careless, reckless, selfish and illegal actions of others.

This kind of rhetoric excuses, normalizes and even encourages illegal, harmful, hurtful and dangerous actions towards a group because of the actions or perceived actions of an individual and is just disgusting (and sure doesn't seem to jive with you having a bible verse on your profile...). You posting that pic is about as sad as hearing antifa screaming at me they wish Micah Johnson had been able to kill more police in Dallas.

7b2bc8acd615395ef94e6e1b5668cb74.jpg

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not funny.

Several years after that crash I built a custom frame for one of the survivors who had significant, permanent disabilities.

I've had more friends killed riding bicycles than I care to sit and count because there are some people I really miss... but not one of them was killed because they were being a jerk or even riding somewhere that was "dangerous" except for the selfish actions of someone else.

Missy Hardeman- killed by a careless driver who struck her from behind because "the sun was in my eyes" and didn't slow to drive to the conditions. I had ridden with Missy a lot and she was a good friend.

Verter- had built him a custom bike a year or so before. Was killed by a driver doing about 60mph up the shoulder to illegally pass stopped traffic on loop-360 and hit Verter from behind killing him

Tommy Ketterhagen- hit from behind by a drunk driver and killed. The driver got out, looked at Tommy then drove off. I race with Tommy a lot locally. The photo is his memorial 2300 Patriot Way in Hutto. Notice the wide shoulder...

These guys were my friends and weren't doing anything unsafe except for the careless, reckless, selfish and illegal actions of others.

This kind of rhetoric excuses, normalizes and even encourages illegal, harmful, hurtful and dangerous actions towards a group because of the actions or perceived actions of an individual and is just disgusting (and sure doesn't seem to jive with you having a bible verse on your profile...). You posting that pic is about as sad as hearing antifa screaming at me they wish Micah Johnson had been able to kill more police in Dallas.

1625836838143.png

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not funny.

Back in the early 2000’s one of my clients was killed riding on Hillcrest Rd in Dallas. He was 36, an experienced rider, a well respected member of the community, an owner of a successful business, and a good dude.

I’ve been paranoid about riding on public streets since.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom