• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sushi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Been working on my BOV since we left Colorado. 98' Jeep XJ. Long arm suspension. 35's. Figure if I cant drive over it, I can drive around it. Has an aux fuel cell in the rear that holds an additional 15gallons. On-board air compressor. The color is not ideal, but if the SHTF, it'll be rattle canned another color.

20140719_164636_resized_zps397abd89.jpg
    20140719_165827_resized_zpscea1d285.jpg

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    So, all those of you bugging out, how do you propose to handle the snipers on every overpass that want to kill you and steal your shit?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He's heading for an overpass. Just trying to figure out y'all's weak spots.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So, all those of you bugging out, how do you propose to handle the snipers on every overpass that want to kill you and steal your shit?

if there are snipers on the route to your BOL you have made a series of poor choices.

Chose a bad route to your BOL
    Waited too long after SHTF to bug out
    who carries shit with them in their BOV?, mine will have supplies :green:
    The idea is to bug out before or while the snipers are still sitting at home or looting the stores and have not become desperate enough to start sniping from overpasses.

by the time it gets to that point, you need to be at your BOL or have your Bug In plan in effect.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    From most of what I've read, snipers certainly seem to be part of most SHTF situations.

I dont really understand why though as the sniper counter sniper game is a good way to get dead. Im really not interested in exchanging fire with anyone if at all avoidable and in a counter sniper situation the last thing I want to do is go static and trade rounds. Better to maneuver into a position with cover and egress or find a way to flank the sniper.

As far as the main roads go...I wouldn't count on them being usable at all. Count on checkpoints and road blocks.

Im increasingly a believer of bugging in with bugging out as a last ditch effort unless as vmax said, you can get the jump on everyone trying to leave too.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    if you don't have a destination with resources planned out, why would you bug out?
    I can understand fleeing for you life if you house was raided but other than that I think a lot of people have an idea about bugging out but not a clue as to where they would go

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    He's heading for an overpass. Just trying to figure out y'all's weak spots.

SHHHHHHHH!

You're giving away my food and fuel replenishment plan!

A little tip for buggers-out, avoid 35E through Denton, I'd hate to shoot a fellow TGTer. ;>)

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    if there are snipers on the route to your BOL you have made a series of poor choices.

Chose a bad route to your BOL
    Waited too long after SHTF to bug out
    who carries shit with them in their BOV?, mine will have supplies :green:
    The idea is to bug out before or while the snipers are still sitting at home or looting the stores and have not become desperate enough to start sniping from overpasses.

by the time it gets to that point, you need to be at your BOL or have your Bug In plan in effect.

VMax is right. If you're going to bug out, do it early in the event. It will only be a matter of days before those unprepared will be desperate enough for food and water to start shooting.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I spent several years running Army maintenance units and the old 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks are real off road monsters. We used to try and get them stuck to practice recovery drills and very rarely managed to get them stuck well enough that they couldn't self-recover. (Especially if they had a winch.) They do require a lot of maintenance hours, but they're not very complicated mechanically so I think it's well suited to DIY mechanics. There's a certain beauty to ugly old trucks that you can fix without a computer. I don't own one myself but I understand why people do.
    Got to agree there. I have a couple of tours as a S-4 (Logistics officer) which means I also own the motor pool as well. The old 2.5 is a great vehicle, requires maintenance, but rarely lets you down. Once a month I used to take a week long trip thru Germany. I usually had anywhere between 12 and 20 2.5's with me. We would head out of Graf and pick up supplies. As each truck got a load they dropped off and highballed back to Graf. Never had a breakdown.

The surplus ones you buy generally need to be rebuilt as they are past their prime which is why they are moved on.

They are true offroad rigs and about the only thing that stops them is treed areas they cannot drive thru due to width, but a chainsaw fixes that. The other thing is 'waterfalls' or ledges due to the long wheelbase and front end overhang.

But if you are looking for a BOV and do not need to haul 2.5 Tons (FYI: the 2.5 rating is given based upon its ability to travel offroad, hauling 2.5 Tons at a average speed of 15 mph).

Other than that get a Jeep or a Toyota. Jeep has the advantage of parts availability (FYI: They have been making Jeeps since '41 and all parts are still available for it, no one else can say that)

That parts thing can BITE and BITE HARD. On one of my trips down to the Sea of Cortez we came across a MOOG sitting there by itself. As we drove over a guy came out of a tent. We stopped to see if he was broke or needed some help as we were in the middle of nowhere Mexico, Southern part of the Sonoran desert. Well broke he was, but he had help. Forgot exactly what failed, but he was in some S California MOOG club and they had taken off for a couple of weeks of Mexico wheeling. They all had to go back to work except one guy and he headed out to find the part...NOT to be had in the US, so he was sitting in Tucson at a motel waiting on a fedx to bring a small and cheap part. Was gonna cost him another 2 weeks to get get, install and drive back to S Ca. NOT HAPPY guy missing a month from work.

In my years of offroad since the early 60's more than once I have come across this scenario. 2 of my offroad buddies had to leave there Jeep and a Toyota 'out there'. In fact they are still out there to this day. By the time they got back to the vehicle it had been stripped bare.

I try to approach offroading as in serious get out there with can I buy parts at the local AutoZone or NAPA store. If not do I really need to make that mod....suggest you look hard and what you build or buy or you can find yourself with a hard decision: Do I leave it here and pray its not stripped when I get back or do I send my spouses or friend into town to call boss and tell him I won't be back from vaca for another week while we wait on fedx parts....

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If it walks, crawls, flys or swims,,,,,,,
    It's called meat.
    Mule works too. Gait is generally rougher than a horse though. From what I understand, a lot of indians prefered it to beef. Apaches preferred to eat horse. Not sure if it is true, but would not surprise me.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Top Bottom