Patriot Mobile

Building an AK vs buying an AK. Educate me please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can buy a receiver at 18. Nodak Spud is what all of my builds have been based on. I've got another SBR build about to start. If you feel like blowing a Saturday up in DFW, you can use my shop and AK tools to do it.

21 for a bare receiver or frame.

Yup. I forgot to mention those. You also need a drill and d/bits to make all holes. On the receiver.

I had the impression that reamers were preferred for the trigger pin holes to make sure they're round.

Don't forget some way to heat treat the receiver. Mapp torch and a steel salad bowl filled with synthetic motor oil works Ok for spot-hardening.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    In the end, would it be cheaper to convert a saiga or just get an AK from atlantic or J&G? I'd think the Saiga would be better quality though.

Let me make a parts list of what I need. Any suggestions to where I can order them from?

And where can I get a saiga for cheap? I see them for sale for $375 and such. Then finally... 5.45 vs 7.62 LOL

These guys are charging high!

7.62- $375

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct708.aspx

5.45- $350

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct796.aspx

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Oh, and buy. Best way to do it. I've got a beat up Romanian stock kit I'll send you if you ask nice.

So I should just buy an already assembled AK? And may I please have the beat up Romanian stock?? :)

2408100.png

How much?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Thanks to everyone who has been helping me out, by the way. It's GREATLY appreciated, and I'm not just saying that. I suck when it comes to making decisions and can get a little annoying and ask too many questions, so thanks for bearing with me!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    You can make them for $300 each plus shipping now that you have the parts.

All for yourself, not to sell, btw. I'd take advantage of that and make one a month LOL.

But POST THOSE PICS MAN!

destroyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    peñitas
    You can make them for $300 each plus shipping now that you have the parts.

All for yourself, not to sell, btw. I'd take advantage of that and make one a month LOL.

But POST THOSE PICS MAN!
    I can e-mail you the pics and you can post them up for everyone to see :)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sorry I'm not semi naked, sliding across the screen but I'm not photogenic, just an AK lover....Mine is one of those WASRs that a lot of people slam but it is set up like I like it and that is with an inexpensive Tapco AR type shoulder stock and a Mojo Peep-aperature type rear sight and it looks good, it hits where aimed and originally set me back $500 from a pawn shop....I have observed no rust in the chrome chamber and like chrome bore...And it isn't a closet queen, and it puts lots of holes in the rusty, discarded propane tank we call abdul ! Too bad we have to play Cowboy rather than be a real one !

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I used to have a WASR. The one thing I didn't like about it was that there was no dimple on the receiver by the mag well lol.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom