DK Firearms

Building an AK vs buying an AK. Educate me please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Dimples are for rigidity of the receiver, and that is even questionable on how much it helps.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

I like it more for looks than it's actual use.

And btw, I bought 2 romanian parts kits with new US barrels from ClassicArms.US, if anyone was wondering. I will be "assembling" them.

Accessories
    Venture Surplus ad

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    Does green mountain suck? I have heard it does. We will find out. i don't even know if it is one or not tho.

IIRC the original 545x39 barrels were made wrong and produced a lot of keyholding due to being chambered wrong.

As for as the 762x39, not sure. I know they make great 22lr barrels though!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Isn't that century arms' fault though? I've been reading and have read nothing bad about them. All good. And those tantalum barrels were chambered in 5.56, not 5.45

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Green mountain is hit or miss. They hardly use correct twist rates, hardly ever chrome lined, and I've heard a few of them get out without the ejector notch cut. The 5.45 barrel thing was the bore diameter was for 5.56 and the chamber was 5.45 I think is was only on the tantals and for a long time century refused to fix it. Sadly green mountain is one of the few U.S. am barrel manufacturers.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    Green mountain is hit or miss. They hardly use correct twist rates, hardly ever chrome lined, and I've heard a few of them get out without the ejector notch cut. The 5.45 barrel thing was the bore diameter was for 5.56 and the chamber was 5.45 I think is was only on the tantals and for a long time century refused to fix it. Sadly green mountain is one of the few U.S. am barrel manufacturers.

He put it best.

If possible, I'd cancel it, and check whatacountry or apex for a barrled kit personally. Or get registered over on AK files and watch the classifieds.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Either apex or center fire systems I can't remember which one has original rpk barrels for $50 a piece right now. An rpk will be my next investment.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I still have yet to read any negative comments on any websites, including m4carbine or the like. Where did you hear or experience these negative things?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    After looking at some stuff it looks like green mountain revamped there ak barrels. Back when the barrel ban first took effect they were 1:11 twist and not chrome lined now they list the correct 1:9.5 twist and chrome lined barrel. Try them and see they could be better than the first gen barrels.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Yep. I can't wait to have an AK again, especially an authentic one that I can say I built... woops I meant assembled
    rolleyes.gif

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    IMO you build or rebuild an AK because you don't use normal everyday tools and there's much more involved in the process assemble is something you do to an AR. Just me though.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    **** it, I AM building this shit lol. Just because I don't knock the edges of a flat piece of metal doesn't mean I'm not building it haha.

And by the way, it isn't confirmed that the barrel is green mountain.

Top Bottom