• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You claim my ignorance while you treat a law abiding citizen as a criminal.

You have the nerve to say I don't have pride in my service.

You claim you can use experience in a combat zone and apply it to what should be no more than a few simple questions to someone who has not, and is showing no signs of attempting to break any laws.

I've been called lesser things by people and been bothered more by it than your claim of my ignorance.

Just because you can get away with treating the citizens who pay your salary like crap while they are doing something that is completely legal simply because they may not have the financial means to fight it does not make it right.

You have seem to think you are above us lowly citizens, problem is that is the exact opposite opinion you should have.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I appreciate the questions winchester, but too many here are just using this as an opportunity to act silly. I'm not sure anything I say will change anybody's mind. How would you handle your situational questions as apolice officer? I seem to have been answering all of the questions here lately.

Since I am not a LEO, it's all hypothetical. However, I would like to believe that given the scenario my response would be something along these lines.

Roll up on the MSGT and his son. "Hi, Deputy Old Timer from __ __ Sheriff's Department, can I talk to you for a minute?"

MSGT, "Sure. What's up?"

Me, "We got a 911 call about a man with a gun. Is this your son?

MSGT, "Yes. We are on a hike to finish his qualifications for Eagle Scout."

Me, "Great! I was an Eagle Scout a long time ago! What's the rifle for?"

MSGT, "As I am sure you are aware we have a wild boar problem here, so the rifle is to protect myself and my son."

Me. "Yes, a car hit one on the road east of here last night. Totaled the car. Stay alert, and stay safe. Have a nice day."

Get in car, radio "10-8, unfounded."

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Burt, considering your many detailed responses to this forum and the lack of respect you seem to have for citizens and apparant lack of understanding of case law I highly suggest you surrender all your firearms and get a job as a Wal Mart mobile security guard. I wouldn't trust you in a LEO position at all. Your acting like you're in a combat theater is, as stated by others, disturbing.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I think any vet who tries to act like they are above another vet really shows poor character. Everyone had their own path in the service, and being in the military isn't just about seeing how many talibani or commies you can pick off in a tour. I served with a group that wasn't a combat group but still has plenty of respect from other branches as well as countries, but you won't hear me gloat about it much. Everyone has their glory days in the military-even if its not from what you see in the movies. To try and say you have more pride than another service member...I don't talk much about what I did. I've got my tattoo, medals, and memories. I don't need anyones attention. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with younggun a few times and I get the feeling that he's the same way in not needing attention or validation from others for what he's done.

As far as how Burt would go about approaching a guy who is just walking down the street with a rifle slung....officers like that are why guys like me just prefer to keep my distance from officers on duty. It's pretty sad when even a law abiding citizen or a well intentioned citizen who may not be as knowledgeable with the law as they think they are, has to be worried about the very people who are hired to protect us and our rights. The ones out here in the country don't seem as bad but the ones in the higher pop areas always seem to be pissed at the world or expecting every stop to make it on the next episode of COPS. I honestly don't see why its so hard just to walk up to a guy who is walking with his rifle exposed, and start up a friendly chat. If you wanna carry your rifle so you feel safer, then go ahead-just give us the same respect you would like and don't point that loaded weapon at us while chatting with us. Keep your weapon at the same level as the citizen has theirs. Hell, if you need to keep your hand on the grip while you talk, cool. But keep things calm until you find reason to believe we are commiting a crime. If you want to feel safe about us holding our gun, then ask that the mag be removed and the citizen put it in their pocket and clear the chamber for you to see. I'm sure that mentality would go over way better with citizens than rushing up with guns at the ready and yelling at them until you sort things out.

However, even though I don't agree with officers like Burt, I still respect what y'all do and hope the best for y'all every time I pass one on a call.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Burt Gummer said:
    we all don't have pride in our service like I do.

Burt Gummer said:
    I was calling him out as a vet.

I was able to see the differing viewpoints in this thread and have a pretty balanced sense of respect for each side's opinions....until these comments were made. Cops don't like the stereotyping they get, but the "holier than thou" shit you're pulling only adds to it.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Technically legal but you might as well wear a big sign that says "Hey Police stop me because I might potentially try to do people harm"

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The sad thing about this topic is, years ago [and I mean years ago] when I was a teenager a person could carry a rifle or shotgun in their truck's back window or on their person and hardly anyone cared. Today, you become an instant "criminal" for just owning a firearm. It is a shame that times have changed so drastically in just 50 years. where is John Wayne or Teddy Roosevelt when we need them.

I received an email yesterday concerning Patriotism.
    Franklin Roosevelt is credited with saying:
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Think that's the 14th time that vid has been posted on this forum, lol.

No kidding. It's like Ground Hog day around here with these threads. People don't bother to read the thing and see what has or hasn't been posted before. New folks join the conversation and we talk about the same thing all over again lol.

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    No kidding. It's like Ground Hog day around here with these threads. People don't bother to read the thing and see what has or hasn't been posted before. New folks join the conversation and we talk about the same thing all over again lol.

You're right. I should have read every thread in every forum to make sure it hadn't been posted before. Silly me I only looked through this thread. Next time I'll do my due dilligence or maybe just send you my post and have you clear it. :p

Top Bottom