Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I'm in for 1.
    Athens isn't too far of a drive.
    I am game for the lottery system.
    Would the unboxing be on a Saturday?
    Also, I would be driving through DFW on I20 if anyone wanted to carpool.
    Hurley's Gold

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    So it seems like distance has killed this project. Thanks everyone for trying so hard to help out. Maybe if I ever see the crates for cheaper I'll bring the subject back to life.

How many would it take to make this happen? I couldn't keep track in the thread of how many actual takers there were.

I'd be in for at least one, and I'm in the Austin area. I only noticed this thread today.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'd be able to keep 5, so I'd need for 15 rifles to get spoken for. I'm not sure how many are still spoken for. A lot of people backed out and some haven't said if they changed their minds. I spoke to th apparently they have plenty crates still so I'll keep this thread going and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I have not completely eliminated the notion... (Saturday, lottery, carpool, non-smoker, 200rds ammo)

1. Hellishhorses (1)
    2. MR2Aaron (1)
    3. ArmyZach (1)

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If the deal breaker for everyone is having to visit the FFL dude in Athens, could we not just pay him a few bucks more apiece, and get him to meet all of us at a more central location?

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    If the deal breaker for everyone is having to visit the FFL dude in Athens, could we not just pay him a few bucks more apiece, and get him to meet all of us at a more central location?

I personally would not have a problem with that but BATFE regs state that the transfer has I occur at my place of business.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If any of the rifles in the crate turn out to be unusable, who is gonna eat that cost? The last crate of Mosins i was involved with had at least two rifles that were unshootable and relegated to parts/scrap due to extensive barrel corrosion.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I would. They aren't unusable to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I can't tell if you're understanding my question or not. You're fronting the money for the 20 rifles which will cost you $2600. Let's say there are two rifles in the crate that are unusable. Are you then going to absorb the cost of 7 rifles (the 5 you originally wanted plus the 2 that are unusable), and everyone else's cost per rifle stays the same?

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The only way I'd have to "absorb the cost" is if more than 15 rifles were spoken for, which seems like wishful thinking at this point. Each one as I said in and earlier post is working out to $148.90. I assumed that there would be some less than perfect ones, I just wanted one choice one and I'd take any "leftovers". I was hoping for the sake of my finances that I would keep five or less. I guess, if too many people wanted them we'd have to cut off some people who just spoke up too late, but like I said that doesn't seem to be the problem we are having.

I think that answers the question.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I don't think there are too many people that would take the kind of risk you'd be taking (if you had 15 buyers lined up).

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello again. It seems that it is kind of hard to tell where the group is landing on this. A lot of people seem to be dropping out because of the distance. I am hoping I can get a few definite "I'm on board" responses if I can. To sum up everything, we are trying to get enough people interested to buy a crate of 20 Mosin Nagants. I am willing to put up the money, but I need at least 12-15 rifles to be spoken for to be able to afford it. Basically it works out to $149 a rifle. If you don't know anything about these crates they were packed sometime in the 1970s and have been unopened since. They contain the basic M91/30 Mosin Nagant as well as bayonets. It seems things like slings and other accessories may be in the box as well, or they might not be, or the box could be full of more accessories than the rifles in the crate need. There is no real guarantee which way it will go. Some rifles will undoubtedly have some damage, but I will gladly take them so all participants will get equal shot at an undamaged rifle. Sill, I would recommend checking all rifles after cleaning, including headspace. These rifles are being ordered through an FFL in Athens, TX. The price per rifle includes this FFL's fees, but if you cannot pick it up in person and need it shipped those rates and your local FFL's fee will apply.

I live in Austin, and I am willing to carpool as many people as I can carry (4 people) with me when I pick them up.

So far we originally had 10 interested persons, but as I said many had to back out as details developed. Some of the original people still have not spoken as to wether or not they are interested, and a few new people have also voiced a desire for a rifle. Here are the names of everyone so far

bcannon87
    Leper
    jcrntx
    txinvestigator
    ArmyZach
    MR2Aaron

If you live in Austin and are on the fence because you can't make it to Athens, PM me. We may be able to work something out.

Thank you all who have been following this thread and supporting me and helping me with the legal issues as well as trying to get this to happen.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just to note, at Saturday's SAXET show in San Antonio the average price of a plain-Jane 91/30 was over $200. I find that shocking, but it doubles the value of my half of my Mosin collection so I'm not complaining!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Can we perhaps find an FFL somewhere closer to the Austin/Houston area, since most of us that are interested seem to be in this general area? Anyone asked one of the sponsors who are FFL's?

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Can we perhaps find an FFL somewhere closer to the Austin/Houston area, since most of us that are interested seem to be in this general area? Anyone asked one of the sponsors who are FFL's?

There has been some response from other board members, but unfortunately, not anyone in Austin.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well, it seems like this isn't gaining any traction and I am thinking of buying an M1 so I will no longer have the money for it.

Thank you all for giving it a try. If I see another one somewhere in the future maybe I'll give this another try, now that I know what I needs to happen.

Top Bottom