Lynx Defense

Does anyone make a weedeater that will last more than a year??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Theres a product for fuel storage that the preppers use. It's called PRI-G for gas motors & PRI-D for diesel. Ive used it in my boat for the last 2 years & no issues starting if it's been sitting for 5 months with fuel in the carbs. Running the carbs dry & using fresh gas makes a difference too when you got to fire it up next use. I have a buddy that's a motorcycle mechanic & he says if gas is older than 2 weeks its "old".

I learned about it from a guy I was looking to buy his boat. He said his in laws use it on everything from mowers to diesel tractors.

Last edited:

SofAustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    I have owned a Stihl for about 12 years. Abused it in so many ways. Busted the drive shaft (my fault), replaced the carburetor twice (15 bucks each time) and it stihl sings!! Easy to fix, easy to crank, well engineered. I also have a Stihl chainsaw...for about 15 years. Same story...it just works. I abuse it too but have yet to do anything but replace the fuel line.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have an Echo that is on year 3. I only use the canned gas they sell at Home Depot, usually the Stihl.

At the end of each season I empty the tank and run the gas out of the lines.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I have a 28cc echo PAS with the line trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, and blower attachments.

5 year consumer warranty.

Had the carb replaced after my neighbor used it and it wouldn't start. he was a major dummy so I attribute it to him.

Just got it out of warranty work again, minor issue with the attachment locking system that failed, the edger walked out and destroyed the shaft. Come to think of it, neighbor fucked the locking system on that as well.

Long story short, it's a good product as long as you don't loan it to your dumb as rocks neighbor.

I use 91 octane treated with B3C Ethanol Shield. Grab all you can when Walmart puts it on clearance at the end of summer. I have never winterized any of my engines and they start right up in the spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Couple of notes...

First, to build on what rman (and others) have said, Ethanol is your ENEMY. It destroys the seals and o-rings in the carb. If your out in the country then you may have access to ethanol free fuel. Also a majority of "wholesale bulk" fuel is ethanol free. You city guys are stuck. All stations have ethanol. Only choice is to buy the fuel on the shelf at the local "Wallys" (as mentioned) and stock up when its cheap. Additives, stabilizers etc. can help.

EDIT: There ARE exceptions to being able to find ethanol free gas at the station, just that they are few and far between.

Second, for the guys who have the older gas unit. These motors have a small screen in the muffler (like window screen) that will clog up with debris and carbon over time and when it does your weedeater will start bogging and cutting up. A screwdiver point will make quick work of one of these.

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Sounds like he's now past tense.
    I moved. He's still dumber than a bag of rocks, but I don't have to pretend to think he's normal anymore.

Wife is still friends with him and his wife on FB. Wife went from normal, to numbingly obnoxious. Typical Social Media MLM "buy my health supplements to cure you of death and become rich" situation.

I forget which gas stations carry non-ethanol fuel. A lot more common in OK.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Our fleet at the college runs all Cefco unleaded gas with Lucas 2-cycle mix. No problems. Mine at home don't get run as often, so I run Premium HEB or Stripes with regular 2-Cycle mix. I'm too cheap for those metal cans of gas.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've also found adding Seafoam to my gas can keeps it long term. Even had some gas that had sat for a while and after putting in in my Deere riding mower it started to bog down. Added some Seafoam and after a few try's it fired up and ran like a champ.
    That mechanic in a bottle works great too!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Speaking of gas cans, what do you guys use?

I use 5-gallon “utility jugs” - don’t call it a gas can!

05e92e2df3f3f33f73276cea53ef2265.jpg

Those EPA certified gas containers are garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Couple of notes...

Second, for the guys who have the older gas unit. These motors have a small screen in the muffler (like window screen) that will clog up with debris and carbon over time and when it does your weedeater will start bogging and cutting up. A screwdiver point will make quick work of one of these.
    That's the spark arrestor screen, and newer Echos still run them. If they upset you that much, you remove it pretty easy. I don't know about the Stihls though.

Top Bottom