ARJ Defense ad

Does anyone make a weedeater that will last more than a year??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The plastic cans are garbage. Get metal cans.

Tractor Supply or similar carry them.

OSHA approved because safety and crap.

Been using these for over a decade without issue. Metal cans get hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    DK Firearms

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Speaking of gas cans, what do you guys use?

I use 5-gallon “utility jugs” - don’t call it a gas can!

View attachment 147617

Those EPA certified gas containers are garbage.

I just got one for the maintenance shop. I love the capacity, but it can get cumbersome trying to navigate that long neck without spilling fuel at times. I've never seen anyone use em, so I gotta figure out the little tricks on my own. So far, I just point the hose to the fuel tank before flipping the fuel can. A little weird, but once I'm going with fuel, it pours a hell of a lot faster than the regular cans and has fewer fill ups of my gas can.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I need to get my grandfathers old metal cans I miss those but who knows where they are after all these years. I recently got a new 5 gallon plastic one to replace my 2 year old plastic one that already leaks and sucks.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Speaking of gas cans, what do you guys use?

I use 5-gallon “utility jugs” - don’t call it a gas can!

View attachment 147617

Those EPA certified gas containers are garbage.

I use one of the newer style gallon plastic cans. The spout, which sucks ass, broke after a year or less. So I got this repair kit from TSC and it works freaking awesome!
    ec1c547834e9d0bcebf2f9da8493e634.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Can't seem to find a weedeater that will run for more than a year (a day past the warranty).

Any weedeater brand suggestions out there?
    I'm still using the Shindaewa I bought for my son to weed whack cemeteries 15 years ago. A guy who cut grass at cemetery hired the weed whacking and paid more if you used your own equipment. Those are the kind he used, so that is what we bought. I son used that thing all summer LONG for 3 summers and I've used it around 15 acres to trim ever since. Just had it out a week ago. I put a saw blade on it and trim branches with it to.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My Dad has a Shindiawa that is over 20 years old. It’s all I ever used growing up. It also saw use at My Great Aunts House, as we mowed her place too. My Dad and his buddy both went and bought one the same day, and they are both still going.
    My Dad has retired his, as after 20 years, he said it deserved a break.
    FWIW, I hear they don’t make em like that anymore.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I'm still using the Shindaewa I bought for my son to weed whack cemeteries 15 years ago. A guy who cut grass at cemetery hired the weed whacking and paid more if you used your own equipment. Those are the kind he used, so that is what we bought. I son used that thing all summer LONG for 3 summers and I've used it around 15 acres to trim ever since. Just had it out a week ago. I put a saw blade on it and trim branches with it to.

A saw blade on a weedwhacker?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had two Echo trimmers that lasted between 10-15 years. My elbow has arthritis and it hurts to pull start those. They started leaking fuel, so I gave them both to my neighbor. He replaced the fuel lines and is still using them.

Replaced them with a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke trimmer that uses a rechargeable electric starter to crank it over. It's heavy, but it's a monster trimmer. I use a shoulder harness to carry it.

I also gave away my Echo blower. It was in good shape but that same elbow had problems starting it. I replaced it with a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke blower that uses the same electric start appliance.

On the Texas Gulf coast, lawn tools are top priority! If one fails to do the job well, I replace it immediately!

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I forgot…..gas cans!

I wasted a pile of money on plastic gas cans for the mowers and tractors. I replaced them with industrial metal safety cans @ about $50 apiece but they are the last gas cans that I'll need. When a storm enters the Gulf, I fill all three with fuel for the generators.

Those cans are a vital part of hurricane preparation around the Gulf Coast. When a storm comes and the power goes off, you couldn't buy fuel at any price.

Flash

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Should have seen me struggling with the new style gas can to put a couple of gallons into my wife's truck that requires a special funnel. I swear to God I spilled as much on the ground as I got into the truck.

I need one of those gas spout kits.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've seen the metal ones with the flap over the spout at a few stores....maybe Tractor Supply?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Tractor Supply. Some auto parts stores. Rental companies and safety equipment stores.

Bought one at Menard's too (not that that is convenient to most people on here).

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    technically they are for repairing old gas cans. I'm sure an EPA cronie will knock in your door the minute you retrofit your new can with one.
    Good to know. I bought one but haven't installed it yet.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    technically they are for repairing old gas cans. I'm sure an EPA cronie will knock in your door the minute you retrofit your new can with one.

Just like the magazine "kits" were for repairing old magazines too.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yep. Hate that thing and when it goes bad, a pricey fix compared to buying a new gas cap.
    I drilled a hole in the male protrusion (that is supposed to keep the fuel door shut but it wears out). Threaded copper wire thru the hole to make the fit snug again. Damn this is hard to explain - maybe a picture later.

Top Bottom