Join TexasGunTalk

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by HKShooter65, Jul 12, 2019.

1. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Yep....top of the line phones are nuts too. That's 4-5X what I've ever spent on one, but I buy my phones like I buy my cars......couple years/generations old and drive/use them as long as I can, then sell them to minimize the cost of what is ultimately a depreciating asset.

And to your (assumed) point, of course the most expensive electric vehicles range from $300K to over $1M. So you can see why your comparison with even a $1,500 phone and tossing them aside after a few years was a poor one unless you literally have money to burn.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The back of that truck is going up until the towbar is straight. That will unload the rear tires. As to whether or not it's enough, don't know. I guess not.

3. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Huh?

Those "countless videos" are pretty rare!
    Find me some.

Generally you have to enter the realm of million dollar exotic supercars to have a shot at beating a Tesla off the line or at 1/4 mile.

Here is one where the Tesla absolutely crushes a BMW M5, Porsche Panamera Turbo and a Mercedes AMG GT63s.
    Those are some serious performance cars.

Even the little diminutive Tesla 3 absolutely smear a Dodge Hellcat with it's obnoxious noisy smelly fossil of an engine!!!

:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

BTW the Tesla Roadster that is soon to start arriving is to be about as fast as a Formula 1 open wheel race car.
    And has 4 seats to silently take the kids to Sonic after school.
    A buddy has one on order. I can't wait...

Dad_Roman likes this.
  5. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    There's a kid with a YouTube channel, he drag races his P100d (lightly modified, weight reduction, tires, etc.). He gives a very fair shake at what's possible and posts good videos. There's a lot of him beating a lot of fast cars as expected, a lighter weight P100d moves well, but it does show exactly what I'm talking about. In many, many of the races - and he races primarily 1/8th mile too - but you can see the gas engine cars running him down at the end.

This video clearly shows the difference, even though the Demon driver did give him a 4 tenth head start. Must have needed to finish his sandwich first. The Demon is clearly the faster car, but as you'll notice the Tesla runs the first half of the track fast, and then falls a little flat as the fat cat quickly closes the gap.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    HKShooter65 likes this.
  7. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Make reasonable sense.

Things generally true:
    1. None of us like taxes. Particularly new taxes.
    2. All of us like good roads to drive on.
    3. Taxes are most acceptable when everyone pays their fair share.

If we imaginarily fast forward to the future where 50% of Americans drive fully electric cars, tax revenues on gas are down and EV drivers are unfairly given a tax break as they continue to use the roads.

Seems reasonable to somehow recoup revenues lost on declining gasoline sales?
    The "Roads Go On Forever", to misquote Robert Earl.

8. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Dfw metromess.
    Meh.

HKShooter65 likes this.
  9. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I imagine they'll have more luck shifting it to an increase on your annual vehicle registration. Back of the napkin math:

12,000 miles per year
    25 mpg average economy
    480 gal used
    Fed+Texas $0.384/gal fuel tax
    = $184.32 in taxes

10. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I'll be glad when the inner city/local delivery trucks are electric.
    The improved acceleration will help traffic flow immensely.

Davetex, Big Green and toddnjoyce like this.