• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    About 80% of the way through One Hour After.

Had me thinking about a few things. Well, for one I ordered six books about foraging for vegetation, berries, roots, that kind of thing. SAS survival handbook. TEOTWAWKI. Already had some other items around the house but I hadn't considered having hard copies of relevant reading material that would survive an EMP attack like in the book One Hour After.

I started to think that I should hurry up and buy a .22 and a crap ton of ammo for small game hunting and then that got me to thinking about the weapons that I already own and I'm wondering this:

Would laser/light combos and red dot sights survive EMP?
    Target Sports

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    EMP, electro magnetic pulse, affect computer or other magnetic components.
    I really dont think red dots have anything in them that can be screwed up by magnetic pulse.
    Call Larue and ask those guy. They Know all about that kind of stuff.
    "That's why, no matter what, all my guns keep iron sights even with optics.
    I do have a couple that has no place for iron sights, but I have other that do.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    "Well, for one I ordered six books about foraging for vegetation, berries, roots, that kind of thing."

Be careful about some of the suggestions in these books. Most of the information about wild gathered plants is good as long as you REALLY know one plant from another. My wife and I have done some extensive wilderness camping/backpacking and have seen others really make themselves sick by miss-identifying plants!

Oh, and remember Euell Gibbons? Back in the seventies he wrote several books on eating the plants from the forest. Well, I know a fellow that tried his advise on how to become immune to the reaction of poison ivy. It was written in the book to eat three leaves of poison ivy a day for three weeks. It claimed that doing this will give you a summer of immunity. Well, this fellow was very careful in handling the leaves by using gloves. He was very careful to not touch the lips or face with the leaves. Everything went well until the leaves moved through his digestive system. No problems internally, but when the leaves came out!!!!!!!! The poor fellow had the worst rash in one of the worst places!!!!! He was miserable! Did it work? Well, he didn't continue eating them for the three weeks, and I completely lost interest in trying it myself after seeing him constantly scratching at his a- hole!!!:ohnoes:

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    "Well, for one I ordered six books about foraging for vegetation, berries, roots, that kind of thing."

Be careful about some of the suggestions in these books. Most of the information about wild gathered plants is good as long as you REALLY know one plant from another. My wife and I have done some extensive wilderness camping/backpacking and have seen others really make themselves sick by miss-identifying plants!

Oh, and remember Euell Gibbons? Back in the seventies he wrote several books on eating the plants from the forest. Well, I know a fellow that tried his advise on how to become immune to the reaction of poison ivy. It was written in the book to eat three leaves of poison ivy a day for three weeks. It claimed that doing this will give you a summer of immunity. Well, this fellow was very careful in handling the leaves by using gloves. He was very careful to not touch the lips or face with the leaves. Everything went well until the leaves moved through his digestive system. No problems internally, but when the leaves came out!!!!!!!! The poor fellow had the worst rash in one of the worst places!!!!! He was miserable! Did it work? Well, he didn't continue eating them for the three weeks, and I completely lost interest in trying it myself after seeing him constantly scratching at his a- hole!!!:ohnoes:

It's funny you mention that! Three of the books I picked up were from Gibbons. Of course the obligatory Stalking the Asparagus. :) Sucks for your friend but I'd rather just get a rash than EAT poison ivy. That sounds like a bad idea to me. Just a, you know, common sense kind of thing. ;)

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Im pretty sure Asparagus wouldnt be affected by EMP either.
    Poison ivey, aint got none around here. Just Rattle snakes.
    And yes, their is a immunization shot for Rattle Snakes. My vet gives em to my dogs.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    About 80% of the way through One Hour After.

Had me thinking about a few things. Well, for one I ordered six books about foraging for vegetation, berries, roots, that kind of thing. SAS survival handbook. TEOTWAWKI. Already had some other items around the house but I hadn't considered having hard copies of relevant reading material that would survive an EMP attack like in the book One Hour After.

I started to think that I should hurry up and buy a .22 and a crap ton of ammo for small game hunting and then that got me to thinking about the weapons that I already own and I'm wondering this:

Would laser/light combos and red dot sights survive EMP?

as ong as there are no transistors...

in other words nope. radios? only if they are oldschool tube radios.
    solid state circuitry is a no go.

now if you are like me, you would plan to have Faraday shield around your whole house. then your stuff will work fine.

randy_rcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    A .22 eh? U mean I shouldn't shoot squirrels for food with my mosin? Lol BOOOOOM! where did the squirrel go? Oh look I found a piece of the tail! LOL

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    as ong as there are no transistors...

in other words nope. radios? only if they are oldschool tube radios.
    solid state circuitry is a no go.

now if you are like me, you would plan to have Faraday shield around your whole house. then your stuff will work fine.

Soooo, red dots and laser/light combos have transistors? I've never taken one apart to look. How do you propose to encase your house in a Faraday cage? It's not like you can slip it into a giant ESD bag.

I haven't been watching Goldeneye. Don't think I've seen it since before that N64 game came out... I got to thinking about EMP because of the book I was reading mentioned in the original post.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    On the serious side, if you are concerned about EMP there are a number of things you can do to protect your electronic equipment. Putting your electronics in a standard safe or a gun safe is not adequate because EMP effects can "leak" into safes via interior lighting cables, poor door seals, poorly sealed floor bolts, etc. You can buy copper mesh-lined bags and containers designed to handle EMP/RFI on the commercial market, and that way at least protect things like your laptop and such from an EMP attack.

Just a personal comment on the side, EMP is being considerably hyped by the media as another one of those we're-all-gonna-die! things. The only countries opposing the U.S. at this time who could conduct a successful EMP attack on the U.S. would be Russia and China, and such an attack would require enhanced radiation warheads, precise detonation times and locations, and a larger number of warheads than commonly quoted in the media (more like a dozen instead of just one).

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    He don't knock the outlet mall in San Marcos they have a bunch of good sales there, just too bad they don't have any gun stores there....
    i know man. that pisses me off everytime i get dragged there.

though yesterday i bought a new wok.
    that was cool.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    An EMP attack is possible, but not probable. I would be more concerned about an event like this: Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed in some cases even shocking telegraph operators.[5] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.[6] Some telegraph systems appeared to continue to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.
    NASA is predicting the sun will reach solar maximum sometime late 2012 - early 2013. High probability that a similar storm will occur, but no way to know if earth will get blasted by it. Could go in any direction.

Unless a reddot was specifically designed to withstand an EMP, it would probably be dead. Yes they have transistors and micro electronics in them. Your car will also be dead. I plan on having a diesel pickup with all electrical systems converted over to mechanical and compressed air start by the 4th quarter of 2012.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom