• ...and so much more!
  • MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    If I have to eat a squirrel, I'm sure it tastes better cooked than raw.

What do you mean have to?
    Squirrel is good and so are rabbits. You have to try it some times.
    Squirrel, Rabbit, Quail, Dove, gater, deer. It's all good stuff.
    Rattlesnake is good too, I just never have enough left of one to clean. Takes 5 rounds of 00 to kill a snake.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX

Ive eaten all of those but the squirrel. It just doesn't seem too appealing.

Rattlesnake is good too, I just never have enough left of one to clean. Takes 5 rounds of 00 to kill a snake.

Maybe you just suck at killing snakes. Only takes one machete.

As far as "having to" eat squirrel, I don't want to be in a position where I absolutely must kill something to eat, which is why I've ordered the books about what plants are safe to forage and what are not. I've heard from some backwoods Arkansas friends of mine that "SQUAAA" (squirrel) is pretty tasty.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

heh or one good whack with a shovel for a decapitation...

not to many rabbits around my place. i dont shoot em' because i would like to see them come back and thrive a bit first.

however, folks in enw braunfels,at my request the old HEB on walnut will soon have rabbit. over next to the quail and pheasents.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    having been married to a Cajun girl for 30 years, I have eaten quite a variety of wild critters. Snapping turtle and Nutria comes to mind, not to mention tons of crawfish and rice!!! It sure tastes good though! Oh, and to make Black Bird Pie it takes around 30 Black Birds ( just in case you wanted to know)

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    heh or one good whack with a shovel for a decapitation...

not to many rabbits around my place. i dont shoot em' because i would like to see them come back and thrive a bit first.

however, folks in enw braunfels,at my request the old HEB on walnut will soon have rabbit. over next to the quail and pheasents.
    Thats what I like about HEB

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    never have eaten a black bird... im guessing like starlings or grackles?

i wasted about 3 grackles today. they fly in about an hour after i get off work and shit allover everything and cause a racket. i pop a few until they get the idea to gtfo.... i asked about nutria recipes a while back in another thread. they sure do look hideos but i have been meaning to find a spot were i could go harvest 10-15 to make some gloves and maybe sample a bit of the meat.... if nothing else i could always make some primo dog / cat food out of em' liek i do with the grackles.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Thats what I like about HEB

hell yes.

i was looking around and the guy says "what ya lookin for?" i said "rabbit" he said "we dont have that" i said "damn" he said "come back in 4 days and we will have some for ya." i said "awesome! thanks."

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Ive eaten all of those but the squirrel. It just doesn't seem too appealing.

Maybe you just suck at killing snakes. Only takes one machete.

As far as "having to" eat squirrel, I don't want to be in a position where I absolutely must kill something to eat, which is why I've ordered the books about what plants are safe to forage and what are not. I've heard from some backwoods Arkansas friends of mine that "SQUAAA" (squirrel) is pretty tasty.

and squirrel is delicious man. you should listen to ol' Bill on this one. he knows what he's talkin abotu when it comes to the #1 arkansas breakfast food- squirrel brains and eggs.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I ate some sparrows one time. Didnt know it untill they wanted me to help to trap some more. They were good.

Oh, I grew up with a Vietnamese kid. " I probably ate a cat too"??

tiny pickled songbirds are delicious. eat em' whole like meaty peeps lol.

and i've had some roof rabbit (kitty cat) and it was actually pretty damn good. when i lived at the trailer park i came home one night and got called over to the neighbors and they where having a BBQ.... they wanted me to bring my beer which i was never in short supply of in those days.

i obliged, and they fed me this delightful meal. complete with a side of ranch-style beans. i couldn't quite tell what it was, it was good i didn't ask. i figured chicken or rabbit or something, but it was just hard to place.

anyway i went to throw away my plate and int he trash can i see reflecting eyes scared the shit out of me, looked closer and it was a cat head accompanied by an empty skin and a few feet. LoL.

well, it sure was tasty!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Gaters. I like Gater meat. " Got to doing me some mean beast hunting when I lived in Louisiana".
    The hard part is getting a 8 foot SOB home after you kill it. They dont have luggage handles like in the cartoons!

Oh and dont forget about froglegs!! I giged them down there too. Lots of fun and tasty!

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Starlings, Grackles, Robins and most other birds have dark meat like Dove and Pigeons. Depending on how they are prepared, they all pretty much have the same flavor. Nutria had a "gamey" taste, but was improved by making a Nutria Sauce Picante. The proper seasoning can improve the flavor of just about anything!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    whenever i go find the grackle after introducing him to a .22 short, there is jsut something about the looks of that bird that jsut makes me want to light it on fire and be done with it. eesh. i always think about eating it, but i can never bring myself to do it. hell, the cats wont even touch em unless you process em' a bit first...

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    whenever i go find the grackle after introducing him to a .22 short, there is jsut something about the looks of that bird that jsut makes me want to light it on fire and be done with it. eesh. i always think about eating it, but i can never bring myself to do it. hell, the cats wont even touch em unless you process em' a bit first...

Yea I know!! The SOB's eat up all my fig too!! I sit outside in the evening with a 22 and a box of super colibri's shooting those nast things! I hate em!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    not the figs!

it is quite a good time though for sure.

also, i liek to do my civic duty as much as possible and waste those little douchebags. as i have witnessed on several occasions them killing mockingbirds brutally and raiding their nests, tossing out eggs and pecking chicks to death.

and as you all know, that is our state bird...

cant have that on my watch ... :-|

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well.. i guess i might as well point out

:sign0101:

another option for the OP is to buy backups for your optics and such, and keep them in a nice sealed ammo cn. those make damn good faraday cages as well. for added security line and wrap with aluminum foil.

this could also be done to a safe room. be sure to cut off all electricity phone and cable to aid room, and basically do the walls ceiling and everyhtign else with some nice old fashioned aluminum foil.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Wild birds can be surprisingly good. I'm not much on squirrel though. Too much like a rat with a bushy tail.

However, If all hell ever actually breaks loose, I'm sure I'll be a happy squirrel consumer. Have .22s. Will travel.

Top Bottom