• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehe in the event of a worldwide EMP effect ie from the whole solar maximum thing, we would basically be starting over from nothing...

we would have only the barest of infrastructure... i mena our roads would still be there... most of them would be clogged with cars though. we'd have buildings, but nothing would work in them...

generators would largely be useless as well. quite a situation honestly. i dont know how well i would fare. i would probably survive, as i like to buy mechanical when i can. i dont have a car to get ruined, and im pretty sure my boots operate free of microprocessors... our guns will mostly all still work. home you have.
    conventional glass or iron sight systems though.

i would love love love to setup a pigeon powered comms network...

remember carrier pigeons?

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    hehe in the event of a worldwide EMP effect ie from the whole solar maximum thing, we would basically be starting over from nothing...

we would have only the barest of infrastructure... i mena our roads would still be there... most of them would be clogged with cars though. we'd have buildings, but nothing would work in them...

generators would largely be useless as well. quite a situation honestly. i dont know how well i would fare. i would probably survive, as i like to buy mechanical when i can. i dont have a car to get ruined, and im pretty sure my boots operate free of microprocessors... our guns will mostly all still work. home you have.
    conventional glass or iron sight systems though.

i would love love love to setup a pigeon powered comms network...

remember carrier pigeons?

The only upside is that we'd have all the science, too. All the accumulated knowledge of mankind that has been "put to paper" as it were would still be around so at least we wouldn't need to re-invent things like electricity and refrigeration, we'd just need to scavenge the parts to get it working.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    ^ right.

sounds easy in theory.... lol.

really gonna suck for those of ya'll with pacemakers.

speaking of pacemakers, anyone ever want to make a nuclear battery? I dont think you can find radium anymore huh? tritium could work witha bit of imagination.

All the ionization smoke detectors have Americium in them...
    Funny enough, the wiki entry speaks of nuke batteries as a possible use for this element.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    this is true^^

tritium would be soooooo easy though.
    or radium.

since it glows for so long, imagine if ya just painted a peice of paper nice and thick with radium, (tritium would hbe harder since it is basically hydrogen gas though right?) and sandwiched the glowing paper between to solar cells. solder on some leads, and encase in lead.

bam 90 year battery.

i still think it is so awesome hwo that kid made a breeder reactor with americium thorium and auminum foil.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What's the story on this?
    David Hahn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mmmm, radiation sickness

david_hahn-thumb.jpg

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Wouldn't a gun safe be a sufficient Faraday cage to protect items inside it?

Again, like Wolfwood mentioned, there are too many points of "leakage" in a gun safe, not the least of which are any power cables routed into the safe, mounting holes for floor or wall bolts, and even non-hermetically sealing doors. On the one hand you'd have to be fairly close to a hypothetical EMP event for, say, a computer in a gun safe to be damaged, but if you wanted to be thoroughly protected you'd need to store it in a RFI/EMP protected bag like I described in an earlier reply.

Top Bottom