• MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Oh noes!!!!!
    Im just turning all my magnets around backwards so they repell all the EMP waves.
    Easy as that.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    An EMP attack is possible, but not probable. I would be more concerned about an event like this: Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NASA is predicting the sun will reach solar maximum sometime late 2012 - early 2013. High probability that a similar storm will occur, but no way to know if earth will get blasted by it. Could go in any direction.

Unless a reddot was specifically designed to withstand an EMP, it would probably be dead. Yes they have transistors and micro electronics in them. Your car will also be dead. I plan on having a diesel pickup with all electrical systems converted over to mechanical and compressed air start by the 4th quarter of 2012.

i keep hearing this 2012 date.

kindof a hell of a coincidence that all this shit seems to be due to happen... and to top it off... its an election year.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    i keep hearing this 2012 date.

kindof a hell of a coincidence that all this shit seems to be due to happen... and to top it off... its an election year.
    lol, yes it is a coincidence... Scientists are having a hard time predicting when the sun will be at solar maximum. They keep changing the dates. At one point they said sometime in 2014. Getting it narrowed down to a couple years is pretty darn good considering you're talking about something who's lifetime is measured in billions of years.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So... exactly what happens when the sun will be at solar maximum?
    Probably nothing... but the sun will have many more storms (spots)than usual. The likely hood of a coronal mass ejection is higher. Of course space is big, and even if there is a CME it probably won't hit earth. Did you read the article about 1859? If it did that to the telegraph network, you can imagine what it would do to our power grid. It would be like a world wide EMP.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    You know this makes me wonder...... Some think the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world in 2012. You don't suppose that the Mayans were predicting the reelection of Obama do you? :ohnoes:

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    An EMP attack is possible, but not probable. I would be more concerned about an event like this: Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NASA is predicting the sun will reach solar maximum sometime late 2012 - early 2013. High probability that a similar storm will occur, but no way to know if earth will get blasted by it. Could go in any direction.

An excellent point. People have little to no appreciation to how devastating a large coronal mass ejection directed toward Earth could be. These things do happen, it's not hype, and something akin to the 1859 event would be devastating. Just the loss of communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit alone would cost hundreds of billions to replace, and that replacement would take years to complete. Thank goodness people like ourselves are already prepared to handle such disasters, but boy the masses sure aren't.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    An excellent point. People have little to no appreciation to how devastating a large coronal mass ejection directed toward Earth could be. These things do happen, it's not hype, and something akin to the 1859 event would be devastating. Just the loss of communication satellites in geosynchronous orbit alone would cost hundreds of billions to replace, and that replacement would take years to complete. Thank goodness people like ourselves are already prepared to handle such disasters, but boy the masses sure aren't.

Well. If it happens, it happens. I've had my cannibalism plan in place for years.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Traps and snares seem too complex to me. I mean, I wasn't a Boy Scout or anything and can't tie a knot, so I'd rather just pop something with a .22 and cook it up.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    EMP is probably the least likely thing to ever have effect us realistically. I hardly see where going nuts to protect yourself from them is worth any effort.

You have a better chance of being fried by a rogue solar flare.

Waste of time.

Top Bottom