• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Wasabi is as wasabi does, and I could care less if you want to remain ignorant.

I know what bleach does, doesn't mean they put it on my sashimi.
    Put it this way then, I'll take what the Japanese guy preparing my sashimi told me in broken english over your vast knowledge, "no wasabi, bad!"

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    In Utah now just about to our hotel. 430am up and on the road.
    View attachment 147878
    Been a relaxing trip. Buddy took vacation and we just split the drive each day.

Did the same with my BIL on the last long trip. Definitely makes things easier. I remember a few cross country trips alone with just AM/FM radio and just about losing my mind crossing states like Kansas. .:beat:

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Depends on where you are buying your nigiri - some places spread it on the rice under the fish, and some don't.

To hold the fish in place. 3 minutes on Google will show the bacteria killing just so much horsesh....er radish.
    Still a condiment, we're merely discussing placement now.

And don't get me started on the nigiris....

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    To hold the fish in place. 3 minutes on Google will show the bacteria killing just so much horsesh....er radish.
    Still a condiment, we're merely discussing placement now.

And don't get me started on the nigiris....
    Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish, but there are many plants and vegetables like some peppers that have enzymes that can kill bacteria. Wasabi is more often used in many Japanese raw fish dishes.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That is the problem with broken English, what he was trying to say is: No wasabi is bad.
    Pretty much all the sushi bars, not sure if that's the correct term in Japanese, that I had been to make the dishes in the center of a horseshoe like bar and will have a conveyor belt to where you pick up the dish as it goes by. They may have more than one person making it and will have a big bowl of wasabi nearby, and yes they will put a thin layer between the fish or whatever type they are making. They type of tuna, salmon or other fish or seafood are different prices, the color dish determines the price. I also watched them make sushi and they will rub the wasabi on the fish before making a roll which they cut into pieces.

The guy I was talking to actually went on to tell me that I could get sick if they didn't use the wasabi. He also told me that he spent several years learning to make it right. Whether that meant just what they made there or other things, I didn't ask.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    ..........will have a conveyor belt to where you pick up the dish as it goes by.
    ROTFL - I wondered who ate in those places. You ever wonder who picks up a piece with their fingers then changes their mind and puts it back? I can just see a conveyor belt at Uchi. LOL! https://uchiaustin.com/

Every place I have been makes each order individually and serves them to you on a plate with ginger and additional wasabi on the side.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You ever wonder who picks up a piece with their fingers then changes their mind and puts it back?
    That's not the way it works. The plates are jammed together on the conveyor. You pick up a plate and that empty space is instantly filled by the action of the belt. It's impossible to put a plate back.

Normally, the plates are color-coded as to the price of what's on the plate. When you're ready to go, your bill is calculated by counting your plates.

Under no circumstances would anyone ever pick a piece off the plate, leaving the plate on the conveyor. Doing that crap will get you firmly corrected, instantly. Do it again and you're likely to be thrown out rather unceremoniously. And you only get that level of deference if you're a gaijin; a native wouldn't get a warning.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Sam you ever wonder where your thread went????
    Lol what Ben said. It’s still entertaining. More entertaining than what’s going on here aka nothin’.
    6FA91CBB-34F0-4626-B623-482E0A92BA69.jpeg

Top Bottom