• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country

I thought I done that when I stated I had a problem with it ? I don't promote any one breaking laws or finding loop holes in them to get around a them, this takes me back to my stance on blanket laws that have had very little thought put in them, fast and easy so our over worked elected politicians can get back to their golf game. I know we have some good honest hard working conservative politicians in Washington...........But then we have the Brady Bunch and the blanket law advocates .
    Best/joe
    Best/joe

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    I stated earlier I usually shy away from topics like these too inflammatory, I come here to make friends so..............Im done with this thread.
    Best Regards/joe

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    OP or Picker, lol.

Probably better the OP make no more attempts at self incrimination.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    why do I keep coming back in here?

this is like meth or something.. I can't stay away

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've looked at this thing since it got originally posted - semi conflicting opinions. On the one hand, a dude with a felony, buying ammo either has the gun fun disease, or is a full on idiot, OR accepts the consequences of being caught. I wouldn't have the balls for that. The full-on Molon-Labe guys probably don't care about the consequences.

Conflicts: #1, I support a family and probably wouldn't go that route.
    #2 - I get it, and if it were just me involved, I'd consider the consequences.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A game warden can come on your property just about any time they want, especially if you are hunting. They have a lot of leeway.
    True but how likely is it that the game warden would ask if he is a felon if he had all his hunting papers in order? I don't think he's very likely to be caught unless he's doing something stupid. It would still be best to take up archery, air rifles, or black powder.

When I find someone who is particularly rude, abrasive, combative or difficult
    .....he jumped me over my post.
    Younggun wasn't rude or abrasive or any of that. He had a critisism of your reasoning that I think is valid. Dissagreements are part of the conversation and nothing to get upset over.

I think it also comes down to a personal question of "is breaking <insert law> "wrong" or is it just illegal?".
    I think there are a lot of laws that can be broken without actually being "wrong" or "bad". NFA laws for instance.
    Yep... malum prohibitum vs malum in se

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True but how likely is it that the game warden would ask if he is a felon if he had all his hunting papers in order? I don't think he's very likely to be caught unless he's doing something stupid. It would still be best to take up archery, air rifles, or black powder.

I agree. I think I made a similar post to the question of "why even get the license".

I also agree that the best legal course of action is to take up archery and not post about committing crimes on an Internet forum, even if I disagree with the "crime".

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    "Younggun wasn't rude or abrasive or any of that. He had a critisism of your reasoning that I think is valid. Dissagreements are part of the conversation and nothing to get upset over."

I'm not upset. I simply won't be treated like a buddy in a bar or on the street. I am not your friend and you won't play grab ass with me.

There are some members who use their posts to shoot off their mouths, get rude and belligerent and to say things that they wouldn't have the balls to say in person. A good friend left this forum because of behavior exactly like I describe. It's a damned shame. He's a nice guy and we all lost when he left.

I come here to share ideas. Be polite and civilized or stay to Hell away from me. Better yet, put me on your "ignore" list.

Flash

kaylee1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    Well, this got out of hand. Haha. Sorry, I ventured off for a day and had 10 pages to read to catch up. I can't answer everything that was addressed at once, but I'll try to touch on a few points.

1. Don't worry, I'm not a troll. Just a regular ole' guy, but I am kinda short.

2. Thanks for the support from those of you approaching this from a logical standpoint.

3. Yes, I suppose I'm still breaking the law when I purchase ammunition, other than blackpowder. Does that show a level of stupidity? Some may think so. But, I'm the same idiot who's teaching your children. (I'm a public school teacher.) Sorry, I really don't want to be sarcastic or start any more arguments, just pointing out that jumping to conclusions and calling someone stupid over the internet, is well...stupid.

4. Why buy a hunting license? Because it's the right/logical thing to do. Am willing to take the risk and accept the punishment if I were to get caught? Of course. Is that crazy? I don't think so. I support the constitution and I believe that unless you've shown that you are irresponsible with firearms, everyone has the right to own them. (Especially if you are on your own property.) What's crazy, in my opinion, is people who see it otherwise. Is it logical that someone who writes a hot check should no longer be able to own firearms? What if you keep an excess number of tires on your property? Both felonies.

EDIT: Oh I wanted to add too that it is legal for felons to purchase firearms/ammo from individuals (and it is legal for you to sell it to them), but the same 5-year rule applies.

5. I certainly don't "hob nob" with high power officials. Haha. I was just extremely involved in the political process back in college and got to meet and greet with some elected officials.

6. Some of you jumped again to the conclusion about "he's a felon, do the crime, accept the punishment." Again, you'd need to know the facts of the case, the handling of the case, etc. Way too much to discuss here obviously. But the "wrong place wrong time" post someone mentioned about accidentally bringing the gun to court comes close. Someone else said something to the effect of, "I'm sure I've committed a felony once in my life without knowing it..." Statistics show people commit on average 3 felonies per day without knowing it. Someone else pointed out the overreach of the government. This is true. I think those who didn't know would be surprised by what all is considered a felony now. Anyway, I digress, that wasn't the point of my original post.

7. I'm not trying to circumvent the law and I certainly don't condone anyone else offering up "advice" on how to do so. Again, I came here for feedback regarding the wording of the law.

Anyway, I guess this has turned into a good debate. I'll try and stay more focused on the thread so I can answer questions more directly.

Thanks again for everyone's input thus far.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, looks like I was way off base.

It IS. A guy.

As far as being a teacher....no offense, but some are idiots.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I simply won't be treated like a buddy in a bar or on the street. I am not your friend and you won't play grab ass with me.
    lol... I don't want to play grab-ass with anyone either, but I do consider the forum the same as a friendly conversation. We're all buddies here in one form or another. There are some people I ignore on a regular basis, but I don't have anyone on my ignore list. I just scroll past it if I don't want to read it.

Well, this got out of hand. Haha.
    That's what makes this place fun!

What if you keep an excess number of tires on your property? Both felonies.
    How many contraband tires do you have to have before it's a felony? If they are mounted on wheels does it count? I'm worried my third cousin's best friend might be over the limit.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Well, this got out of hand. Haha. Sorry, I ventured off for a day and had 10 pages to read to catch up. I can't answer everything that was addressed at once, but I'll try to touch on a few points.

1. Don't worry, I'm not a troll. Just a regular ole' guy, but I am kinda short.

2. Thanks for the support from those of you approaching this from a logical standpoint.

3. Yes, I suppose I'm still breaking the law when I purchase ammunition, other than blackpowder. Does that show a level of stupidity? Some may think so. But, I'm the same idiot who's teaching your children. (I'm a public school teacher.) Sorry, I really don't want to be sarcastic or start any more arguments, just pointing out that jumping to conclusions and calling someone stupid over the internet, is well...stupid.

4. Why buy a hunting license? Because it's the right/logical thing to do. Am willing to take the risk and accept the punishment if I were to get caught? Of course. Is that crazy? I don't think so. I support the constitution and I believe that unless you've shown that you are irresponsible with firearms, everyone has the right to own them. (Especially if you are on your own property.) What's crazy, in my opinion, is people who see it otherwise. Is it logical that someone who writes a hot check should no longer be able to own firearms? What if you keep an excess number of tires on your property? Both felonies.

EDIT: Oh I wanted to add too that it is legal for felons to purchase firearms/ammo from individuals (and it is legal for you to sell it to them), but the same 5-year rule applies.

5. I certainly don't "hob nob" with high power officials. Haha. I was just extremely involved in the political process back in college and got to meet and greet with some elected officials.

6. Some of you jumped again to the conclusion about "he's a felon, do the crime, accept the punishment." Again, you'd need to know the facts of the case, the handling of the case, etc. Way too much to discuss here obviously. But the "wrong place wrong time" post someone mentioned about accidentally bringing the gun to court comes close. Someone else said something to the effect of, "I'm sure I've committed a felony once in my life without knowing it..." Statistics show people commit on average 3 felonies per day without knowing it. Someone else pointed out the overreach of the government. This is true. I think those who didn't know would be surprised by what all is considered a felony now. Anyway, I digress, that wasn't the point of my original post.

7. I'm not trying to circumvent the law and I certainly don't condone anyone else offering up "advice" on how to do so. Again, I came here for feedback regarding the wording of the law.

Anyway, I guess this has turned into a good debate. I'll try and stay more focused on the thread so I can answer questions more directly.

Thanks again for everyone's input thus far.

Hang around here and don't get offended easily and it will be a hoot!

Top Bottom