• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saguy46

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 28, 2021
    San Antonio
    If the telework trend holds or gets stronger, people will not commute to downtown, but remain in their homes in the burbs. Downtown businesses will fail without the foot traffic, and condo prices will plummet as downtown quality of life decreases. In other words, the effects of gentrification may see a reversal. The homeless own the cities, and they aint paying.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    1689164969228.png

guntrust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2023
    Morro Bay, CA
    Greetings! I just moved to the free state of Texas from Washington which has just gotten too crazy the past 10 years or so. I grew up in the Midwest and my wife's family lives down here so, once we decided to pull the trigger to flee WA, Texas made the most sense. My LTC status just changed to "mailed" so looking forward to being able to buy a firearm without oppressive rules. I refused to buy any new guns in WA once they started passing "assault weapons" laws and state registries. It's great to be in a state with some common sense and where everyone is so nice!
    Good move. We'll soon be making our fourth road trip to Texas (from California) over a period of only three months. We've found the negatives often circulated about Texas to be mostly overblown myths, and we've also found many positive surprises. Will probably be buying a house soon in the Galveston area.

bigbigtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2013
    Cowtown
    I was looking around online last month and discovered that Washington State has numerous Red voting counties. The voting power, like so many other states, is concentrated in the major cities that control the electoral votes of the state. See the attached map that shows the red & blue counties. The same is true for OR and CA. My Texas friend that has lived in WA state for 30 years days it's not bad to live there as long as you stay out of the cities. He is not a gun owner but has very Texas values. I have no desire to move there but found it interesting to learn that there are conservative thinking pockets of people there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623_114025.jpg
      Screenshot_20230623_114025.jpg
      200.2 KB · Views: 25
    • Screenshot_20230623_113812.jpg
      Screenshot_20230623_113812.jpg
      148.2 KB · Views: 31
    Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Good move. We'll soon be making our fourth road trip to Texas (from California) over a period of only three months. We've found the negatives often circulated about Texas to be mostly overblown myths, and we've also found many positive surprises. Will probably be buying a house soon in the Galveston area.
    Don't tell Californians that. We have been working hard to create those myths.

jnynetwk

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2023
    Victoria, TX
    I was looking around online last month and discovered that Washington State has numerous Red voting counties. The voting power, like so many other states, is concentrated in the major cities that control the electoral votes of the state. See the attached map that shows the red & blue counties. The same is true for OR and CA. My Texas friend that has lived in WA state for 30 years days it's not bad to live there as long as you stay out of the cities. He is not a gun owner but has very Texas values. I have no desire to move there but found it interesting to learn that there are conservative thinking pockets of people there.
    If you live outside the Seattle metro area it isn't that bad. Taxes are MUCH lower (stupid billion dollar per mile light rail!) with less crime. Generally I think the people in Washington are pretty nice. Not Texas nice, but pretty nice. As I said above, it was a great state when we moved there in 2001, even gun friendly. I'm sad to be forced to flee. But I'm happy to be in Texas!

CControl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2021
    Aubrey, TX
    To the OP, welcome from a 60-year Washington resident. My wife and I moved to Aubrey, just north of Dallas, almost two years ago following our kids and grand kids who moved moved to Texas over a 5 year period. We love Texas but miss the scenery and climate in Washington plus friends and remaining family.

To the long time Texas residents, what we do not miss are the asinine liberal politics of west coast states. We do not miss losing every election and ballot measure by 60/40 and watching our rights be taken away by a small minority in the large cities. My wife and I are the 9th and 10th red vote to move to Texas from our family in the past 6 years.

That brings me to the tired, old "you’re a refugee not a missionary". Understand that there is a third category, "The Cavalry". Those of us that want our red votes to count for something and are here to help, so consider giving the refugee/missionary-thing a rest.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

The problem lies with the libs that control the cities, and thus the state governments. The conservative counties have only so much sway, and so much say as to what laws are passed and how they're enforced.

A lot of red county sheriffs said they wouldn't enforce gun laws, but some backpedalled when pressed about it. Some remained true. But that doesn't stop the state police coming in and enforcing said laws at the behest of the governor, who in both states has the authority to order the state LE agencies to action, along with appointing the superintendent / chief of the department.

Oregon State Police, for instance, has tended to be headed by "good" democrats, at least as long as I've been studying them. In my younger days, I wanted to be an OSP trooper, and came close once until the governor cut the OSP after losing a push for higher taxes and fired 250 troopers instead of hiring an additional 250.

The county I lived 36 years of my life in went from solid red, to purple, and now as of 2020, its another blue county. Intel and the goddamned third world imports they brought in, along with the host of Californians, New Yorkers, and Illinoisites (or whatever you call them) fucked it up.

Its not hard to find good people when you leave the urban areas, but their voice is silenced by the masses of braindead liberals. Eastern Oregon, Southern Oregon (outside of Ashland and Medford) are full of people very Texan-like. Same with Eastern Washington. That's why those states fight the idea of splitting them. 2020 saw the closest they've come yet to getting traction on the movement to create the State of Jefferson, or the Greater Idaho movement - but Republican and Libertarian folks are shit at organizing and uniting and holding meetings unlike the democrats. I guess they're too busy at work and taking care of families.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The problem lies with the libs that control the cities, and thus the state governments. The conservative counties have only so much sway, and so much say as to what laws are passed and how they're enforced.

A lot of red county sheriffs said they wouldn't enforce gun laws, but some backpedalled when pressed about it. Some remained true. But that doesn't stop the state police coming in and enforcing said laws at the behest of the governor, who in both states has the authority to order the state LE agencies to action, along with appointing the superintendent / chief of the department.

Oregon State Police, for instance, has tended to be headed by "good" democrats, at least as long as I've been studying them. In my younger days, I wanted to be an OSP trooper, and came close once until the governor cut the OSP after losing a push for higher taxes and fired 250 troopers instead of hiring an additional 250.

The county I lived 36 years of my life in went from solid red, to purple, and now as of 2020, its another blue county. Intel and the goddamned third world imports they brought in, along with the host of Californians, New Yorkers, and Illinoisites (or whatever you call them) fucked it up.

Its not hard to find good people when you leave the urban areas, but their voice is silenced by the masses of braindead liberals. Eastern Oregon, Southern Oregon (outside of Ashland and Medford) are full of people very Texan-like. Same with Eastern Washington. That's why those states fight the idea of splitting them. 2020 saw the closest they've come yet to getting traction on the movement to create the State of Jefferson, or the Greater Idaho movement - but Republican and Libertarian folks are shit at organizing and uniting and holding meetings unlike the democrats. I guess they're too busy at work and taking care of families.

Could replace a few city/county names, and that was exactly my experience growing-up in Orange County, CA.

Within my lifetime, CA went from conservative to full retard.

Bullsi

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2022
    Montgomery Co, TX
    Greetings! I just moved to the free state of Texas from Washington which has just gotten too crazy the past 10 years or so. I grew up in the Midwest and my wife's family lives down here so, once we decided to pull the trigger to flee WA, Texas made the most sense. My LTC status just changed to "mailed" so looking forward to being able to buy a firearm without oppressive rules. I refused to buy any new guns in WA once they started passing "assault weapons" laws and state registries. It's great to be in a state with some common sense and where everyone is so nice!
    Hello jnynetwk, welcome to the great State of Texas. I’m just hoping you’re not bringing bad voting habits with you. The margin of victory for conservatives here in Texas have been decreasing every voting cycle for several years and I believe it’s because of the large influx of Liberals running away from craziness they voted for. Then too ignorant to change the way they vote in their new State. Help us keep Texas in conservative control.

Top Bottom