• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why do you want that documentation "for your records"? Why does it matter to you who bought your firearm?

People have their reasons. Whether you agree with those reasons is irrelevant. Maybe they want it just for a record, maybe they want it for insurance purposes or just in case they get a misrepresented gun and want to take the guy to court over it. Maybe they just like keeping their receipts (I still have the receipts to every gun I have ever bought from a gun shop). Why does it matter what their reason is? You are not required to buy from them, and you're not required to sign anything. If you don't like a deal, simply walk away.

Maybe he is that guy that pushes yes when the gas pump asks if you want a receipt.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

If I used a card, then maybe I do push it sometimes. :p
    DK Firearms

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    That's a very good point. Those $300 guns can add up once you get a few BTW. ;)

You can have 100 $300 guns, An insurance company won't require or need a BOS if you make a claim. Depending upon the policy, they are going to pay you the replacement value or a depreciated value according to a "blue book" listing.

Either way I think the people saying it's no big deal are missing the principle of the whole thing. If we as a community allow it to go on amongst each other then there stands a chance that such activity can be used against us some day. If BOS became something generally acceptable among us, I think there stands a chance of one day the gun owning community thinking that perhaps the government requiring it isn't so much of an intrusion either. It could even be used against us politically. I could here gun control proponents stating that we already do it amongst ourselves, why not let the government do it?

klarowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Friendswood, TX
    What I don't see anyone bringing up is the protection for the buyer. If person A sells a gun to person B with no BOS then person A reports the gun stolen, what proof does person B have that says otherwise. So now person A has the money and the gun and person B is out the money AND risking their freedom on a he said / she said case.

Is it really worth that risk over a simple name and signature?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What I don't see anyone bringing up is the protection for the buyer. If person A sells a gun to person B with no BOS then person A reports the gun stolen, what proof does person B have that says otherwise. So now person A has the money and the gun and person B is out the money AND risking their freedom on a he said / she said case.

How does person A sell a gun to person B, but then person A still has the gun?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can have 100 $300 guns, An insurance company won't require or need a BOS if you make a claim. Depending upon the policy, they are going to pay you the replacement value or a depreciated value according to a "blue book" listing.

Either way I think the people saying it's no big deal are missing the principle of the whole thing. If we as a community allow it to go on amongst each other then there stands a chance that such activity can be used against us some day. If BOS became something generally acceptable among us, I think there stands a chance of one day the gun owning community thinking that perhaps the government requiring it isn't so much of an intrusion either. It could even be used against us politically. I could here gun control proponents stating that we already do it amongst ourselves, why not let the government do it?

A BOS is NOTHING like registration. It is a receipt, nothing more, nothing less. It's not going to become the means by which the Government comes to take your guns, and it's not a danger to anyone. It is a RECEIPT. Nobody here has even hinted at making them mandatory. I'm not even seeing anyone claim that you absolutely should get one, only list reasons why they might want one. If you want to talk about back door registration, then bring up the 4473. I will agree with you on that all day long. Claiming that a BOS (that only two people are ever going to know exists) is a form of registration is a bit much though.

I'm not trusting of the Government or their "common sense gun laws" BS, but damn, some of you guys are paranoid.

The fact that gun rights have been expanded greatly over the last two decades, and that is shows absolutely no sign of slowing down should show you that gun owners are not going to do something stupid like allow registration. The truth about gun control has been let out like it has never been let out before, and there is a more pro gun attitude in America than there has ever been in it's entire history.

klarowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Friendswood, TX
    How does person A sell a gun to person B, but then person A still has the gun?

I skipped some steps in the middle. Without proof of sale, if person A has their BOS from when they bought it, I would expect that the law will side with person A since they have the most proof of ownership. So person B is arrested for theft and the gun is returned to person A.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Is it really worth that risk over a simple name and signature?

Aside from being a completely ridiculous scenario, that buyers BoS is worthless unless it's notarized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Makes it easier for the ATF to claim your a dealer if you do a lot of buying and selling.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    There is a very simple solution to this issue. If you're not comfortable buying a gun from a person wanting you to sign a BoS or give your CHL# or stand on your left foot while juggling a chain saw then don't do business with them. If you're not comfy selling to someone for whatever reason then don't do business with them. There is no government entity forcing you to do business with anyone. Just like businesses have a supposed right to ban guns from their property, people have a right to ask you for a receipt.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Makes it easier for the ATF to claim your a dealer if you do a lot of buying and selling.

And if you buy with the "intent" to sell. Buying a few guns on Wednesday, cleaning them up and selling them the following weekend for a profit could be construed as just that.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is a very simple solution to this issue. If you're not comfortable buying a gun from a person wanting you to sign a BoS or give your CHL# or stand on your left foot while juggling a chain saw then don't do business with them. If you're not comfy selling to someone for whatever reason then don't do business with them. There is no government entity forcing you to do business with anyone. Just like businesses have a supposed right to ban guns from their property, people have a right to ask you for a receipt.

Quit making sense.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin

Common sense Bill of Sale control.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom