• ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Have seen too many qc issues for my taste

There is a BIG difference between seen and heard of. The only people that will be complaining are those having problems. To have a valid idea you need to know how many were sold. If 5 people complain but they sold 1000 that's not too bad.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    There is a BIG difference between seen and heard of. The only people that will be complaining are those having problems. To have a valid idea you need to know how many were sold. If 5 people complain but they sold 1000 that's not too bad.

"Any" gun can have an issue, regardless of manufacturer. There is no manufacturer that builds ALL their guns and never has to deal with an issue.

Losing sight of my thread. Lets keep it on track pls. Not looking for those brands and thats about it. Thank you

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Some of the posts here are hilarious. My best advice is to research. When I decided to get back into the 1911's (at the beginning of this year), I at times spent hours in the day researching online and going to various gun stores. I did have certain models in mind to start and it seemed that just as I had thought I found the one I wanted, another would catch my attention. I'm not rich, I can't buy trial and error. I did like the aspects of the custom guns and read an awful lot on the differences between a custom and production 1911's, but at this time I just can't justify $2500 to $5000 and even higher mark, so I decided to go with the customized production.

That was me, it's up to you to decide what you want.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Overall, most DW owners seem to be pleased with their 1911's. There was a period when they were having galling problems with their stainless models. Seems like that was a couple of years ago, though. Am sure they would have that solved by now.

Both my Dan Wesson pistols are 2007 production. The galling issue was before that.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Dan Wesson, like all the major gun makers, have there base models and higher end models. The difference is they start out at a higher price than others. The Dan Wesson I found that was comparable to what I have, cost about $400 more. No doubt Dan Wesson's are nice, so are Colt's. It's up to you to figure out what a name is worth.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

On my TRP, they had the wrong sights installed. Not just one or the other - both. And the sights were not even adjusted (WAY off, seems like it was about 6" off at 25 yards but I cannot recall for certain now). So either they did not test fire the gun (bad) or test fired and did not care that the sights were way off (even worse). Plus, FTE like crazy. As in almost every shot. Which also indicates either not tested or ignored.

So is that only one data point? Sure. But it is indicative of a severe "I could care less" quality attitude. I am done with SA 1911's.

Reactions: MTA

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Both my Dan Wesson pistols are 2007 production. The galling issue was before that.

Then there was another galling issue that came up later. A number of reports on new production 2-3 years ago. But I have not seen any further reports in the last year or so, assume it was solved (again).

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The difference is that even the base model Dan Wesson is all hand fitted with no MIM parts. A $900 Colt has MIM parts and a plastic MSH.
    Good to know. Do you know if all Colt models have this? or is it the lower cost models? Ty

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The difference is that even the base model Dan Wesson is all hand fitted with no MIM parts. A $900 Colt has MIM parts and a plastic MSH.

Never have understood the wrist flapping over the plastic mainspring housing. It works.
    If it doesn’t blow your skirt up, change the silly thing.
    That is what makes the 1911 so much fun. You can change out parts and customize it to your hearts content.
    99% of 1911 shooters will never know the difference between a metal or plastic MSH anyway.
    The boutique maker 1911’s are wonderful guns.
    Amazing quality and fantastic shooters.
    Strangely the owners of these I know rarely shoot them for fear of damaging their PRECIOUS.
    Absolutely terrified they might get a nick or a scratch on it.
    Meanwhile owners of plain old off the shelf 1911’s are happily running the everliving snot out of their guns. If it breaks so what. Parts are available.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Never have understood the wrist flapping over the plastic mainspring housing. It works.
    If it doesn’t blow your skirt up, change the silly thing.
    That is what makes the 1911 so much fun. You can change out parts and customize it to your hearts content.
    99% of 1911 shooters will never know the difference between a metal or plastic MSH anyway.
    The boutique maker 1911’s are wonderful guns.
    Amazing quality and fantastic shooters.
    Strangely the owners of these I know rarely shoot them for fear of damaging their PRECIOUS.
    Meanwhile owners of plain old of the shelf 1911’s are happily running the everliving snot out of their guns. If it breaks so what. Parts are available.
    That's another thing, I have no interest in buying safe queens. I buy them to shoot.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The gun control thing they pulled in Illinois turned me off

Without derailing this thread, I wont support them due to their gun control lobbying in Illinois. I have owned a Springfield 1911 in the past and I had a bad experience with QC. So its a double no for me. If others want to support them, they can but I have no interest in doing that

I believe that was outed as 'fake news'
    https://blog.springfield-armory.com...ent-regarding-gun-dealer-licensing-act-sb1657
    https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/...k-river-arms-oppose-gun-dealer-licensing-act/

Eli

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

Sorry I dont believe that Springfield + RRA had no idea that their own personal lobbyist group was trying to **** over every single other gun manufacturer in Illinois.

Its a discussion for another thread to be honest. I want to focus on brands other than the ones on my no-go list. Thanks

Top Bottom