• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I’m new to 1911s after having bought my first and only one last year - a stainless Colt Competition in .45. I love it. It’s my favorite handgun to shoot. So far about 500 or so rounds of all different kinds of ammo with no problems whatsoever. Mine doesn’t have rails, and I don’t know what Colt model comes with them, but I’m impressed enough with my .45 Colt Competition to recommend a Colt.

Reactions: MTA

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Never have understood the wrist flapping over the plastic mainspring housing. It works.
    If it doesn’t blow your skirt up, change the silly thing.
    That is what makes the 1911 so much fun. You can change out parts and customize it to your hearts content.
    99% of 1911 shooters will never know the difference between a metal or plastic MSH anyway.
    The boutique maker 1911’s are wonderful guns.
    Amazing quality and fantastic shooters.
    Strangely the owners of these I know rarely shoot them for fear of damaging their PRECIOUS.
    Absolutely terrified they might get a nick or a scratch on it.
    Meanwhile owners of plain old off the shelf 1911’s are happily running the everliving snot out of their guns. If it breaks so what. Parts are available.

1911 aficionados tend to have a dislike for plastic.

The vast majority of the folks I know with semi-custom or custom 1911's shoot and carry theirs. I know I do.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    1911 aficionados tend to have a dislike for plastic.

The vast majority of the folks I know with semi-custom or custom 1911's shoot and carry theirs. I know I do.

I don't carry, and rarely shoot my 1911's.

Obviously, I'm in the minority.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Yep I don't understand the no Kimber either. The Kimber I owned was a very nice pistol. Sold it to my brother in law and have been trying to get it back ever since. See them new now for $600 to $900. They make a very nice gun. If I was going to get one a Kimber is going to be at the top of my list in this price range.
    I agree

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Man, I can't believe this subject keeps popping up. There must be a thousand posts on various gun sites dealing with this very issue.

It boils down to price and availability. This fellow has already ruled out two or the major manufactures of 1911s. Colt and Springfield have built 1911s for eons. Kimber came into existence because people got fed up with the lack of quality of Colts back in the 80's. They almost put the Colt 1911 out of business.

In the 45 years I have played with 1911s, I find the Springfield line of 1911s to be the best quality for the money. The 45 or 9mm Range Officer pistols are very nice and probably more accurate than 95% of the people who buy one.

I pass on Ruger, Remington, Sig, and Rock Island. Their quality varies from pistol to pistol. Magnum Research makes a very nice 1911 as well as CZ. CZ has ceased production of their 1911 to concentrate on their more popular polymer pistols.

It boils down to what looks good to you and the amount of money you wish to spend. If you are going to be new to shooting a 1911, all of the custom features on many 1911s will be of no use to you. Buy a nice medium priced 1911 first. As you get better with the pistol you can "customize" it any way you like. There is a veritable bonanza of companies that make upgrade parts for the 1911. Remember the 1911 has been around for over 100 years. It must be doing something right!!

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Last I heard the Springfield drama was proven to be inaccurate and the last email I got from Springfield said they were no longer doing business with Dick's because of their policies which only makes me like them more. If I ever go the 1911 route, it'll be a Springfield.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Last I heard the Springfield drama was proven to be inaccurate and the last email I got from Springfield said they were no longer doing business with Dick's because of their policies which only makes me like them more. If I ever go the 1911 route, it'll be a Springfield.
    Not what i heard. They posted on their own blog that they had no idea what their lobbying group was doing. Horseshit. They never fired the lobbyist and they are the top contributor to the IMFA but claim ignorance to the whole deal? Its just them playing CYA. I have no problem buycotting Target and starbucks. Springfield is no different for me

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    The gun control thing they pulled in Illinois turned me off

Have seen too many qc issues for my taste

I was thinking Ruger or S&W

It is good to see someone living by their principles! If more people did that the world would be a much better place.

Reactions: MTA
    Top Bottom