• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I know now I could have gone with a much cheaper safe. When my daughter moved back in and began commuting to school, she brought ALL her chit and "piled" in in the garage! My safe is bolted down in the garage at the opposite end of the garage door opening. You can't even see it with the big door open. I've got it camouflaged with a washer/dryer combo, Wallyworld plastic storage boxes, chairs, couches, BIG clothes boxes, and on and on. Tha' safe is samwiched between a freezer and a refridgerator, etc., etc. :rolleyes:
    Capitol Armory ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is some validity to the idea that extra weight supplies extra security but any safe that is carried into place can be carried out...theoretically. I would still bolt down any safe regardless of weight, if for no other reason, because it doesn't cost much and isn't hard to do...compared to the overall cost and effort to get the safe in place to begin with.
    I suppose for safety it should be bolted in as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm not sure it would make much difference with safety.

I haven't bolted mine because I move it from time to time. I would have to make a decent effort to turn it over.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    One bucket of cheap range golf balls can move just about any safe. Watch the YouTube videos showing how to break into a safe. First thing they do is lay it on its back. Bolt it down.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Once again, everyone has their personal reasoning for different levels of protection.

Bolting it down will help prevent it from being moved, but in the case of pry bars it can simply alleviate the need to lay it down. The safe of already held in place and can be pried against as it stands.

A more important thing to prevent prying would be locking bolts that run on all sides of the door instead of just the opening (as seen in the first vid). This won't make it impossible, but it will slow someone down.

As far as other reasons, not gonna ruin my floor when I know I will probably move the safe every couple years.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you do bolt it down, putting it in a corner so the door opens beside a wall would make prying extremely difficult.

If sound isn't an issue, most could be open in a few minutes with a grinder or saw with the proper blade. Torch even, as most have good enough fire board inside to withstand the heat while the side is cut. The it's just a matter of busting the Sheetrock out and pulling the guns. And it would be a pretty quiet process with a small acetylene torch kit.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Say I already have a safe, and I wanted it bolted down in my garage. How much to do that do y'all think? Also, how would I go about installing a dehumidifier?

Sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    You already have a safe, and want it bolted down in your garage...........:green:

Well it's currently at my father in law's house, as I had no room at my parents house. Now that I bought a condo, I have a place to stick it. It has to be in the private garage it has, because the safe exceeds the weight of the building codes. (Second floor condo)

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Well it's currently at my father in law's house, as I had no room at my parents house. Now that I bought a condo, I have a place to stick it. It has to be in the private garage it has, because the safe exceeds the weight of the building codes. (Second floor condo)

you didn't see what I did there:facepalm:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Should be able to bolt it down yourself pretty easily if you can find someone to loan you a hammer drill.

Then just beat some anchors in and tighten them up

Top Bottom