Votes: 20 8.3%

• Total voters

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    well I'll be damned, who would have thunk it??? Good post Bigun. Though, it could have played out totally different...

Just sayin.....guy demands my ID then draws his gun when I refuse is gonna wind up getting shot, drawing a weapon should only be done when you absolutely intend to shoot, as such I would interpret that act as hostile and respond accordingly!

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    So if you draw and they back down you should still shoot?
    I would only draw if I had exhausted every other possible option. There is no "warning draw" or "draw to see what they do" if I am forced to draw my weapon it is because I have determined that there is no other option but to use deadly force to defend myself.

In the situation described if a man demanded my ID and I refused and he then reached for his weapon, I am going to assume that he does not have good intentions towards me.....if I have a clear and easy way to get out of the situation without using my weapon then yes I would take it but if the man reaches for gun, I have no clear way out and I feel that my life or the life of anyone with me is in danger then I would respond accordingly.

Obviously every situation is different and I cannot speak for the persons in question as I was not there.....but I do know that having a bunch of wannabe vigilantes demanding to see ID and permits and such WILL cause more problems than it could ever solve!

I am not a fan of open carry for this exact reason, I think we should have the right to but I don't support it because human beings (in large part) keep proving themselves incapable of the responsibility that comes with the carrying of a weapon!

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Just my opinion, but it should happen so quickly that the other guy doesn't get a chance to back down.

Draw...shoot.

Any hesitation between the two greatly increase YOUR chances to die.
    This....draw to shoot should be so fast that there is no "warning" which is why I said I would only draw if it is truly my last option!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    In Texas, the threat of deadly force is justified when the use is justified. There most certainly is "warning draw" as well as "warning point," but only when "fire" would be justified. It does not, however, mean draw=fire and to think so limits your options. Many more crimes are stopped by presentation of a weapon than delivery of a bullet.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    In Texas, the threat of deadly force is justified when the use is justified. There most certainly is "warning draw" as well as "warning point," but only when "fire" would be justified. It does not, however, mean draw=fire and to think so limits your options. Many more crimes are stopped by presentation of a weapon than delivery of a bullet.
    Legally it may be allowed but I would never use it. If I (me, personally) am forced to draw my weapon because of another's actions then it is not intended as a warning because I would have already issued verbal warnings, it would be because I have determined that the use of my weapon is the ONLY way I am going to get out of that situation alive/in good health.

I am curious, what is the difference between a warning draw and a warning shot? (No ill will intended by my question, I am just curious as to your opinion!)

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know you didn't, I apologize if it seemed like I was implying that you did......but I am curious as to why you would use drawing your weapon as a warning, which is similar to firing a warning shot!

Because if the justified THREAT of deadly force stops the confrontation, the job is done. No need to fire, and it's not at all similar to a warning shot. A warning shot is the USE of deadly force, just not at a known target. Bad idea, violates gun safety rules. Pointing/declaring doesn't require putting anyone in danger beyond the actor and may give them the choice to disengage and neither of us get hurt.

Am I reporting the incident to law enforcement if/when the perp runs away? Absolutely. I don't want to be the one being investigated when HE files a complaint about a man with a gun and the audio-less video shows nothing more than him walking up and me pointing a gun at him, minus the "give me your wallet or I'll stab you" where the knife in his hand in the dark is a pixel or two on the horrible video resolution...

In this order, after I draw, he retreats:
    1) Call 911 to report someone attempting to rob me then fleeing (not mentioning my gun unless I have to UNTIL the much-calmer-than-otherwise officer shows up to take my report)
    2) Call Texas Law Shield to let them know what happened, just in case the cops go squirrely

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Because if the justified THREAT of deadly force stops the confrontation, the job is done. No need to fire, and it's not at all similar to a warning shot. A warning shot is the USE of deadly force, just not at a known target. Bad idea, violates gun safety rules. Pointing/declaring doesn't require putting anyone in danger beyond the actor and may give them the choice to disengage and neither of us get hurt.

Am I reporting the incident to law enforcement if/when the perp runs away? Absolutely. I don't want to be the one being investigated when HE files a complaint about a man with a gun and the audio-less video shows nothing more than him walking up and me pointing a gun at him, minus the "give me your wallet or I'll stab you" where the knife in his hand in the dark is a pixel or two on the horrible video resolution...

In this order, after I draw, he retreats:
    1) Call 911 to report someone attempting to rob me then fleeing (not mentioning my gun unless I have to UNTIL the much-calmer-than-otherwise officer shows up to take my report)
    2) Call Texas Law Shield to let them know what happened, just in case the cops go squirrely
    My point is that the only time I would pull my gun is when I have decided that pulling the trigger is the only way to stop the threat....and I practice to make my draw to shoot time low enough that the person confronting me has zero time to react i.e. back down because they see the gun because by the time anyone sees it it is too late.

Plus, where I come from (admittedly I am unsure of the law here) but if you show a weapon in a threatening manner in a situation that did not require it you are brandishing and have then broken the law i.e. if I pull my gun using it as a "you better stop because I have a gun" then I have just broken the law and I am now in legal trouble. Whereas if I pull the gun and use it because my llife was threatened then I am justified to have shown the weapon

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I am not a fan of open carry for this exact reason, I think we should have the right to but I don't support it because human beings (in large part) keep proving themselves incapable of the responsibility that comes with the carrying of a weapon!
    ...and thus the nanny state was born.

Top Bottom