• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    Question for you guys. I was involved in a shooting at my house last year with my wifes ex husband, luckly it occured outside. Long story short, he was arrested on Aggravated Assault w/ a deadly weapon. (he's a 3 time convicted felon) but we have since moved to a newly built house which is all dry wall. Ever since that happened, it's always been in the back of my head that it could very well happen again. But I have 3 kids in my house and I have Glock 23 in my nightstand and a 870 Marine Magnum 12 gauge, but worry about over penetration or a missed shot that could punch right through the wall and hit them. I would never forgive myself if something like that happened.

Just wondering whats everyone opinion on less then leathal rounds (ie bean bag or rubber bullets for the shotgun for inside home defense? Outside, not a problem. Glock is coming out.
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    Question for you guys. I was involved in a shooting at my house last year with my wifes ex husband, luckly it occured outside. Long story short, he was arrested on Aggravated Assault w/ a deadly weapon. (he's a 3 time convicted felon) but we have since moved to a newly built house which is all dry wall. Ever since that happened, it's always been in the back of my head that it could very well happen again. But I have 3 kids in my house and I have Glock 23 in my nightstand and a 870 Marine Magnum 12 gauge, but worry about over penetration or a missed shot that could punch right through the wall and hit them. I would never forgive myself if something like that happened.

Just wondering whats everyone opinion on less then leathal rounds (ie bean bag or rubber bullets for the shotgun for inside home defense? Outside, not a problem. Glock is coming out.

im a newbie to the gun world, but I think you might find a Taurus Judge handy. I know alot of people dont recommend it for accuracy but for home defense it does the job well. You can probably use birdshot and spread your shot but not much penetration.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I keep a cimarron model P at the ready in 45LC. My lady is well versed in the concept of "click, bang". She has never really had the grip strength to rack a semi auto, so the old six gun stays hot at all times.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

I don't recommend them for self defense. If you need to shoot someone in self defense, it's most likely because they are trying to seriously harm or kill you or loved ones. That being the case, you want something that will physically disable them. Granted, a bean bag round at close range is going to hurt like nothing else, but a severely determined or drugged up attacker could fight through it. People have fought through worse. You want something that is going to destroy vital organs and physically prevent that person from continuing to fight.

Bird shot at extremely close range (7yds and in) *might* work, but be prepared to shoot multiple times if it doesn't. Bird shot is generally much too light and tends to under penetrate severely. End result could be superficial surface damage that doesn't physically disable that attacker, and if they're determined they could fight through it. I would not recommend a shotgun for home defense. An effective load would be buckshot, but in a home defense role, there would be a very serious risk of over-penetration. I'd recommend considering using the handgun as your primary home defense gun, and maybe the shotgun as the last resort.

An AR with the proper barrel length and bullet match would work much better in a home defense role than a shotgun. Despite what people think, as long as you properly match the bullet type and weight with the barrel of the gun so you stay above a certain velocity (usually ~2500+fps I believe), you are going to get fragmentation on impact and will actually have significantly less penetration than say buckshot would. It would also be more effective than a handgun round considering mag capacity and the fact the round is traveling over double the velocity of most handgun rounds. Despite popular belief, if you match these factors properly, a .223 round will not go all the way through a house just because it's a rifle round. ;) There is a reason a lot of the LE tactical community has moved to M4's and various other .223's for CQB stuff from Mp5's and other pistol caliber sub guns.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Handguns and Shotguns don't seem to vary much in wallboard penetration ... probably because the projectiles are very similar (large diameter bullet traveling relatively slow). The issue I have with the shotgun is that you have 5 - 50 different projectiles and no real way of controlling them once you've aimed them in a general area. In a tight environment where you have concerns of hitting 3rd parties I have a pretty big issue with anything that limits my control of the projectile. Moving an unwieldy 12-Ga. around with a 18" barrel is concerning also, especially in a smaller house. Getting down to a 10 - 12" gun cuts capacity and furthers your inability to control spread.

When you are talking about having to move to other rooms to secure children in a home invasion the handgun is a lightweight and controllable weapon. It doesn't have the firepower of the shotgun, but it's capable.

While I'm a believer in the AR being a viable HD weapon, it's one of those things where it might not hurt to test the setup first. There is a huge difference in how the bullets perform, and all of them are second room lethal. I don't consider a round that penetrates 6 - 12 pieces of sheetrock a viable overpenetration solution, but when you weigh the capacity, initial lethality, presence, and overall package, the carbine is superior in every regard.

Do some studies ... look at your house, the directions you may have to engage a target, how many pieces of sheetrock separate you and innocents? Two per most walls except firewalls which can contain 4 - 6 pieces of sheetrock (for those that live in apartments, townhomes, etc.).

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Caliber Testing medium Penetration Condition of bullet .223 Rem. gelatin only 9.5" two pieces .223 Rem. wall & gelatin 5.5" * fragmented .40S&W gelatin only 13.5" mushroomed .40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation .40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation .40S&W wall & gelatin 19.5" * slight deformation 12 ga. wall & gelatin 27.5" mushroomed
    * do not include a 6" drywall these are from testing by Olympic Arms

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    let's see...the Ruger 9mm P89DC is on the end table in the TV room with 15+1 rounds of 115 g HP, the Colt M1991A1 is next to my computer monitor with 7 rounds of standard 230 g FMJ ball, there is an all-metal IWI 941/Magnum Research Desert "Baby" Eagle .45 acp with 10+1 Hornaday 230 g +P HP on a book shelf on the head of the bed, a Mossberg 500 with 6 rounds of buckshot behind the my office door, and I believe my son has his "Baby" Eagle loaded with 10+1 165 g +P Corbon Power Balls at the head of his bed...and I believe my wife keeps a Walther P-22 with 10+1 Remington GB HP on her side of the bed.

There is a PD weapon placed throughout the house within reach regardless of where we are...except the hopper...gotta fix that.

theblakester

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Question for you guys.
    But I have 3 kids in my house and I have Glock 23 in my nightstand and a 870 Marine Magnum 12 gauge, but worry about over penetration or a missed shot that could punch right through the wall and hit them. I would never forgive myself if something like that happened.

IMHO less lethal rounds are pointless in a home defense situation. If you have to use a gun to protect yourself and your family, use whatever gun/ammo combination that will allow you to stop a threat the fastest. I understand your concern, and I know it sucks. But, to me there are too many scenarios or "what ifs" that would increase the risk of harming my family or myself by using a less lethal round. At least you know what lies beyond your target in your own house. What if the bad guy(s) have weapons? I bet they're not worried about over penetration or whats on the other side of the wall. Hitting a bad guy w/ a less lethal round might not stop him from shooting past you and into your daughter's room. What if you only have time to get off 1 or 2 rounds before drugged up bad guy(s) get to you or a family member? What if? what if? Stop the bad guy(s) as quickly as possible if you're in a situation where you feel like your family's life is at stake. Practice with your weapon and know how to shoot it well. Develop a plan with your family in case of a break in, and make sure everyone knows it. I don't know your floor plan, but maybe you could figure out a plan w/ the family to lock everyone in a room together and wait for the police. Say your prayers at night and hope that you're never in such a terrible situation. Here are some links regarding different types of guns and ammunition and penetration.

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #4 - Miscellaneous Rounds Meet the Box O' Truth
    The Box O' Truth #12 - Insulated Walls - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #22 - 20 Gauge Shotgun - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #19 - The Water Box O' Truth Part 3: Rifle Rounds - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #26 - Little Guns vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #42 - Precision Shooting With Buckshot - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #44 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #8 - The Rags O' Truth - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #10 - The Water Box O' Truth - Page 1
    The Box O' Truth #40 - Deflected Bullets and the Box O' Truth - Page 1
    Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3

The shotgun loaded w/ buck shot is my home defense choice.
    Top- 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Magnum
    Bottom- 12 gauge Remington 870 Express Magnum
    IMG_1169[1].jpg
    Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3

Billy_Madison

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Houston
    Mossberg 20ga with #3 Buckshot stays by my bed with 5 in the tube. I don't chamber one so he gets to hear the classic pump sound

FNX-40 with 14 Federal Premium Hydrashocks is about 2 feet away

I want a 12ga pump or semi auto for my primary defense haven't bought one yet

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I like Glocks. My primary HD pistol if the same as my duty pistol and EDC pistol. When packing the 9mm its Corbon DPX, when packing the 40 its Buffalo Bore 155gr GoldDot. Did I mention I like Glocks? When in a CQB "fighting in structures" situation a pistol is much handier than any carbine or SBR.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I don't chamber one so he gets to hear the classic pump sound

Never understood the logic of this one. If I were a no-goodnik who heard a shotgun being racked, I would think, "Oh shit- I'm going to have to kill this guy before he kills me!"

"Never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Never understood the logic of this one. If I were a no-goodnik who heard a shotgun being racked, I would think, "Oh shit- I'm going to have to kill this guy before he kills me!"

"Never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Ditto. I want any shots I have to fire to be a complete surprise to them. If they're in my house I'm not giving any warning or asking any questions.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Keep assorted guns stashed around the house. H&K USP 45 and wifes M&P 9mm in the bedroom. Winchester Defender 12 gauge in the pantry. Carry a Colt Defender 45 on my hip. Keep a AR-15 in 300 Blackout with an 8" barrel in the computer room.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Not to mention there is a possibility you won't even have the time to rack a round. Sometimes fractions of a second mean the difference between life and death; I want every advantage I can get...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not to mention there is a possibility you won't even have the time to rack a round. Sometimes fractions of a second mean the difference between life and death; I want every advantage I can get...

So does that mean you should keep your home defense gun with a round chambered? I've never felt comfortable with that, I probably haven't been using my guns enough to feel that way yet.

Top Bottom