• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    So does that mean you should keep your home defense gun with a round chambered? I've never felt comfortable with that, I probably haven't been using my guns enough to feel that way yet.

Guns go off when people put their "booger picker on the bang switch." A gun in a holster won't go off. A gun on a table won't go off. A gun in a drawer won't go off. . . . . Put a person's grubby fingers in the area, and the gun might go off. If you drop a gun, let it hit the ground. Grabbing for it, might pull the trigger.

My HD weapon is point and bang. With a couple extra magazines just cause if things go really bad.
    DK Firearms

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So does that mean you should keep your home defense gun with a round chambered? I've never felt comfortable with that, I probably haven't been using my guns enough to feel that way yet.

Yeah, ideally you want to have your gun at it's highest level of readiness, because you just never know. What if you wake up and you don't hear someone breaking in, they are already inside, on top of you, stabbing you. Maybe that's a ridiculous example but, point being, you want as few steps between you and shooting an attacker. One thing I'd recommend, take a holster like a BH Serpa or similar kydex holster, find a cabinet or something wood you don't mind "modifying" and screw the holster to it. This works great on the side of a bed, cabinet right next to the bed, etc. This way the gun is secured and trigger guard protected, but it's still quick to get to.

The thing is, once you see and understand the physical design of most modern handguns, you'll begin to understand that it's about a one in a billion chance the gun will ever go of on it's own. With most modern handguns, the only way it's going off is if the trigger is pressed, so watch the trigger finger index, and have the trigger guard protected when it's not in use, and you'll be fine.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hey if you're not comfortable yet that's your call. I always keep 'em chambered, but your risk level is up to you. Just make sure you understand the risks.

I have to keep my guns locked up (but close at hand) at night because I have a plethora of kids running around the house. Unlocking it in the middle of night will definitely take longer than racking a slide, but then again I've "hardened" the entrances to my house and have an alarm. Anyone braking in will definitely wake me up in time, and it will take a quite a while to hack through with an axe or sledgehammer to get inside. Plenty of time and alert to pop up and punch in a code real quick.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    I have 3 guns in my room now that are chambered and I am fully comfortable with it. I keep my handguns chambered, my SR9c and my 2 old 4 5/8" 45LC Ruger Vaqueros.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I like Sigs idea of the bed holster. I know the NRA store sells something like that.

Until I get ammo, my AR is my home defense gun, so I can't holster that. I keep a loaded mag in at all times, but no round chambered. Thats condition 3, right?

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    which room are we talking about?

bedroom - Kimber 1911.....living room - S&W .44 revolver

thats a great idea. question- how do you keep your kimber in your living room? hid behind sofa? behind tv? do you use a gun safe or just hide in a good spot? i wanna keep my .357 hid in my living room and keep my g17 in my bedroom......:1zhelp:

theblakester

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Unfortunately, I don't know too much about hand guns, so I can't comment on that. I will say that IMHO it's not a good idea keeping a loaded and fully chambered shotgun w/ the action closed. Safeties can fail on a shotgun when dropped bumped against a wall etc. I know my 870s don't have a hammer-block safety; the safety just blocks the trigger from being pulled. Plus, I don't want to have to fumble around w/ a safety in a high stress/life threatening situation when I'm half asleep in the dark at 3 am. I keep my shotguns w/ safety off, full mag tube, 1 in the receiver, but I keep the chamber open. In this position I know the gun can't fire w/ the bolts open, and all I have to do is slam the action forward (schuck!) and I'm ready to go. Plus I'll get 1 extra round in a gun w/ limited ammo capacity. There are no kids in the house, and I don't keep them stored where they can fall over which would allow the action to close on its own. That being said, for safety reasons, I'm still kinda on the fence about taking the one out of the chamber and keeping it "cruiser ready" or hammer down on an empty chamber, slide unlocked, safety off and a full mag tube. That way you won't have to mess with the slide release. Just grab and rack (schuck-schuck!), and you're good to go.

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    This...

0706001418.jpg

and this...

100_0291.jpg

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    So does that mean you should keep your home defense gun with a round chambered?

Yes. Any quality gun manufactured in the last 100 years can be safely stored this way. It's vital that in an emergency you are ready to go immediately. WHy work against yourself by creating more steps you have to complete in order to be ready? That's helping the bad guy; not you.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Yes. Any quality gun manufactured in the last 100 years can be safely stored this way. It's vital that in an emergency you are ready to go immediately. WHy work against yourself by creating more steps you have to complete in order to be ready? That's helping the bad guy; not you.
    and by that he ment a 1911 i keep 1 by bed 1 on the hip as long as i am awake one mommas side and the ar by the bed all cond 1

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Guns go off when people put their "booger picker on the bang switch." A gun in a holster won't go off. A gun on a table won't go off. A gun in a drawer won't go off. . . . . Put a person's grubby fingers in the area, and the gun might go off. If you drop a gun, let it hit the ground. Grabbing for it, might pull the trigger.

My HD weapon is point and bang. With a couple extra magazines just cause if things go really bad.

All the weapons around the house have one in the tube, safety off except the M1991A1. They are placed so that as one firearm is emptied, another is within reach and ready. The idea is to retreat from the threat and grab a weapon and then advance on the threat firing point-blank until empty and grab another firearm until the threat is eliminated.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    All the weapons around the house have one in the tube, safety off except the M1991A1. They are placed so that as one firearm is emptied, another is within reach and ready. The idea is to retreat from the threat and grab a weapon and then advance on the threat firing point-blank until empty and grab another firearm until the threat is eliminated.
    there it is and fight to the long gun

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Heavily modified remington 870 with streamlight C4 strobe for diversion, first round flash bang from ATG, all subsequent rounds are ficcicio (or however you spell it) flechette rounds for maximum trauma. When I want to get down to some serious wet work, I always go for my trusty NAA .22 short! :)

"When SHTF, If A has bullets but no food, and B has food but no bullets, then A has food."

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1305720615896.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1305720615896.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 146

atticus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    West Texas
    Mossberg 500 12ga. 18.5" barrel hanging horizontal in the closet, above the door (inside the closet, out of sight); handgun (s&w 22 in .45 ACP) or (CZ75 in 9mm +p) on the nightstand; wife's handgun (s&w 640 in .38+p or walther PPS in 9mm +p) on her nightstand; hound dog for alert and electronic noisemakers at each outside door. Just sayin.'

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    Heavily modified remington 870 with streamlight C4 strobe for diversion, first round flash bang from ATG, all subsequent rounds are ficcicio (or however you spell it) flechette rounds for maximum trauma. When I want to get down to some serious wet work, I always go for my trusty NAA .22 short! :)

"When SHTF, If A has bullets but no food, and B has food but no bullets, then A has food."

Then A has someone hunting him. Just like you're taught in kindergarten, better to share and work together. Better to have someone helping you and watching your back than to play alone.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    im a newbie to the gun world, but I think you might find a Taurus Judge handy. I know alot of people dont recommend it for accuracy but for home defense it does the job well. You can probably use birdshot and spread your shot but not much penetration.

YouTube - ‪The Judge‬‏

No. Not only inaccurate but underpowered. Relying on pain and/or fear to stop someone from killing you is not a sound plan.

The truth? Anything that's worth a damn at incapacitating an angry mofo that wants you dead is going to go through walls. Plan accordingly and train, train, train. There isn't really such a thing as "over-penetration." If a bullet reaches the vital organs of your target, it has done its job. There is such a thing as under-penetration, and it gets people killed. If your shot doesn't reach vital organs and/or vital structures in your target, it has failed.

Top Bottom