• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    First a hunting story.

Had a friend that had a friend that offered to let us hunt his "ranch". Being from central Texas. People call 50acres a ranch. So I didn't know what to expect.

Well we load up and pick his friend up. Then we start driving towards Paint Rock Tx from Ballenger Tx. After a while and nothing in site, I asked the guy where his ranch was. He replied that we just past the property line 8 miles back. We have another mile to the gate.

Yeah....

The ranch turned out to be a real ranch. Not some trap people call a ranch. 10k plus acres. In the morning we shot deer. Same thing at dusk. This place had whitetails the size of mule deer. Antler bases as big as your wrist.

So what? You get up at 530am. Freeze your butt off. Stand by a tree or sit in a deer blind. Get maybe 30mins of hunt rush. Bang, deer dead. Then you get to drag some dead weight. Ive lost count of the half breed goats Ive laid to rest on a dinner plate....

The most fun was shooting the cottontails and jackrabbits. Hunting the quail with an English pointer and Brittney spaniel. That took all day. The cottontails at night. The jacks when the dogs pointed them out. I got more enjoyment squeezing the guts out of a cottontail then the 10secs of sight picture on a whitetail. Lots more trigger time. Minute by minute hunting.

This hunting trip was free. I wouldn't hunt deer if I had to pay for it. IMHO.The price some people charge for a lease or single hunt....they have lost their ever loving mind. Beef is cheaper by the pound. Rabbit is even cheaper. If youve never priced the cost to get a deer processed if you can't do it yourself...Heres an example. $65 to carve it up. $6 a pound to process into what you want. No way in hell.

Im a native Texan. Forth gen. I don't like deer hunting. It's boring.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Your doin it for the wrong reason.

Not meant offensivly but it seems you hunt for a different reason than most hunters which is probably why you don't enjoy it.

I see the kill as a reward for the patience involved. As for cost, store bought hamburger SUCKS, farm raised beef is 10 times better and deer is 10 times better than that, IMHO.

To each his own, at least you gave it a shot.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't hunt deer anymore, but we never did it out of blinds, we did it out of hunting vehicles driving around & looking for them.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My dad was an avid hunter. He'd go day after day in search of that big one to put in the freezer. He hunted for the meat, not the trophy. I've never had any interest in hunting... but I love to fish.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I shoot paper. Meat is found at butcher shop much cheaper than a deer lease and fuel to get to lease.

Sent from V'ger via Epsilon Nine.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Having grown up with "real" ranches on both sides of my family I get what you're saying. We used to sell guided hunts for a living. For excitement and shooting I absolutely love hunting rabbits at night, doves or anything with dogs (quail, hogs, etc.).

Deer hunting is different. I love deer hunting for the hunt. The tracking, the patience, the skill, the rattling, being close to nature, seeing deer and other animals interact. It's completely different, and I like it for completely different reasons. I also love deer meat, but it's more about the hunt. That's why I prefer to not sit in a blind waiting for a feeder to go off (but would still do it to fill a freezer or balance the population).

It's kinda like football vs baseball. I like them both, for different reasons.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't like deer hunting. It's boring.

I can totally understand where you're coming from, but deer hunting doesn't have to be defined by a feeder and a stand or blind. I am sure you'd find more pleasure out of hunting deer the "real" way....scouting and stalking on land where there is no non-natural source of food, i.e., bait. The problem then becomes where...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Loved to hunt, wish I still could - but leases being what they are, it's just not worth it. Enjoyed the comradarie as much as anything else, and really enjoyed having the kids along - had some very special, memorable times over the years!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    When you rattle and have a huge buck in rut come running in, pissed off, looking for a fight it's an awesome sight. I've had does come in less than 10 ft away from me too. It's a completely different experience.

The only problem is that you need a good chunk of land to do it since you keep moving all day long. Go through your rattling routine (patent pending ) then move a half mile down to your next spot. Repeat as necessary, all day long. Either make a huge circle or have someone pick you up after the sun is down. Used to carry a small wooden folding stool like this:
    41XNnbqHJHL._AA300_.jpg

Oh, and don't forget to pack a sandwich for lunch or you'll be real hungry

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To the OP, were you hunting a high fenced game ranch? I don't think I would enjoy it near as much as hunting ''wild'' deer. I've seen many where you can walk by inside 100 yrds talking to someone with a marching band following behind and the deer just look at you. Without some kind of challenge it loses it's apppeal for me.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I've seen many where you can walk by inside 100 yrds talking to someone with a marching band following behind and the deer just look at you.

And that whole thing about a deer's overly acute sense of smell goes right out the window when they become used to routine feedings. My son killed a 7.5 year-old bruiser last year, the morning after he absent-mindedly took a piss not 15 feet from the feeder.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for posting the picture, because I would have never been able to envision what a "small wooden folding stool" would look like. LOL!

You're welcome Mr. Smarty Pants. It's central to have the proper stool if you're gonna carry it and walk all day long. I'd hate for someone to try it carrying this by mistake

ebfgp.net-wooden-chairs.jpg

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I could see why you think deer hunting is boring especially the days when you come back with nothing. You ask yourself if it was all worthwhile... the expenses, effort, getting up super-early, etc... This past season I was next to my son when he got his first kill..... I would not trade those memories for all the money in the world... but to each his own..... I personally think fishing is boring.... I have some buddies of mine trying to convince me otherwise.....

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    I could see why you think deer hunting is boring especially the days when you come back with nothing. You ask yourself if it was all worthwhile... the expenses, effort, getting up super-early, etc... This past season I was next to my son when he got his first kill..... I would not trade those memories for all the money in the world... but to each his own..... I personally think fishing is boring.... I have some buddies of mine trying to convince me otherwise.....

i went turkey hunting this past weekend - didnt bring one home - but got a good look at a big tom - just couldnt call him in close enough......i had a blast. sitting out in the Lord's nature - away from the hustle and bustle....its not for everybody, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.....and I'll be in a deer blind come November

Top Bottom