• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Actually, this entire thread is funny - frankly IDGAF what you think of hunting....

Bout time. Someone thats not as wound up tight as a women who just dropped her cell phone in the toilet.

From women decorating deer stands to horny deer. You'd think someone cussed in church saying deer hunting was boring. Little lone calling the fluckers, half breed goats.

If I could to take a buck with a 20mm, The boring level would go way down. Quick.

One time I had bought a real fancy rifle. A Browning A-bolt, Medaillion, with boss, in 7mm mag. Topped with a burris scope.

This was when the boss was first coming out from Browning. This Kentucky fool decided to shoot it off the hood of my truck with no hearing protection. The muzzle blast wave con-caved the hood as it shot. This fool ears almost bled. One round was enough for his dumb arse. Too funny.

Anyway, I took my baby out to 150 acres on its first hunt. Stood by some round bails and waited. Ill be damned if it didnt start raining. Thank You famous quick Texas down pour. I was more worried about my rifle then hunting. It was at that moment I swore to never take a prettier rifle then the truck to hunt with. Especially for a half breed goat.

The horror of it all....

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I used to kinda feel the same way as the original poster felt but as I get more and more into hunting I find I really like it. I was introduced to hunting late in life (I'm a geezer) but wish I had developed a hunting interest many years ago.
    The skill it takes to walk and stalk, or the patience to hunt from a blind and make a perfect shot, is why they call it hunting instead of shooting. I enjoy being out in the wilds and hearing the sounds of nature such as the call of a bob white or a pack of coyotes excitedly yapping before the evening hunt. People that take those electronic devices ( IPad, Kindle or Nook, Etc...) to the blinds are missing a lot. I have a Kindle fire and like to mess with it but it stays back at the home base when I'm out in the woods.
    If we only hunted or fished to save money on meat we would never hunt or fish. It's probably cheaper to be a crack addict than a full fledged hunter when you consider the cost of equiptment and meat processing.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Meat processing is free if you do it yourself. You can get into a low end hunting rifle w/ scope for ~$300. Really the $$$ is just access to land.

Part of the reason the farmers and ranchers started charging is because they can't make much money farming and ranching any more (I know, that's where my family comes from). Regulations are geared towards helping the large industrial operations and screwed up those markets (Again, first hand knowledge). A lot of those farmers and ranchers had to adapt or risk losing their land. So when people complain about the cost of a lease, you can thank the yahoos in D.C. for mucking up something good yet again.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That, and the oilfield folks outta Houston, etc, willing to spend HUGE bucks on a lease. Can't blame the farmer/rancher - if someone is willing to spend $5k on a deer lease, he's gonna take it - and his neighbors will be wanting the same $$$!!

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i lucked out and found someone who has deer, hogs and other stuff on their property here in houston. they aint charging me, only thing is they got a donkey that has taken a liking to me and it follows me all around.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    i lucked out and found someone who has deer, hogs and other stuff on their property here in houston. they aint charging me, only thing is they got a donkey that has taken a liking to me and it follows me all around.

Don't really go there for the hunting, do ya?!

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Embarassed%2BYellow%2BSmiley%2BFace%2BGifs%2BImages%2Bfor%2Byour%2Bprofile%2Band%2Bweb%2Bsite.jpg

caught me

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For those that DON'T know the joke......

Bill's all excited about his new rifle. So, he goes bear hunting in Alaska.

The first bear he sees is a little brown bear, and he kills it with his first shot. There is a tap on his shoulder, and he turns around to see a big black bear.

The black bear says "You've got two choices. One, I maul you to death or two, we have sex."

Bill bends over for the bear. He's sore for 2 days, but he recovers and vows revenge.

Bill heads out on another trip to Alaska and he finds the black bear and kills him. At that moment there is a tap on his shoulder.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A huge grizzly is standing right behind him.

The grizzly says, "That was a big mistake. You've got 2 choices, either I maul you to death or we have sex."

Bill bends over. He survives, but he's really hurting and takes quite a bit of time to recover, and, he's outraged. Sure enough, he heads back to Alaska and finds the grizzly and shoots him at point blank range.

There's a tap on his shoulder. He turns around to find an enormous polar bear, and the polar bear says, "You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?"
    [/FONT]​

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Loved to hunt, wish I still could - but leases being what they are, it's just not worth it. Enjoyed the comradarie as much as anything else, and really enjoyed having the kids along - had some very special, memorable times over the years!

+1....I've been lucky enough to hunt on a small lease the last few years for ~$400/per year. I'm at the point in my life that I love "just getting out in the woods", more than the actual hunting it's self. I had some memorable times with my younger daughter, when I first took her deer hunting. We never took a deer, but she always talks about the time we were in the deer stand and it was 27 degree's. I'm planning on taking two 10 year old nephews this year. Can't wait.

I know it can get pretty boring when you don't see anything, but hanging around the fire at night with your hunting buddies and the BS and beer is flowing pretty good.....well that always seems to make up for a boring days' hunt.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I know it can get pretty boring when you don't see anything, but hanging around the fire at night with your hunting buddies and the BS and beer is flowing pretty good.....well that always seems to make up for a boring days' hunt.

I haven't been on a "real" hunt in years, super excited that I'll actually be in Texas this season, and I agree was never into hunting or firearms when I was younger but always got excited when my dad would take me to the lease with him because growing up with 4 sisters I treasured that father son bonding. Will never forget the first time I took a hog, it was my first kill and my dad got it on video and you could here the pride in his voice when it fell over on one shot

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom