• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    El Paso
    I shoot over on the west side of town off of Artcraft a place called the wall on the right side of the road heading up and out to golf ball (doppler radar)If you all know what I mean. kinda new here, to the forum that is

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    i have to work. I think my days off are tuesday and thursday next week if anyone has the same schedule i would really like to see some other places to shoot. I usually go to the ft. bliss rod and gun club.

CEOofEVIL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    El Paso
    New guy on the forum here. I actually specifically searched for "El Paso Gun Forums" on google and ended up here. Pretty cool we have our own corner of the internet!

I've lived here in EP all my life, and have been shooting out by the CBP station out in Santa Teresa on and off for about 10 years as near as I can figure (only been shooting seriously for the past 5 years or so however). I knew that spot was pretty famous in the area, but I think it's pretty dang cool that other folks on the internet frequent the same place!

First, I must confess that I quite feel bad as I've been out there a few times when other folks were about and I just sort of kept to myself. If any of ya'll happen to have been one of those folks, I hope I didn't offend you. I'm a bit softspoken and can be shy, so I tend to keep to myself. Oops! I need to make a better effort at being outgoing :). I also tend to use the other side of the range if someone is on one side, just for safeties sake and to give folks their room if they need/want it - again, I hope this doesn't come across as unfriendly.

I really dig and appreciate that here in El Paso we have plenty of Desert to practice and shoot in. I recently visited my father in Dallas and quickly realized that many other locales don't have the option of just picking a safe place in the boonies to go shoot. I haven't been to the Rod & Gun Club in years (since my grandfather taught me to shoot when I was around 12 or so) which is odd considering I live a maximum of 10 minutes away from it. I really do need to get out out there and check it out again. As of late I've been doing the majority of my shooting at the Indoor Range operated by the EPCC Law Enforcement Training Academy - I LOVE that place! I'd heard about it before, but didn't think I would be aloud to shoot there as I am not LE or Military. I didn't realize that the range is indeed open to the public as long as you have a CHL or take their free safety class. It's open week days from 5PM -9:30PM and 9AM - 4PM on the weekends if memory serves correctly. $40 for 40 visits, and free targets as well. I was just there last night with my wife as a matter of fact. Great Place to get your practice in if you want to escape the weather! The wife and I tend to head out to Santa Teresa to practice training that wouldn't be practical at EPCC or if we want a little bit more freedom to move around.

I perfer Self Defense style shooting myself as well as plinking, and thats usually what the wife and I end up doing. Kudos to you guys for keeping Santa Teresa clean too! The east side of the range is pretty spotless compared to the west side. We or any friends we shoot with make a serious effort to leave the place as we found it and not contribute to the mess. Anything we take in comes back out. Lord knows those berms are probably more lead than dirt, and the ground more brass and plastic from all of the emptys left behind over the years.

Anyways, applogies for the novel of a first post. Happy shooting to all my fellow El Pasoans!

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    New guy on the forum here. I actually specifically searched for "El Paso Gun Forums" on google and ended up here. Pretty cool we have our own corner of the internet!

I've lived here in EP all my life, and have been shooting out by the CBP station out in Santa Teresa on and off for about 10 years as near as I can figure (only been shooting seriously for the past 5 years or so however). I knew that spot was pretty famous in the area, but I think it's pretty dang cool that other folks on the internet frequent the same place!

First, I must confess that I quite feel bad as I've been out there a few times when other folks were about and I just sort of kept to myself. If any of ya'll happen to have been one of those folks, I hope I didn't offend you. I'm a bit softspoken and can be shy, so I tend to keep to myself. Oops! I need to make a better effort at being outgoing :). I also tend to use the other side of the range if someone is on one side, just for safeties sake and to give folks their room if they need/want it - again, I hope this doesn't come across as unfriendly.

I really dig and appreciate that here in El Paso we have plenty of Desert to practice and shoot in. I recently visited my father in Dallas and quickly realized that many other locales don't have the option of just picking a safe place in the boonies to go shoot. I haven't been to the Rod & Gun Club in years (since my grandfather taught me to shoot when I was around 12 or so) which is odd considering I live a maximum of 10 minutes away from it. I really do need to get out out there and check it out again. As of late I've been doing the majority of my shooting at the Indoor Range operated by the EPCC Law Enforcement Training Academy - I LOVE that place! I'd heard about it before, but didn't think I would be aloud to shoot there as I am not LE or Military. I didn't realize that the range is indeed open to the public as long as you have a CHL or take their free safety class. It's open week days from 5PM -9:30PM and 9AM - 4PM on the weekends if memory serves correctly. $40 for 40 visits, and free targets as well. I was just there last night with my wife as a matter of fact. Great Place to get your practice in if you want to escape the weather! The wife and I tend to head out to Santa Teresa to practice training that wouldn't be practical at EPCC or if we want a little bit more freedom to move around.

I perfer Self Defense style shooting myself as well as plinking, and thats usually what the wife and I end up doing. Kudos to you guys for keeping Santa Teresa clean too! The east side of the range is pretty spotless compared to the west side. We or any friends we shoot with make a serious effort to leave the place as we found it and not contribute to the mess. Anything we take in comes back out. Lord knows those berms are probably more lead than dirt, and the ground more brass and plastic from all of the emptys left behind over the years.

Anyways, applogies for the novel of a first post. Happy shooting to all my fellow El Pasoans!

Howdy. That's pretty much the same way I found this site too.

I've never been shooting anywhere but Ft Bliss. That place out in New Mexico, it's okay to just show up at any reasonable time and shoot as long as you clean up after yourself? Would be great to be able to set up targets and get some real practice in, not bullseye style pistol shooting.

CEOofEVIL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    El Paso
    Howdy Kabar,

Since it really isn't a formal range (more of just a berm where folks have been shooting since god knows when) there isn't really anything formal about the place. I certainly am not an expert on the place, in fact I've been doing a lot of back reading on this forum and it seems great folks like randmplumbingllc are the reason the east side of the range has been staying especially clean for the past few years. Really cool!

Just be safe and clean up after yourself and I can't see anyone hassling you. A few years back it wasn't uncommon for the Dona Ana Country Sheriff to drive out to the spot and check things out. They mostly just wanted to make sure you aren't doing something some dumb like drinking and shooting. Lately (the past year or so) when I've been out there I haven't seen the Sheriffs. Otherwise it's not uncommon for CBP officers to drive up/down the road that bisects the sides of the range, but they rarely stop and chat with you. There was even this crazy Radar Dish looking thing setup well behind the range berms on top of another berm to the north up until about 1 1/2 years ago - so the area is frequented by CBP/DHS officers. A friend of mine remarks that he doesn't feel safe shooting there since it's so close to the border, but honestly since there is such a heavy Law Enforcement presence in the area it's quiet safe. There are at times the inresponsible shooters who climb to the tops of the berms and shoot out into the desert, and do other dumb things, but that's pretty much anywhere you go. It seems like all around there are good people that shoot out there. Just be smart and safe (and clean up after yourself) and You'll be OK.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

Welcome.

Yeah, we tend to shoot at Santa Teresa quite a bit, since it is pretty close to home (about 10 miles)

"Kudos to you guys for keeping Santa Teresa clean too! The east side of the range is pretty spotless compared to the west side. We or any friends we shoot with make a serious effort to leave the place as we found it and not contribute to the mess. Anything we take in comes back out. Lord knows those berms are probably more lead than dirt, and the ground more brass and plastic from all of the emptys left behind over the years. "

Yeah, we try to keep the one side clean. Tried to do do both sides, but the slobs wouldn't have that. It is all we can do to keep the small side clean. Been doing that for about 2 years now.

We enjoy the desert shooting much more then at the commercial ranges. We can shoot whatever we want, whenever we want, without getting yelled at for rapid fire, the range is HOT, the range is COLD, no Title 2 stuff, etc. The best part is that it is Free !, which leaves more money for ammo !

In the next few weeks I will post a date that we will be out there. Would be kinda nice to do another group shoot, meet new people and just socialize a bit.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    hey can someone email me directions. I would really enjoy finding a new place to shoot. My schedule changed once again so it looks like i may have sundays off for at least a couple of weeks. i live on the east side of town so directions from I10 east would be fine. thanks in advance.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    hey can someone email me directions. I would really enjoy finding a new place to shoot. My schedule changed once again so it looks like i may have sundays off for at least a couple of weeks. i live on the east side of town so directions from I10 east would be fine. thanks in advance.

Take I-10W to Artcroft Rd. Drive on Artcroft Rd. about 9 miles, until you see a sign for the US Border Patrol Station. Turn right at this sign onto US 9. Drive 1 mile and you will see a gate under the power lines, drive down this road and you will arrive at the range. The coordinates are
    31°49'37" N
    106°42'33" W

CEOofEVIL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    El Paso
    This satellite photo shows where it is in relation to the rest of the city as well, should you find visual aid's helpful. It's the location "above" or North of the road (the other are is the CBP station). Funny, You can actually see two shooters and their truck on the west side of the range.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

randmplumbingllc:

Would you happen to be the guy with the NFA toys? I always seem to hear something going on Auto . If so, I know I've unofficially met/seen you out there a few times. On one occassion a few months back my wife and I were on the East side of the range when you arrived, and then moved to the west. I hope I didn't offend you by moving, we just thought it might be a little better to be on the other side for what we were practicing (Close Range stuff). I should have introduced myself and handled that a bit better - sorry 'bout that.

I understand about only being able to manage one side of the range, it seems like new piles of crap appear out of no-where on a regular basis out there. I don't understand how some folks think it's a great idea to go dump a fridge out there, ugh. Then again, illegal dumping is just a huge issue in El Paso in general.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    thanks for the directions. i hope to make next weekend. Hey Just a heads up. the Mesilla valley sheet range is having its official grand opening this Saturday 9 am to 12. I wish i wasn't working. I would have liked to attend. this jobs schedule never allows for me to really enjoy a bunch of time off. i am going to put that on my list of things to do. I have never shot skeet but anything having to do with firing weapons is fun. time to learn. then again i don't need to spend on another weapon as i my list of fun guns to have begins with s&w 610 to go along with my glock 20 then maybe another shotgun.

Grand Opening for Las Cruces Skeet Trap This Weekend | KTSM News Channel 9

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    randmplumbingllc:

Would you happen to be the guy with the NFA toys? I always seem to hear something going on Auto . If so, I know I've unofficially met/seen you out there a few times. On one occassion a few months back my wife and I were on the East side of the range when you arrived, and then moved to the west. I hope I didn't offend you by moving, we just thought it might be a little better to be on the other side for what we were practicing (Close Range stuff). I should have introduced myself and handled that a bit better - sorry 'bout that.

I understand about only being able to manage one side of the range, it seems like new piles of crap appear out of no-where on a regular basis out there. I don't understand how some folks think it's a great idea to go dump a fridge out there, ugh. Then again, illegal dumping is just a huge issue in El Paso in general.

Yeah.....that would be me. I remember you. You drive some kind of mini SUV, don't you ?

The garbage/dumping is a huge issue here. Can't understand what SOME people are thinking. Why would you bring computers, tv's and glass bottles out there.....shoot it.....and leave it there. I don't get it.

I guess these people were never taught to respect the desert/range. What they don't realize, is that the property that we shoot on, is private property. The owners can close the gate at any time. I would not blame them one bit either.

Just screws the few of us that respect the place.

Top Bottom