• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is what I'm talking about. I don't think it was like this on my last Mosin, all those loopy ass marks on the guide rod/conmector that probably scratch whatever the hell its sliding on.

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0628-2.jpg

The round marks are a dull or damaged end mill. Doesn't help that it was being fed through way too quickly, either.

Piss poor finish on the metal is common for '42 and later guns. Something about Germans in the front yard... Get something '41 and earlier and it'll be much better-build because production was lower. Or a Finn. Those were hand-crafted rifles.

Remember that there was a point in WWII that the Soviets weren't bothering to paint some of the tanks as they left assembly. They'd roll off the line, get ammo and a crew and go straight into the fight. There were some extremely desperate years there.
    Capitol Armory ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Get a dremel tool and smooth it out. Keep in mind those guns were made in a huge war machine when it was quantity over quality.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The round marks are a dull or damaged end mill. Doesn't help that it was being fed through way too quickly, either.

Piss poor finish on the metal is common for '42 and later guns. Something about Germans in the front yard... Get something '41 and earlier and it'll be much better-build because production was lower. Or a Finn. Those were hand-crafted rifles.

Remember that there was a point in WWII that the Soviets weren't bothering to paint some of the tanks as they left assembly. They'd roll off the line, get ammo and a crew and go straight into the fight. There were some extremely desperate years there.

Its ironic, and funny you say that, because this is a 33 Tula from before the war. My last mosin was a 42 Ihzvesk and it didn't have that problem and was extremely clean.

This one was arsenal refinished though. The rifling is strong but does not appear to be counterbored, though the end of the muzzle has no finish...

The lower receiver/magwell is Ihzvesk and the cocking knob/safety is ihzvesk stamped, but some other parts of the bolt are Tula. The receiver is super clean, and the right rear part is fully machined unlike the ihzvesk. Its a hex.

Thanks, hkusp. I was planning on doing that with sandpaper as I don't have a dremel wheel.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I don't have an MN at the moment but I figure I might as well get one. Probably going to order an M44 this weekend. Just got my C&R recently and I've been patiently waiting for my bonus so I can go on a shopping spree.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Where do you order m44s from when you have a c&r?

Anywhere you feel like ordering one from!

Here is the list of vendors I mailed a signed copy of my C&R to when I first got it...

CRList-1.jpg

I also enclosed a letter asking to be put on their mailing list.

Cheers! M2

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

Here is the list of vendors I mailed a signed copy of my C&R to when I first got it...

CRList-1.jpg

Cheers! M2

I meant I heard that once you get a C&R than M44's are easy to find. How is it easier?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble

Cheers! M2

Holy shit! Looks like I've got a lot more mailing to do. I've sent mine to about 1/4 that many.

I meant I heard that once you get a C&R than M44's are easy to find. How is it easier?

They're not really easier to find, just easier to get.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Get a dremel tool and smooth it out. Keep in mind those guns were made in a huge war machine when it was quantity over quality.

Its ironic, and funny you say that, because this is a 33 Tula from before the war. My last mosin was a 42 Ihzvesk and it didn't have that problem and was extremely clean.

This one was arsenal refinished though. The rifling is strong but does not appear to be counterbored, though the end of the muzzle has no finish...

The lower receiver/magwell is Ihzvesk and the cocking knob/safety is ihzvesk stamped, but some other parts of the bolt are Tula. The receiver is super clean, and the right rear part is fully machined unlike the ihzvesk. Its a hex.

Thanks, hkusp. I was planning on doing that with sandpaper as I don't have a dremel wheel.

Holy crap, no! That's history you're erasing!!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Holy shit! Looks like I've got a lot more mailing to do. I've sent mine to about 1/4 that many.

Not sure if all those are still good, I think a few came back undeliverable...

They're not really easier to find, just easier to get.

Exactly!

Holy crap, no! That's history you're erasing!!

No kidding, which is why I recommend people do a little research on their particular Mosins before doing anything drastic!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Lol fine, i'll leave it be haha. Haven't changed anything, and I wont. Shot fine, ran 20 rounds through her the other day and then windex'd her up real good, and cleaned it after work to make sure i get all that corrosive salt out.

Didn't extract the cases to the right, some went up. I just don't like the gritty feel when I pull the bolt because of those defects, but if that's the way it was, i'll leave it be, I can live with it.

My main concern is that I just hope it doesn't mess up the thing that it's rubbing against and erode it away, that notch thing that the trigger moves. Excuse my lack of mosin parts knowledge

Also, the cocking knob is also all messed up like that too, it was probably cut from the same mill thing as the guide rod, because it is definitely not smooth. Lots of visible cut lines.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'd say do what you want with it, Jakashh. Its your gun and you're the one shooting it so if you don't like the feel then it is your choice whether to alter it or not. I think what some people are saying is that people should just see if they can find any interesting history behind their specific gun before altering one that may be more historically valuable than the typical Mosin. Barring any major historical significance I would say that you should do whatever it takes to let you enjoy the gun.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I've been looking into it, seeing what known features it has, stepped tang or whatever, machined this and that among other things. It's just a plain arsenal refinished (but not counterbored) Hex 1933 Tula 91/30, which is relatively special enough for me to want to keep the way it is. It's a good example of how rushed the soviets were during the war.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I never had mosinitis until now. I seriously think one is none, and two is one. I need as many as I can get, I want them all!

When do you think the supply of mosins will dry up, to the point where one day they'll be selling ihzvesk 91/30's for $300? Kinda like what happened to the SKS and the AK's? (minus the drying up on the AK part)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I never had mosinitis until now. I seriously think one is none, and two is one. I need as many as I can get, I want them all!

When do you think the supply of mosins will dry up, to the point where one day they'll be selling ihzvesk 91/30's for $300? Kinda like what happened to the SKS and the AK's? (minus the drying up on the AK part)

A couple more years, maybe. I was starting to think they'd dried up before the last batches came into the US.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Hopefully I own 20 by then so one day I can post a picture of my 20 Mosins when they are off the shelves and be like this guy

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'd rather own 3 Mosins than 3 PS3's...

I have never bought one yet but seriously considering the idea of getting 3 this weekend. A standard 91/30, an M38, and an M44 as I'll have a chance to pick up one of each.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been looking into it, seeing what known features it has, stepped tang or whatever, machined this and that among other things. It's just a plain arsenal refinished (but not counterbored) Hex 1933 Tula 91/30, which is relatively special enough for me to want to keep the way it is. It's a good example of how rushed the soviets were during the war.

33 is interwar. It's a good example of how backwards and pre-industrial the Soviet Union was, though.

Also, there's not much of a practical reason to put a better finish on that surface - it's just a clearance area. And as deep as those marks are, you're talking about taking .020" off to get rid of them. They look really deep.

Top Bottom