• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd rather own 3 Mosins than 3 PS3's...

I have never bought one yet but seriously considering the idea of getting 3 this weekend. A standard 91/30, an M38, and an M44 as I'll have a chance to pick up one of each.

One Mosin can kill 3 PS3s... with one shot, if you line them up.

A hundred PS3s can't kill a Mosin.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Whaddya mean

The USSR was an agrarian society that was dragged into the industrial era by Stalin right around WWII. But they never did get good at the whole industrial thing.

Think about this. In 1947, the Soviets didn't have the technology to make stamped receivers for AKs - that's where the milled receivers come from. A few years ago, I made a stamped AK receiver in someone's back yard, using a lot of tools that were improvised. Heck, when WWII hit, the Soviets were scrambling to find places to built planes and tanks. We had an entire auto industry that we could mobilize; when the war started, our President asked for more planes to be produced in a year than existed at all at that time, because we had the capacity.

Communist revolution was supposed to spring up among factory workers, in industrialized, "mature" societies. Instead, it found Russia and the surrounding countries; an agricultural economy.

Do some reading on the early years of the USSR. It's interesting and extremely sad.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Second time today I heard about that milled receiver as a bandaid to lack off technology to make stamped receivers. Nalioth mentioned it earlier.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Second time today I heard about that milled receiver as a bandaid to lack off technology to make stamped receivers. Nalioth mentioned it earlier.

Amazon.com: The Gun: C. J. Chivers: Books

Another interesting read. After reading it, I'm pretty well convinced that Mr. Kalashnikov had about as much to do with the design of "his rifle" as he did with the 63 Corvette. My money is on Schmeisser designing it instead... But unless Kalashnikov comes clean (he won't), we'll never know.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    So is recoil on this really supposed to be as bad as people complain about, or are they just being pussies? I went to ASC last week or so and shot 20 rounds of 147 gr on the bench wearing a T shirt, and it really wasn't bad at all? Maybe it's the 183 or 203 gr that gives it the bad rep, and not the 147?? What's the deal here? The only other rifle I had shot other than this mosin was my AR.

I once saw a pic of some guys bruised up shoulder after shooting an AK, and mind you, this guy is no tiny person at 6' tall. I have no bruises from this.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I dont know what the hell people are talking about when they say AK's kick. I feel like Im shooting a .22 when I shoot mine. And its not because Im huge. Anyone who says Ak's kick is a LIAR.

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    So is recoil on this really supposed to be as bad as people complain about, or are they just being pussies? I went to ASC last week or so and shot 20 rounds of 147 gr on the bench wearing a T shirt, and it really wasn't bad at all? Maybe it's the 183 or 203 gr that gives it the bad rep, and not the 147?? What's the deal here? The only other rifle I had shot other than this mosin was my AR.

I once saw a pic of some guys bruised up shoulder after shooting an AK, and mind you, this guy is no tiny person at 6' tall. I have no bruises from this.

I don't get it either. I've shot the AK and it does have some kick but it's not a bad kick and it certainly doesn't hurt. Real kick would be from a Mosin Nagant or a K98 Mauser.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If an 8 year old malnourished Nigerian kid can handle it, so can I lol

Based on the dinner plate in her lower lip, I think she's older than eight...

s130259289.jpg

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I love my Kalashnikov and my Mosin, as well as my 1895 Nagant Pistol, BUT...if the "Fit hit the shan" up close the AK47 would be grabbed by me first ! If at a distance, my Mosin, and the Nagant pistol tucked in my belt in either case .

Willisrad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I shot some 185 grain rounds from academy in my mosin for the first time yesterday, and I'm not going to lie, I was nervous.

But to be 100% honest, it wasn't that bad at all. Maybe it's the surplus ammo??

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some of the surplus stuff can hit hard, but honestly it's not all that bad. The worst recoil I've found in a Mosin was Igman 150 grain soft points. The stuff runs just shy of 3,000 FPS from a 91/30.

Otherwise, the rest of the commercial ammo I've tried is loaded noticeably lighter.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So does anyone have any good recommendations on where to pick up a decent Mosin at a fair price without having to drive hours from where I live or getting a C&R?

I live in the country just outside of a little town called Bay City about 80 miles south of Houston. I've been following the thread and have had a growing interest in getting a Mosin of my own to plink with. I was all set to purchase one from another member but he ended up changing his mind. I'd be willing to devote about $100-150 toward acquiring one but I don't have much for FFL transfer options near me and all of them are pretty expensive and really don't know if I want to go through the C&R process for one gun. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it and accept one of the choices?

Top Bottom