• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Not trying to sound too hipster-ish, but Djent/Technical Djent metal is about as obscure as it gets because it only recently gained popularity in the underground metal scene as an off-shoot of progressive metal within the last 4 years. I live my life by Djent; 95% of my regularly listening material consists of Djent bands, some of which are one-man projects in which the person wrote and recorded both guitar parts, and/or recorded/programmed the bass, drums, and vocals (if any) by themselves.

Since I'm seeing a lot of country and classics here, I don't guess many people will be into the screaming and death growls of some of the heavier bands, but I will say that there are some AMAZING instrumental bands out there; the audio clip for the solo at 2:16+ was not sped up for recording purposes.

For those interested, Periphery - The Walk (Instrumental) is also pretty good (best enjoyed using stereo headphones/speakers to get the full effect of the opening). The coolest part is unlike popular national acts, these guys play really small shows if/when they go on tour, so it's not only possible to get close to the band members, you can talk to/hang out with them pre/post-show (I've seen Periphery live 4 times now and have their signed tour poster from each visit).

[For those wondering, the term "Djent" refers to the gritty, metallic distortion on the sound the guitar makes, that's mostly unique to the genre. The "D" is (partially) silent.]
    Target Sports

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Jeane Michael Jarre. Electronic artist way from way before you could midi-sample on your phone. Pretty obscure, even in the Sound Warehouse days.

So imagine my surprise when I found myself watching him play using the Houston skyline for projector screens with half the city watching!

http://innerloophouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/George-O-Photo.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_Houston

After that, he actually got air play on the radio for a while in Houston. Now he's back to obscurity, except for this NASA connected footnote to history. It was a pretty good show.

Sent from magic cutting board

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I don't links since Pandora is my channel for music, but that's what Google is for. Just created this channel: Vintage Trouble. Rock Blues.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Joss Stone...Mark Broussard...Scott Joplin...
    We seem to have very similar tastes. I know all these artists and have been madly in love with Stone since long before those thoughts were legal. ;)

You do us all a great service by pointing out great music to the kiddos on the board, though. I doubt anyone under 30 will ever accidentally stumble across Scott Joplin.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, it's different.
    I've heard of The Normal but never really got into the music. It's not bad. I can imagine some moods where "Warm Leatherette" would be perfect.

Not trying to sound too hipster-ish, but Djent/Technical Djent metal ...
    Anytime a new sub-genre re-subdivides itself again (as in, adding a "Technical" sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-genre), then you've crossed over to hipster land.

And that's OK.

I'm listening to this stuff on a tube amp. To some people, that makes me a hipster. If discernment and a willingness to embrace things out of the mainstream define hipsters, well, sign me up. Embrace it. ;)

...these guys play really small shows if/when they go on tour, so it's not only possible to get close to the band members, you can talk to/hang out with them pre/post-show
    And that's the reward for discernment and embracing the peripheral - the involved experience. I've been lucky enough to be a part of an entertainment sub-genre and I know how deeply satisfying it can be to identify something good before it's been processed and pasteurized by our media conglomerates. You've found something you like. I say: Way cool. Keep on keepin' on.
    Jeane Michael Jarre. ... Pretty obscure, even in the Sound Warehouse days.
    Back then, he was often used for audiophile demos. See the hipster discussion, immediately above. Never was my cup of tea.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'll play. Houston band. Had the vinyl and tossed it. Still kicking myself. Whenever they sang guyana punch, they'd throw kool-aid over the audience.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've listened to ALOT of different kinds of music over the years, but one band that always stands out of them all for me was a band named "Mighty Sphincter". A long time ago I had their album, "The New Manson Family" and I have to say, though nowadays it's funny to listen to it, back then it is the only band that I can recall that kind of creeped me out.

The New Manson Family | Mighty Sphincter | Doug Clark | Phoenix Arizona Horror Punk Music

And now that I'm thinking about it, GG Allin has got to be up there as obscure as well. I think I had one album by him, but he was definitely a psycho.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Advocate: even Morannis' title "Oh so bucco" is a play on words. Ossobuco is Italian for "bone with a hole" and is a traditional Milanese meal of braised cross-cut Veal shank.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lee Michaels ("Do you know what I mean?"), Gary US Bonds (New Orleans), and Edwin Starr (WAR!). Sorry, TGT doesn't allow me to paste links but do yourselves a favor and look these songs up on Youtube.

Top Bottom