• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I still get all excited when I hear this classic and for some reason, I still remember the words

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Forget gangster rap, forget Satanic metal, forget even GG Allin. This is the filthist song I've ever heard in my life, and it was recorded in 1935!

NSFW:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you're into electric guitars, it is certain you have heard the name Les Paul. But how many people these days have actually heard his music? He and his wife Mary Ford were once so popular they had their own television show. But alas, since good music is dead in this country so go the tunes of Les Paul. And a shame, too, as he is in my opinion the greatest American guitar player ever to live.

Despite eventually developing crippling arthritis in both his hands which only allowed him the use of one finger, Les Paul kept right on playing every week in a NY night club, and people still drove from all around the country to see that one famous finger play. His fans were as devoted as they were small in number. Les Paul recently passed away; being remembered mostly by musically diligent rock, jazz, and country stars, a few die-hard fans, and grandparents who forgot about him for decades until reading his obituary.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What a weird show; one of less than a handful of things MTV ever did that was cool. Of course it was quickly canceled:

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're into electric guitars, it is certain you have heard the name Les Paul. But how many people these days have actually heard his music? He and his wife Mary Ford were once so popular they had their own television show. But alas, since good music is dead in this country so go the tunes of Les Paul. And a shame, too, as he is in my opinion the greatest American guitar player ever to live.

Despite eventually developing crippling arthritis in both his hands which only allowed him the use of one finger, Les Paul kept right on playing every week in a NY night club, and people still drove from all around the country to see that one famous finger play. His fans were as devoted as they were small in number. Les Paul recently passed away; being remembered mostly by musically diligent rock, jazz, and country stars, a few die-hard fans, and grandparents who forgot about him for decades until reading his obituary.

My parents had a Les Paul/Mary Ford album and as a child I remember sitting at my record player listening to it over and over again. Definite classic.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Les Paul. ...in my opinion the greatest American guitar player ever to live. ...
    I remember him for being *the* pioneer of multitrack recording. He developed a tool and used it well. It's too bad so many thousands of hacks have, in the years since, used that tool to produce truly lousy music that would not have been otherwise possible.

The longer version of the video you posted is one of my favorites since we get to hear him and Mary Ford talk about their then-radical multi-track technology on British television:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Something relaxing. Elmer Bernstein did the soundtracks of TWO of my favorite movies of all time: Robot Monster and..... Ghostbusters!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Not a movie but still a great song. The final extended version (with real cello) seems to be impossible to find on youtube (the versions they have are keyboard demos despite what the titles say). It was included on a rare Millenium Season 1 soundtrack under the title "Gehenna."

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I refuse to let this thread die. There's too much good music no one listens to anymore.

Let's go way back to that three month period in 1997 when David Bowie was popular again (thanks to piggy-backing on Trent Reznor):

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    And while we're speaking about Trent Reznor in 1997, here's a song that was big but now forgotten. At the time it was released it was the most expensive music video ever made.

Top Bottom