• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    From KXAN - Austin:

AUSTIN (KXAN) – The gunman who attacked the federal courthouse, the Mexican consulate and the Austin Police Department headquarters was killed by a single shot taken from 312 feet away by mounted patrol Sgt. Adam Johnson who also held the reigns of two horses.

Pretty impressive shot by any measure.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is a good shot.

Luck is when circumstance and preparation meet. He had to have some skill. He might not make that shot every time, but he did it when it mattered. Good on him

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Think about it for a minute. He was holding the horses with his weak hand, then draws the weapon (maybe a S&W M&P 40), aims (bullseye style, probably doesn't train that way), shoots one round and takes out bad guy at 104 yards.

I don't know, are we sure Acevedo is being straight up with us?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    With Acevedo, who knows.
    But it is a do able shot. You know what they say about cops, only have to be lucky once.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I'm trying to find reliable trajectory data for 40 S&W. I found some data that shows a drop of about a foot at 100 yards, but I'm not sure. Anybody have good data?

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I would say that even if the shot missed it still may have ended the shooting spree. Seemingly many spree shooters end their own lives after the first real sign of resistance. Even a shot nearby may have been enough if the guy did commit suicide.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm trying to find reliable trajectory data for 40 S&W. I found some data that shows a drop of about a foot at 100 yards, but I'm not sure. Anybody have good data?
    No data, but I used to shoot at steel at 100 yards with my handguns often. A straight hold would get consistant hits on man sized targets.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I guess that would mean there isn't a lot of drop then. I would think the front sight blade of a duty weapon would be awfully large at a 100 yard target. I've never tried to use any of my handguns at 100 yards, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I ran it through my ballistic calculator earlier using the BC and velocity of 180gr Winchester PDX (I believe that is supported be civvy branded ranger T) provided by the manufacturer and got a 100 yard drop of 10".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used to shoot at 12" plates at 100 yards and was able to get hits about 80% of the time after practicing with 9mm. With .40 I always went low but my reloads weren't really that hot since it was just cheap range ammo.

I feel confident I could hit a B26 with regularity on the range, under stress changes things.

Top Bottom